Crazy Millie dance... J. Morningstar help?

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My fiancee's millipedes sometimes flop around in the cage. When they are flopping, they sometimes hit the glass pretty hard. Is this normal or is it due to something stressing them out?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
J Here...
Well all I can tell you is that I have had millipedes do the very same thing. I believe that some times it is that you have the "bad" mites and they are trying to itch them off or they just have an itch and are trying to scratch. I do notice that they don't do "the itch dance" when all things are good usually. I still recomend the Hypoaspis mites sold by Biocontrol Network they seem to work very well and do not hurt the benificial mites of the millipedes. I use 2 table spoons every 6 to 8 months or so just for maintainance sake. Maybe a little more if I actually have a problem but that is only when I have gotten new millipedes and they have contaminated the tank with the "bad" mites, which I do not usually risk any more in my big (55 gallon) tank.
Bad mites are defined by clustering around the head and actually causing visiable damage to the millipede like anntenna damage and eating away at the mouth parts and the like. Some times the bad ones will look like powder along the legs in great quantity causing lethargy and death.
Check for these things and I'll try to help more if I can.
J

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Biocontrol network? Can you give me a URL for their site? Sounds like I should get some of the beneficial mites.