Crazy Grammostola's

sebeed

Arachnopeon
I have a theory that its generally just the female Grammostola's that are crazy or hostile. I don't think i've ever heard about someone saying thier male Grammostola is crazy (newly molted MM are all skittish and defensive in my experience - for obvious reasons i suppose, but they calm down eventually)
I'm just wondering if anyone has a crazy non-mature male grammostola? Or have heard of it?
It's just a theory of course :p

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
I only have 1 adult or sub adult grammostola and it hasn't been sexed yet. Its pretty Damn crazy though. It actually took a paint brush from me and fanged up the wooden handle. Really wasn't expecting it.

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
my male and female are crazy but awesome
the male is skittish and defensive but not active
the female is skittish defensive a good eater and stays on top of cork bark
probably because the food normally is dropped there

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm just a noob but my 3-year old G. pulchripes acts defensive in her enclosure. Not sure what sex it is but based on your observations, I'm hoping it's a she. :D After it's molt, I will let you know what it is. Interesting thread.

Last edited:

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
I'm just a noob but my 3-year old G. pulchripes acts defensive in her enclosure. Not sure what sex it is but based on your observations, I'm hoping it's a she. :D After it's molt, I will let you know what it is. Interesting thread.
My G.pulchripes is a sling, not even a 2cm legspan and it happily throws up a threat display every time its disturbed. Its kind of cute

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can't sex a T by its behavior. Each individual will have its own behaviors regardless of sex so you can't just mark it down to males are calm, females are defensive. It doesn't work that way.

I have three G. rosea, two G. pulchripes, and one G. sp. "concepcion". All act differently and I haven't got to confirm sex via molt yet.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
You can't sex a T by its behavior. Each individual will have its own behaviors regardless of sex so you can't just mark it down to males are calm, females are defensive. It doesn't work that way.

I have three G. rosea, two G. pulchripes, and one G. sp. "concepcion". All act differently and I haven't got to confirm sex via molt yet.
I don't think anyone was actually trying to sex their Ts by their disposition, simply trying to see if they had similar behavioral characteristics.

Think the thread was more about a little light hearted fun

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've only ever had one male Grammostola (an immature male pulchra), and he was much jumpier and more nervous than any of the females I've owned (two roseas, one pulchra and one pulchripes). None of them were/have ever been crazy or defensive, though.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think anyone was actually trying to sex their Ts by their disposition, simply trying to see if they had similar behavioral characteristics.

Think the thread was more about a little light hearted fun
Referring to this....

I know it's hoping, but just pointing out.

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a ~3" confirmed male G. pulchra. Since his last molt (about a month ago?) he has been super defensive and has begun burrowing. I was filling his water dish (juice bottle plastic cap) with an eye dropper and he ran over from the corner of his KK and attacked the dropper! I kept filling the dish and he figured out that the water was coming from above and climbed up the side towards the open top! :eek: Luckily I was done and closed it up quickly so he couldn't get out.

I sure hope he mellows out with consecutive molts. I am hoping he'll be a T I might feel brave enough to handle.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
I have a 6-year-old female G. pulchripes. I have not been able to free-handle her without receiving defensive poses and even strikes. My friend has a female G. pulchripes that was a sac-mate to mine; he can place his on his face.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought Grammastola's were supposed to be one of the better, or more mellow/handleable species?

I am especially surprised to hear that G. pulchra is being aggressive, especially since that is often a highly recommended beginner T that is capable of being handled. Next I'll be hearing that the good ol' Golden Knee is aggressive.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
I thought Grammastola's were supposed to be one of the better, or more mellow/handleable species?

I am especially surprised to hear that G. pulchra is being aggressive, especially since that is often a highly recommended beginner T that is capable of being handled. Next I'll be hearing that the good ol' Golden Knee is aggressive.
Like the post about. A golden knee is a G.pulchripes lol.

All tarantula can be defensive and they can change temperament between molts. They are still docile in the grand scheme of things

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
Next I'll be hearing that the good ol' Golden Knee is aggressive.
I wouldn't say aggressive. Aggressive implies that the T is going to come charging out at you, guns drawn and snarling. My G. pulchripes is very defensive, but not aggressive.

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's fair enough, forgot about the noob bit. Education is always good if its taken in. I always sex mine via molt, seen to many ventral sexings turn out wrong.
lol...I understand that gender can't be determined based on behavior. My newly acquired G. pulchripes has been defensive in her enclosure so if Seebeed's observations/generalizations are accurate, maybe that will mean I have a female, she'll live a long time, all that good stuff. I dig. Thanks for the reminder, tho. ;)

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Dang! I always thought males were calm, cool, collective, and females were just crazy! Thats how the human race is right? LMAO:embarrassed:

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
Dang! I always thought males were calm, cool, collective, and females were just crazy! Thats how the human race is right? LMAO:embarrassed:
i think pokie males are calm compared to the females
and to h.lividum MM is much calmer than a female in my experiance

so the least mild mannered T's have the calm males lol ;)

ElevenBravo

Arachnopeon
All of my Grammostolas seem the same at first they are like why are you touching me jerk then they realize they get to go for a walk and then they seem fine with it.

My male G. rosea is skittish/nervous and has even half hearted kicked hairs at me but as soon as I nudge him up the side of his enclosure he catches on and is fine with it no more attitude at all he will let me cup him and flip him on his back when I let him go he will slowly roll back over on his own as if he could care less.

My large female G. pulchripes on the other hand could care less I tap her back legs with bare fingers to let her know im there then nudge her towards the side of her enclosure shes so large shes up and over the sides in my hand she webs everything. She has one speed when shes being handled slow. Food on the other hand when dropped in her enclosure does not even get a chance to find its feet before she pounces on it and kills it.

My G. pulchra sling on the other hand is proud of he/she its butt and keeps it in the air alot but when on hand it flattens out as if to say mmmmmmmmmmm heat and would never move if you didnt nudge it.

My G. pulchripes sling is too chicken its so scared that he curls up and tries to hide as if to say leave me alone please. He has kicked hairs at me once its cute and funny he was a half inch sling.

Overall all of my Grammostolas are nice and handleable except a few minor quirks. I consider myself lucky after all the stories of devil Grammostolas from hell.

I do buy into the OPs theory I read ALOT of threads on here and it does seem like the nice spiders are the males and the bite your hand off and kick hairs on it while its still twitching are female spiders