Crazy Brachypelma auratum

Enki40

Arachnopeon
Almost every night my female Brachypelma auratum climbs to the top corners of the back drop and gnaws away.... She is biting & shredding the styrofoam; if you listen closely you can her trying to bite chunks out of it. I've been keeping tees for 13 years and I've never witnessed such. What is causing this behavior? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhjLcwaweo

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Almost every night my female Brachypelma auratum climbs to the top corners of the back drop and gnaws away.... She is biting & shredding the styrofoam; if you listen closely you can her trying to bite chunks out of it. I've been keeping tees for 13 years and I've never witnessed such. What is causing this behavior? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhjLcwaweo
that's pretty odd, has she ever done anyone odd before. i have never seen this before. I don't know what to tell you, maybe re-house her?

Enki40

Arachnopeon
that's pretty odd, has she ever done anyone odd before. i have never seen this before. I don't know what to tell you, maybe re-house her?
Yeah....that crossed my mind too; this just started about 2 months ago.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Ive seen this once before, and can only make a guess. Seems a little explorative: the same way a T might try to chew through some aluminum mesh or push open an unlocked glass door.

Its not that she's eating/biting/chewing the styro, but she is using her fangs as makeshift 'hands' to wear down and manipulate the material, I dont know to what ends... to see whats on the other side?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
First off, I'm guessing it's an "Exoterra Nano" terrarium?! If so, I wouldn't suggest one of those for ANY terrestrial, except a GBB maybe. They don't need the height really (and if I'm not mistaken, those are higher than wide...correct me if I'm wrong) - so my personal suggestion would be to rehouse her into somewhat more appropriate, the less cost causing method would be a critter keeper. Mine is housed in one is just fine, rarely climbs around at all....