Crassicrus lamanai

irascible_pixie

Arachnopeon
I found a beautiful Crassicrus lamanai at a local pet store but of course they can't tell me much about it... :D It looks just like a fuzzy black teddy bear only in T form. I'm thinking it's a male b/c it's jet black and what little I have found about them says most females are usually a bit more brown but I'm not sure :( If anyone has one, or pics, or any info at all I would REALLY appreciate it. I would love to get him (or her!) but my husband and I agree that we need a little more info on these beautiful Ts.
Thanks!

MJ

Last edited:

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just picked up one of these. Great species, mine has overhauled her enclosure twice so far. She created her own burrow but stays in the open 95% of the time. She's 2" so I keep her in a deli container.
As far as I can tell they are great eaters, mine hasn't refused any food at all yet. Quite capable of taking out the largest most gravid female cricket you can find with smiles.
Temps fluctuate around 75-85 night through day, humidity stays around 60-70.
At 2" she's WAY to quick to handle, but as an adult I can see her being a hand warmer. (yes, i'm usually colder than my T's)
IMO this is a good species to start off with and a must have for any collection.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
adult males of this species are jet black... and with a limited lifespan left not the best choice for a pet.

here is an adult female in the wild:

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
couldn't tell you that, mine's confirmed female 2" so.... my best guess would be up to 10 years and beyond as a female, no clue for males.

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metallica hit the nail on the head there. i too would like to know the life expectancy of a female though (given average conditions).

EDIT: btw lol (metallica) i remember that thread. (yr sign)

omni

Arachnobaron
Ooh, if it is in fact a C. lamanai male, snap it up. Verry hard to come by males. Several I know are waiting for a chance to breed them! C. lamanai will have a thick segement on leg 4, and males are really dark to black as they mature. Go for it, I say.

irascible_pixie

Arachnopeon
We got him! My husband surprised me with him yesterday morning! {D I've read that males are very hard to come by and we were both really interested in finding out more about them so he finally decided to go for it... Travis (my husband) went to the pet store and bought him early in the morning while I was still asleep.. Imagine my surprise when I woke up to a new terrarium w/our Midnight in it! I am so happy! Midnight has about a 3 1/2-4 inch leg span so I'm guessing he is close to full maturity but I have not been able to find out for sure when males reach maturity.. and no one at the store could tell us around how old he is or even the last time he molted. :( I'll keep everyone posted though!

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We got him! My husband surprised me with him yesterday morning! {D I've read that males are very hard to come by and we were both really interested in finding out more about them so he finally decided to go for it... Travis (my husband) went to the pet store and bought him early in the morning while I was still asleep.. Imagine my surprise when I woke up to a new terrarium w/our Midnight in it! I am so happy! Midnight has about a 3 1/2-4 inch leg span so I'm guessing he is close to full maturity but I have not been able to find out for sure when males reach maturity.. and no one at the store could tell us around how old he is or even the last time he molted. :( I'll keep everyone posted though!
Can you post a picture? Does he have any hooks? He might already be mature.

irascible_pixie

Arachnopeon
Right now he is hiding out in his burrow... He is still probably trying to figure out what the crap is going on... But hopefully he will be out tonight and if so I will be ready w/my camera!

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Female C. lamanai are also very dark after molting and could easily be mistaken for an immature male. I know since I've done that once already.:eek: Consequently, I now have two females and another one that I bought as a male that has stayed dark but is not yet mature. I'm very hopeful that he has his ultimate molt soon.

Ollie

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a mature male C. lamani here that hooked out 8/2007... still hanging in there. his health doesn't appear to be declining terribly at this point...

irascible_pixie

Arachnopeon
I have noticed that when he walks he flares his legs out... almost prancing. Is this normal? We have 3 other Ts and none of them walk like they are in a dance competition. lol. It is a little fun to watch but I want to make sure he is ok.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to worry he's probably just getting used to his new enclosure and substrate.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry to inform you, but that's not Crassicrus... or, from appearances, even from the same continent as Crassicrus.

Looks African, and like Hysterocrates to me.

Also, I bet it's not a "he" :)

Eric

irascible_pixie

Arachnopeon
Ok... So PLEASE help me figure out what My T is!?!?!
Female Hysterocrates gigas? Or Male Crassicrus lamanai?

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Female. Definitely female. All the way. I am glad that spider went to a good home...it looked sad in the store. Also, keep in mind that it is this black because it's last molt was about 3 weeks ago. Hehe! I kinda keep tabs on the local Ts.

Last edited: