Craigslist tarantulas and the people selling them

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I posted some Ts up on CL a few days ago and someone texted me to ask if they were "de-venomed". ahaha. Really though I have meet some good friends through selling T's on craigslist. I post up both common and scientific names. You can usually tell right off the bat how much they know about Ts by which name they choose to use.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last week I picked up a juvi female A. versicolor on Craig's for a good price. (Plus 4 *free* well started G. rosea slings.) As it turns out, the seller is the sister of a member here. :biggrin: A week or two before that I got a great Craig's deal on a young female B. smithi.
Both were good experiences, at least from my side.

Last edited:

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
I'm glad to hear there are so many good craigslist deals that went well, I've had good experiences with people on craigslist too, and in the spring and summer we usually have chickens or ducks or some sort of critter for sale on craigslist lol, i always do my best to be as much a help as possible. I've just never tried craigslist for t's before. That was my first bad experience with a craigslist seller, his post sounded so nice too. lol

Last edited:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! OH man, that's funny. Be really funny if a guy bought it and received it. Then told him that he gave it to his sister/gf as a gift.

Hope it bit him on one of his drunken stunts..

Arashi Takamine

Arachnopeon
LOL! OH man, that's funny. Be really funny if a guy bought it and received it. Then told him that he gave it to his sister/gf as a gift.

Hope it bit him on one of his drunken stunts..
Oh man I can see it now!

"Now I got this here BIRD-EATIN' buggeh and I'll a put 'em here on me head and-OW! Goddangit!"

Simon83

Arachnosquire
I've been on both ends with Craiglist and tarantulas. I bought an avic versicolour sling off someone with great communication and he even text me a week or so later asking how the sling was. I had to sell my two roseas as I was moving country...got some interesting responses like asking if it was de-fanged *rolls eyes* in the end someone wanted to buy them for her boss at a zoo as their other rose hair (called Fluffy, awesome name) had died so she wanted to get them as a surprise for her. I thought that was such a sweet idea that I dropped the price and gave them to her for free as I was happy they were going to a good home :)

oh and OP - that is shocking!! I swear it's no wonder I hate people.

axbrown

Arachnopeon
I bought a P.irminia and an LP from a guy near me, only paid 40 for both. LP turned out to be a male, and the P.irminia was obviously a Female when I bought her, about 5 inches. Sad thing is, he later sold a B.smithi, N.chromatus, GBB, LP, King Baboon, Avic avic, Mexican fire leg, Curly Hair, and 2 female Costa rican zebra rump to our LPS for 115 total. Keep in mind the only ones still not mature were the GBB and king banking. I wish I knew he was selling them all that cheap.... I would have bought them in a heart beat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
Ahh!! I couldn't find it through a search because the jerk didn't know how to spell tarantula! Well, I guess that shouldn't have been a big surprise.
lol I found tarantula spelled three different ways while I was browsing craigslist

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
I actually went just yesterday to check out an L.P. on craigslist.

It was advertised for $75 for spider+enclosure.

The owner stated it was "a few years old" so I went to check it out.

First of all, the guy looked like a druggie. When I went into his apartment, it looked like a druggies apartment.

He showed me the spider(the enclosure was topped with a piece of styrofoam) and I saw the L.P. Long legs slender body so I was thinking a boy. Then I got down close and boy did that tank STINK. Then I saw the little fella had tibial hooks. I also noticed his butt was starting to get bare. The owner stated the last molt was "awhile ago, he's probably due for another)

So being the novice to the hobby that I am I came to a few conclusions:

1) The spider was probably poorly maintained. Judging by the smell of the cage, the rank of the apartment and the poor personal hygiene of the owner.

2) It was obviously a mature male. The fact the owner listed it as "sex unknown" on craigslist speaks very poorly for the owners education on the hobby.

3) For being a MM L.P., it was kind of scrawny. I'd wager druggies spend money on drugs, before spider food.

So I declined to purchase it(I figured he'd be dead in 2-4 months) but on the way home me and the wife was talking about it, and we were kinda said the poor guy would spend the rest of his life in such horrid conditions. But I couldn't justify paying $75 for an almost dead male that was poorly cared for.

krbrown1994

Arachnopeon
I hope my mind is playing games on me about that CL ad. Its housed on sand in the first picture... Hopefully I'm wrong.. Maybe he should do some research...

StickyStein

Arachnopeon
4 of much 6 T's are from cl. All were from good people in St. Louis. One lady had to give hers away cuz it turned out she was allergic to the hairs and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. I actually gave her more than she was asking cuz she had to get rid of them and didn't want to

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
We seriously need a rating that looks like a zombie that we can give to people who bring old posts back from the dead haha.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
:zombie: braaaaains...
I love the fact that the horror movie industry not always used the zombies as mere 'brain eaters', thus creating in the long run two kind of zombies: flesh eating ones (basically 90%) and brain eaters (rare, mostly in certain few '70 '80 movies) :)