Could the P.Meridonalis & the P.Chordatus be the same T?

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently picked up a Female P.Meridonalis (Kilamanjaro Grey Baboon) and a P.Chordatus (kilamanjaro mustard baboon) female, both are about 4.5" and look very similar, is there any chance that the first T could have been mislabeled, or that they are the same species?

The female P.Meridonalis looks a bit more pale in color but she does have some of the lighter colored hairs like the P.Chordatus...

I'll post a pic of the two in a bit, just thought I would ask the question first...

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C. meridionalis will have a pale sub-abdominal band whereas P. chordatus does not.

Look at the comparison pictures on the Tarantula Store (UK) here

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I very much doubt you got a Ceratogyrus meridionalis... very likely they will both be P. chordatus.

As Phil alluded to, check the ventral abdomen... and if you don't mind, please show a ventral image of your "C. meridionalis" for us.

Eric

Last edited:

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will post the pix of her very shortly, Im not sure if she has the abdominal bands, nor can I see what they are very well in that pic, so if they could be explained a bit more, I'll have a look

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Pix

As I promised...Here are a couple pix of the suspected P.Meridonalis~

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they asked for a ventral pic (this means the underside of your spider)

cheers
Eddy

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that looks more like a P.lugardi than a P.chordatus...

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ventral Pix

For the record, This Tarantula was sold as a P.Meridonalis... here are the Ventral Pix, and a couple of them since my camera didnt exactly want to focus in on her very well...

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For the record, This Tarantula was sold as a P.Meridonalis
Which is now Ceratogyrus meridionalis...

Your spider appears to be Pterinochilus lugardi.

Eric

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
actually you know the spots on the abdomen are different. disregard my last comment. Pterinochilus lugardi is my vote too.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to me it looks like a P.Chordatus lcf
Not sure what ya ment by LCF But you stated to disredard anyways...It was brought to the sellers attention as well, doubt that they care honestly....
Thanks for the ID help on this one though