could or should a scorpion missing two legs be bred?

shraga_sarett

Arachnopeon
I have a few a australis one of which was missing a back leg. it seemed to not have been able to move the follow up leg and lost it today. :( she (Just molted a day ago) other then that shes looks great. I was hopeing to breed her, but wont if it will put her in danger. Ive never had a scorpion missing a back leg before and never seen one missing two I could use some advise you guys all seem like you might be able to throw a few words my way. thank you
and im always looking for more Androctonus if you have a lead or any available i would be interested to know.

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did she lose the leg after the molt? Could be possible that she has mycosis. A pic would be better to tell.

As far as I know though, scorps can breed no problem regardless of how many legs they have.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*This is just a guess*

If it can walk o.k. I would go with it. IF it walks weird, or stumbles often, I wouldn't personally. Well, if you are right there...... you could try even then. Just have some cardboard ready to separate quickly if it goes bad. But I don't think you would have to worry with the female as much, unless she is really having a hard go of things.

ryan88

Arachnopeon
As long as she can walk freely i don't think it's a problem.

I had a male scorpion with a missing chela, but it didn't stop him from mating with the female and she gave me a brood before he died.

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
anyone know if males are less picky about who they mate with than females? It would make sense... we know its true with other animals......

I'm thinking that a male wouldn't be too bothered by a couple missing legs, whereas it might be a deal breaker the other way around.

But that's pure speculation.

shraga_sarett

Arachnopeon
She walks good (with a limp) considering shes missing two legs. Her leg went limp after her molt, but it seemed disturbed before. I will post a pic this afternoon when i return home. I just looked up mycosis and i do not think thats the case but i will post that pic to make sure.

Im thinking that an injured scorpion would be a considerable dish for another scorpion (its mate). About how long would it take for a pair of mature scorps to mate after introduction? (if it works out)

you guys are great thanks again :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*this is mostly a guess, take it for what it's worth*

But If the injured is female, I would expect him after mating to leave her alone.

If the injured is male, I would expect her to eat him after if left together.

If they are not breeding compatible, or they are the same sex, an injured will get eaten.

*These would be my expectations based on very general knowledge. This doesn't constitute FULL knowledge or experience with same situation.

I believe if mating, there is a natural instinct to let the mated partner live. If it didn't exist, scorpions wouldn't be a very successful animal. Males can naturally (and I think in nature it's true) get eaten more. If all of the females got eaten, species goes kaput. So I think you are o.k. If she can walk straight and move around a bit. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think this statement is a little incorrect. There are many variables that we probably don't understand, but both sexes are choosy, just in different ways. We may not see or understand them, but there are "expectations" for both sexes. With scorpions, I would bet a little money on them not really caring as long as they think they can bring some little ones in the world. It's not going to be the same as with humans. They are looking to continue the species, not brag to their friends about "scoring" :rolleyes:

I would think if they can breed they will, and if the male is injured, it could get eaten, I doubt the reverse of that is very likely. IMO

anyone know if males are less picky about who they mate with than females? It would make sense... we know its true with other animals......

I'm thinking that a male wouldn't be too bothered by a couple missing legs, whereas it might be a deal breaker the other way around.

But that's pure speculation.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
DW has the idea! I use photobucket. No limits on file sizes, (or huge if there are), and they load fast etc. Then you just copy and paste the address here in the body. :) Check out my signature.

I need help posting picture it is not working for me.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
unless the scorpion seems very crippled or has significant difficulty in moving around, i see no reason why a missing appendage should hender any attempt to breed

John

shraga_sarett

Arachnopeon
sweet thats whats up :) shraga_sarett on photo bucket.. hope that works. iv had um to gether so far they hang out together in a corner of the cage. maybe he's to small to breed. Iv had them for a year now and this has been the first molt, is that weird? i bought um from kent last summer.