Costa Rican Tiger Rump temp concerns. New keeper

JCraven94

Arachnopeon
Hello all. My girlfriend and I have recently invested into a tarantula and I was wondering if I could get a few tips for my specific case. I've done some research and trolled around the boards a bit before posting this, but I wanted to get some input that relates to my situation.

So we got a Costa Rican Tiger Rump, it wasn't my first choice but she was in our price range. I've set up her 5.5 gallon enclosure with coco fiber and small amount of jungle mix mixed in (freebie from the pet store), a hide, and a water dish for now. I did purchase a small heat mat which is placed on the back, but I currently don't have it on. She's webbed around a bit last night (first night in her new home) and is now sitting comfy in her hide. My main concern is in the temp. I have a room in the basement and it doesn't hold heat too well. I run a small space heater almost full time which keeps it about 70 in the day, at night I see a low of about 67 or so (info from a clock I have with a built in thermometer). It's not too bad right now and I'm assuming these temps will be okay, but it tends to get a little bit colder during the winter in between the furnace running, even with the space heater. With the cold approaching fast I'd like to know the best way to keep her temps suitable. I've read good and bad things about the heat mats (hence why it's off) and I'm really not too sure if I should run it, where to place it if I should, possible other warming options, etc. Also attached a few pics of the enclosure and a few of our girl. I hope to find some helpful information and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.

Thanks!
Joe

23432380_1688499564501908_1512008027_o.jpg 23468262_1568737149828707_894221320_o.jpg 23439660_1568714309830991_1042457729_n.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They like some humidity.

Screen kids aren't ideal. Switch to plexiglass or acrylic. Or a kritter keeper.

Remove the heat mat. Invest in a space heater. Those are safe for your animal and work well.

Those temps aren't dangerous. But not ideal. Look for 70+

JCraven94

Arachnopeon
Noted, could I modify the screen lid with a sheet of plexi underneath? Drill a couple holes for ventilation and fasten it to the underside? I do have a space heater, any particular way I should arrange it? Or just near the tank is good enough?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Noted, could I modify the screen lid with a sheet of plexi underneath? Drill a couple holes for ventilation and fasten it to the underside? I do have a space heater, any particular way I should arrange it? Or just near the tank is good enough?
Yes, that would work, but I don't see how just using the glass by itself wouldn't be easier and better. You'd need a ton of small holes, or a dozen or so good sized ones. (Smaller than the carapace)

Nope, just anywhere.

cold blood

Staff member
Is the basement your only option...Heating a closet in a warmer part of the house would be a better so9lution if none of the warmer rooms are an option. Keeping heat in a basement is often a tough proposition.

An alternative would be to get an enclosure (tank, tub) and heat that with the mat, and put the enclosure with the t inside that. Just put the mat on the side and not the bottom or it will defeat the purpose of the secondary outer enclosure. Doing this takes the direct heat of the mat and makes it a gentler secondary heat, as well as creating a micro-climate within.

JCraven94

Arachnopeon
Well my bedroom was built in the basement. We didn't get the chance to insulate the outer walls of the room yet. My mom doesn't really dig the idea of a tarantula in the house so unfortunately it will have to stay with me. So maybe snag a ten gallon tank and heat that?

JCraven94

Arachnopeon
Gotcha, and thank you. I've been really enjoying watching her (when she comes out to say hi that is)

cold blood

Staff member
Gotcha, and thank you. I've been really enjoying watching her (when she comes out to say hi that is)
If you add more plants, they will act as anchor points and you should see a lot more elaborate webbing...this species likes to web.

Jayvicularia

Small Batch Seller
Don't make the same mistake as me and sub plastic wrap under the screen for plexi. I covered a tank 7/8 of the way and placed the screen on top. My P. irminia shredded it. Took it out and used plexi.

Jayvicularia

Small Batch Seller
While I had it out to clean the plastic I had time for photo op. Does this pumpkin make my spider look big? 20171104_225857.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Don't make the same mistake as me and sub plastic wrap under the screen for plexi. I covered a tank 7/8 of the way and placed the screen on top. My P. irminia shredded it. Took it out and used plexi.
I had a P. canceride's KK mostly covered with plastic wrap....it worked in the past....but that cancerides shredded it just like yours...what a mess.:banghead: I don't do that any more, either.:D

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm not sure but whatever is the stuff that's in the water bowl? If there's anything in there except water take it out. A tarantula only needs fresh water - sponges, pebbles, whatever only allow bacteria to thrive and make it hard for the T to drink.

Otherwise: nice tarantula :). And yes, if you add a few fake plants and stuff you make get an awsome looking web in return ;).

JCraven94

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info guys. I think once I figure out what my girl is doing ( I can't tell if she's in premolt or just be lazy), I'm gonna switch her to a more appropriate enclosure. It's hard to keep the humidity in with the "open" top. I added a bit of tape to try and close of some ventilation but it still loses water pretty quickly. They're cotton balls in the dish by the way. The keepers at the store told me to use them so the spider doesn't fall in and drown? All of their enclosures had them in. I only had a pretty deep dish on hand so they kinda freaked me out and I listened. I change them out regularly, but am looking to grab a more appropriate dish. I tried to do my research before hand but the info I've gotten from the boards has helped me a lot. Beautiful spider by the way Jayvicularia! Also I have added a few plants since, she started to web them up a bit in a very nice fashion. I keep a space heater nearby and the temp never really drops below 69 on the low end, usually sits right around 72.
1.jpg
2.jpg
premolt.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
I'm gonna switch her to a more appropriate enclosure
If its burrowed away and you suspect pre-molt, its best not to dig it up and move it. I don't see any reason to move it anyway.

It's hard to keep the humidity in with the "open" top.
Don't worry about humidity, worry about keeping moisture in the substrate. More ventilation means adding a lot more water, more often...but yes, you are right on, that less ventilation will help that sub retain moisture longer. This is one of those things you learn as you go, because its a balance between ventilation and moisture. Not enough venting and you have a mold factory, too much and its like you see, drying out quickly.

They're cotton balls in the dish by the way. The keepers at the store told me to use them so the spider doesn't fall in and drown
:eek:

They are actually hydrophobic, so they float, or actually rest on top of the water surface.

That said, when a t drinks, it wants to shove its face beneath the water. Remember, their breathing apparatus are on their backside, so their face can remain underwater indefinitely.
I only had a pretty deep dish on hand so they kinda freaked me out and I listened.
:rofl:

First rule of tarantula keeping is....don't listen to pet stores.:shifty:

boina

Lady of the mites
First rule of tarantula keeping is....don't listen to pet stores.:shifty:
From all the stuff I'm reading I'd even go a step further: If a pet store employee tells you something do the opposite :wacky:. In most cases it will be better. So, again: Cotton balls will collect bacteria and make it difficult for the tarantula to drink. Take them out.

It's hard to keep the humidity in with the "open" top.
Stop chasing humidity numbers. And even worse: Davus pentaloris, your Costa Rican Tiger Rump does NOT do well in humid conditions. They prefer things on the drier side: Dry substrate with an overflown water dish / a moist corner. DO NOT try to 'keep humidity in'. Go to this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/c-fasciatum-question.139238/ Post 4 is by someone who actually studies spiders in the wild and knows what he's talking about.

A humid, stuffy enclosure, like you are planning, will kill this species pretty fast.

JCraven94

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all your input guys, I really appreciate the knowledge I'm gaining. Right now I'm pretty much doing exactly as you suggested. I make sure to keep the water bowl topped off let a bit spill out, and I dampen the right side where the dish is about once a week or when I see it's dry. Knowing what I do now I'll probably just stick with the setup I have now. Also ditched the cotton balls. I included a picture of my lid as well. Too much? Or not even necessary? Still planning on replacing it anyways.
lid.jpg

Last edited: