CORRECT caresheets

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys,

I'm looking to try and put together a (semi) complete database of caresheets for some of the most common species of tarantula in the hobby. Everyone tends to agree that there aren't really many accurate/correct/valid caresheets out there, so maybe those of us who have a good grasp on things can post some of their caresheet info here? This way, we have an easy way to find good care info when we need it or when someone new to the hobby needs it. :)

--Joe

By the way, I haven't got myself a copy of the new TTKG yet; is there any good info in there related to this topic?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, bliss. I'm not too keen on the diet with some of them...suggesting anoles or mice. Thoughts?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great idea, and if you do, flesh them out a bit more. You're looking for forum reader contributions? Make it a wiki kind of thing?

I don't see anything wrong with suggesting anoles or mice as occasionals, treats if you will, but it should definitely be qualified. For each, you might also mention which roach species are preferential. If possible, Ts can be pretty individual.

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OH MY GOD WE NEED THIS!:clap: :worship:
You should probably do something where they e-mail the caresheet to you first, then you put it on the website, just so you don't get complete bogus info (i.e. T. blondi is a vegetarian that LOVES cedar shavings:rolleyes: ). But yes, BRILLIANT idea. Also cover rarer species. always hate it when you try to buy something unique, and it takes you a day to find any good info on it. Great service to the hobby.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Joe,

i would check out arachnopets. they have some.

http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcss.htm
Those are kind of terrible. The housing info is very vague and they have humidity requirements listed for EVERYTHING. Including G. rosea. (Hint: most species including G. rosea need no particular humidity.)

I'm not sure what "experience level" means but I doubt L. parahybana should be a 7 on any scale. Pokies are only an 8, for heaven's sake. Species with particularly significant venom have no mention of this whatsoever.

Yeah, these are bad. :(

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are kind of terrible. The housing info is very vague and they have humidity requirements listed for EVERYTHING. Including G. rosea. (Hint: most species including G. rosea need no particular humidity.)

I'm not sure what "experience level" means but I doubt L. parahybana should be a 7 on any scale. Pokies are only an 8, for heaven's sake. Species with particularly significant venom have no mention of this whatsoever.

Yeah, these are bad. :(
I was looking at them and thinking along that same line of thoughts, but didn't want to say too much. I figured I'd just do some research and see what I could find.

--Joe

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope you dont take this wrong and it is not any way meant to be but why do you think you are qualified for such a task. I am understanding that you want to redo them not just repost care sheets?
Again I am not trying to offend.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What would be the point of reposting something if it's incorrect?

Yes, the point is to write them accurately, something that would be a group effort, hence my research beforehand. On top of that, nobody is obligated to use them if they don't want to, and everyone is free to post what they think of them.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hope you dont take this wrong and it is not any way meant to be but why do you think you are qualified for such a task. I am understanding that you want to redo them not just repost care sheets?
Again I am not trying to offend.

I think it's a great idea for Joe to do this. At least someone is going out there and trying to correct the caresheet's that are wrong. And plus, why not have a huge database of caresheet's. Seem's like a good idea to me and I'm sure many more member's will agree. I don't think you need to be qualified to gather information either.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most spiders are pretty much the same as slings. Moist substrate constantly just depends on substrate depth or container height. Adults/juvs are just different humidity depending on species. Besides P. subfusca liking cooler temps t's are easy to keep.

So maybe I would suggest a few different types of caresheets instead of one for every species. With just a long list of species names that particular method of keeping are suitable for.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most spiders are pretty much the same as slings. Moist substrate constantly just depends on substrate depth or container height. Adults/juvs are just different humidity depending on species. Besides P. subfusca liking cooler temps t's are easy to keep.

So maybe I would suggest a few different types of caresheets instead of one for every species. With just a long list of species names that particular method of keeping are suitable for.
Good suggestion. Thanks. :)

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it might be tough considering that some experienced keepers having differing opinions on the same species. E. pachypus as an example...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it might be tough considering that some experienced keepers having differing opinions on the same species. E. pachypus as an example...
That's true also. I probably wouldn't 'author' care sheets for species I haven't personally kept, and I'd probably add a disclaimer about how there is no 'set in stone' way to keep tarantulas, that these caresheets are intended as guidelines and suggestions as to what seems to work best in the hobby.

And if there is that much of a disagreement, it would probably (in my opinion) be best to include both or multiple ideas, rather than not write a sheet at all.

--Joe

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And if there is that much of a disagreement, it would probably (in my opinion) be best to include both or multiple ideas, rather than not write a sheet at all.

--Joe
Agreed Joe. I see no reason to disregard any successful method in keeping a certain species.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds great, I would love more caresheets. Just was not clear on how you intended to do it. Sounds like you are on to a good thing. I kind of like the idea that your not claiming you know the only way to keep each sp. like many seem to do.
I have been keeping T's for 8 years but only now am I really getting interested in learning more and it is very frustrating to read 5 care sheets that all say something different so you end up not knowing who to follow. Been reading alot and learning but I have got to where I just pass over most care sheets. Way to many specifics that dont apply.

peachypaderna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think this is a really good project you're spearheading. I've done my share of crawling through the archives, looking for information that's a little more specific about my pets, and half the time, I just encounter threads where people start fighting or throttling each other, haha. (In fact, I think I got embroiled in a bit of a heated exchange just recently -- glad that we ended it amicably, though!)

I notice, too, that most of the more experienced members here refer to a lot of online care sheets as utter "garbage", so it would definitely help if we could have a resource that's more or less reliable than the rest, and that at least has a general consensus affirming its veracity.

Looking forward to seeing this project gain fruition! Good luck! :)

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seems like a daunting task to me. I applaud you for attempting it. Are you planning on writing care sheets that try to recreate the spider's natural habitat or how they are kept in the hobby? They can be two very different extremes sometimes. For example, Botar told me he pretty much kept everything on dry peat.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was looking more towards what is most common in the hobby. Recreating natural habitat would be much more expensive and take much more time/resources/etc. It would be neat to have that info as well, but for the time being I think I'll stick with what is generally acceptable in the hobby.