Copperhead??!

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm kind of in a rush and I hope this is the right thread lol. A few weeks ago my neighbor took her dog to the vet for a snake bite, she did id the snake as a copper head. Turns out there are other cases at the vet from our same neighborhood of copperhead bites this summer too, and along with a few kids going to the hospital for some bites. A whoooole lot more than usual. So that clears up whether or not we have a spike in copperheads around here lol.
But anyways, I was just going outside to bring in my dog, and there's this small 4 foot path way leading to him. I didn't have my glasses on so I thought it was a decent sized stick until it moved a foot to the left and curled up into a striking position. I freaked out, took the long way to my dog and brought him inside. I think all animals will be staying inside for a while haha.
Of course me being.. well, me, I run outside with a camera so I can positively ID this thing. I take a few photos and look online, but the shape of the head looked too narrow to be a copperhead. I went back outside and he's still there, got a few more photos and saw that it was just the angle I was at. He definitely had a copperhead shaped head. I wanted to show you guys this little beautiful killer. I seem to be the only one around here who can actually appreciate them from a distance without trying to kill it, which is understandable lol.
Here's a few not-so-professional pictures of him. I was getting torn up by mosquitoes so most of them are blurry :p
055.jpg 058.jpg 071.jpg

Low

Arachnoknight
Very nice...we had those all over where I grew up...ive been bit by them twice actually..
That looks like a young one, compared to the seed pod next to it...my guess is the tip of the tail was probably still pretty green, adult females get pretty bulky tho.

Nikki1984

Arachnosquire
Yes that is indeed an Agkistrodon contortrix and let me just say how jealous I am! We do not have these beauties in AZ. You should be able to find someone who can relocate it for you so that you and your pets can remain bite free.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Nice. What a gorgeous little thing! Not really a "killer," typically, though. Unless you're a rodent.

I'm always struck by how narrow copperheads' heads are. They really don't seem any wider than Northern water snakes' heads to me. Definitely not as wedge-shaped as the rattlers.

You might consider getting your dog snake-trained. Then you wouldn't have to worry as much. And maybe go for walks with your glasses on! :)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I saw a copperhead the other day. What an awesome looking snake! They blend in so well with forest leaf litter.

Not a killer but I'm damn sure I don't want to get bit by one!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome pics. These are my favorite native species. I used to catch adults by hand when i was in 5th grade! I havent seen one in atleast 15 years.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice coloration on this fella! There are only 2 reported deaths directly linked to Copperhead bites in our medical history out of the hundreds that enter the ER's yearly throughout their range. Worst part about a bite is the Bill!!!!! I have seen bills for $60K from these little hellions. They are fun to play around with, with the proper equipment ofcourse!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice coloration on this fella! There are only 2 reported deaths directly linked to Copperhead bites in our medical history out of the hundreds that enter the ER's yearly throughout their range. Worst part about a bite is the Bill!!!!! I have seen bills for $60K from these little hellions. They are fun to play around with, with the proper equipment ofcourse!
These are probably the easiest venomous snakes to keep, as well, since they adapt very readily to captivity. I've seen them eat just moments after being caught, while most captive-bred snakes even require a few days to settle in to a new home. On top of that, Copperheads will eat just about anything that can be considered snake menu, from fish and frogs to rodents and eggs, so they aren't difficult to please.
I should mention the two human fatalities, though. Both cases involved individuals with a long history of serious medical issues, one being a guy who had severe allergies and had already experienced numerous anaphylactic reactions to various things, and indeed, the actual cause of death in that instance was acute allergic reaction to the venom. The other was a person with advanced heart disease who was on several medications, including powerful blood thinners. Just how much the Copperhead bites in those cases can be said to be the direct cause of death is debatable. Certainly that was a catalyst, something that got the ball rolling in the wrong direction, but the other factors can't be ignored. It's unlikely that those people would have died had they been healthy individuals. A bite from one of these snakes is no picnic, nor anything to be taken lightly, when compared to other venomous within the same range, they do pale in comparison. A bill from a bad Canebrake bite looks more like the Federal budget!

pitbulllady

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did it put off an odor smells a little like rotted wood
I have had dogs bitten by these usually around
The jaw area swells up like a soft ball
Nasty bite watch your dog

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
Haven't seen around Delaware in years. Remember many sightings as a kid. Thanks for the great photos and thanks for the happy memories. Ron