coommunal tank

cotton005

Arachnopeon
I am thinking of getting 4 - 6 scorps for my first communal tank.I am kinda thinking I want somthing that is a bit active , climbs and burrows ? any ideas on a fit to my needs? So far I am thinking centruroides vittatus or scorpio maurus ?

Im told that scorpio maurus dont climb that much ( I only have some rocks and wood chunks in the tank) but I like how these ones look alot more than centruroides vittatus.However I am also told that centruroides vittatus dont burrow as much being a bark scorp?

out of the two I like scorpio maurus looks wise , plus I am told that scorpio is a bit more aggresive and active than the other?that is jsut what I am told? Any imput would be great

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
centruroides is a great choice for an active, communal tank. Bark scorpions don't burrow at all. I would personally go with a centruroides communal tank for their activeness and their ability to be communal.

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about B. jacksoni? Some will say they are one of the best lookings scorps out there, not to dangerous, communal and are also bark scorps.

or

Centruroides sculpturatus. They are also very communal, good looking, and do not burrow.

cotton005

Arachnopeon
B. jacksoni is not a bad looking scorp how ever I do like scorpio nuarus .I am jsut not to sure what to go with........

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. Jacksoni - Good choice
Scorpio Maurus - Good choice
Centruroides sculpturatus - Good choice

You can't go wrong! You're gonna like any of these and hey, you can always get more :D

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. Jacksoni - Good choice
Scorpio Maurus - Good choice
Centruroides sculpturatus - Good choice

You can't go wrong! You're gonna like any of these and hey, you can always get more :D
Personally Id go with B.Jacksoni. But as he said you will like any choice out of those and you can get more. Its almost impossible to narrow it down to one species you like or want because there is such a wide selection.

cotton005

Arachnopeon
Scorpio Maurus

Scorpio Maurus - I believe I will go with this. I love how they look . This should be fun.

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My b jacksoni are basically only out at night. from 10pm-1am they prowl and get out. During daylight, they are always in the hide and usually kick the peat moss up to keep you from seeing them. The female of this pair is a real pig. She eats a big cricket every couple of days, which I find entertaining. But I have only seen her eat, never stalk or kill.

Now, my LQ (both LQQ and LQH) are all active in the daylight. As like most scorpions, they stay under something, but they spook so easy, it's not unusual to see them running around all day. I have 6 LQH in one tank and 6 LQQ in another. All are young from 3i to 4i. So, the activity might also be due to the age.

Careful if you aren't experienced with hots.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Richard

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What about B. jacksoni? Some will say they are one of the best lookings scorps out there, not to dangerous, communal and are also bark scorps.

or

Centruroides sculpturatus. They are also very communal, good looking, and do not burrow.
I have a self sustained colony of 10 now in a 10 gallon tank. I'm lucky if I see them outside their hides more than twice a week. These are the least active species I've yet come across. They don't even come out for food, they wait for the food to walk into the hides.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. jacksoni are all sweethearts. I've never seen aggression from any of them aside from feeding time ;P

They're also very beautiful and will breed like rats if you let them ;)

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a self sustained colony of 10 now in a 10 gallon tank. I'm lucky if I see them outside their hides more than twice a week. These are the least active species I've yet come across. They don't even come out for food, they wait for the food to walk into the hides.
Are you refering to B. Jacksoni or C. Sculpturatus?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpio Maurus - I believe I will go with this. I love how they look . This should be fun.
Scorpio Maurus are cool, but keep in mind that they can cannibalize pretty easily. If you get some make sure you get them nearly identically sized (and I would go with adults since I think they would eat a molting cage mate). Even the difference of half an inch in head to tail length, I have found to be a deadly difference in size for the smaller one (it's actually a pretty big difference considering they mainly get at most 3 inches long). The one's I have left are all the same size (I did lose a few of the smaller one's :( ...most of the posts said they were communal, so I didn't figure I'd have issues if I gave them enough hides, which I did..did not matter). The same size ones often get into altercations, but they do not kill each other. I do not believe it to be coincidence. Anyway, expect a few losses. A cage with a few of them in it is awesome, though. I love mine.