Concerned About Shipping

Aviara

Arachnoknight
I had a bad experience when picking up my very first tarantula order today - the tarantulas themselves are doing just fine, but I didn't realize that FedEx frowned upon shipping tarantulas - so I told the guy what I was receiving when he asked out of curiousity. He made comments about how it was not allowed to ship tarantulas via FedEx, but I told him that I had ordered from a reliable online vendor and I am sure she wouldn't have done something illegal or "sketchy". However, after doing a lot of research the past few hours, I am lost and worried that I risk getting in trouble in the future by continuing to order tarantulas online. All of the past threads via the search function seemed to be asking about packing methods - even those that were on topic didn't have a very definite answer.

I know that USPS does not allow it, but does FedEx allow shipment of tarantulas? Or are breeders simply sending them out on the assumption that their packages aren't being checked? A straight answer would be nice, as even the FedEx website mentions it is only allowed to ship horses and zoo animals, but not "household pets" - not a very clear answer in my opinion. I worry mainly because if - in the future - I were to breed tarantulas and then ship out the slings, I would not want to risk getting in trouble with the company or even getting in legal trouble. I might be overreacting - but it makes me nervous to buy tarantulas online again! Please help me get less confused...

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as I know, nobody allows shipment of tarantulas. There *may* be some larger vendors that have personal accounts with FedEx or UPS that have an exception that authorizes them to ship tarantulas.

Next time, just don't tell them what is being shipped. It's actually illegal for USPS employees to ask. Not sure when it comes to private shipping companies.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since my parents are often the ones home when my shipments come in, I have to remind them not to say what's in the package; If the seller gets in trouble, it's their fault.

TreF68

Arachnopeon
Heres the thing... the reptile and invert industry is pretty huge, and a majority of the market is animals being sent in the mail. Do you really think Fed Ex, UPS, or USPS would rather not have that extra revenue? A lot of policy that companies make has more to do with liability issues than it does anything else. If they openly shipped live animals they would have potential lawsuits from their employees, they would have PETA on their butts for sure, they may have to insure or guarantee the live arrivals, etc.

My point is it gets messy. Its better to claim its not their policy and then don't actually enforce it.

To the OP. one guy at the front of a fed ex counter is not going to change how they treat your boxes. I doubt he will even remember what you look like, let alone your name or address. and if he does so what. He will get fired, and can get charged with a crime for opening or tampering with your box.

Kayota

Arachnopeon
Another good reason not to say what's in your boxes is that one shipment of Ts can be worth hundreds or even thousands depending on what you're buying and how many... If someone at the FedEx office happens to know that and your boxes start disappearing, well...

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The reptile industry is huge and packages hundreds are sent every day. Plus, you CAN legally ship reptiles through FedEx and UPS (either start an authorized account through FedEx or use Shipyourreptiles for UPS. As far as I know there is no similar authorization for inverts, and really the numbers probably aren't exactly high enough to be all that convincing.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
Next time I get a tarantula shipped to me (or ship one out, for that matter), I will make sure to tell them it's "glass collectibles" or "chocolates" or other ideas I have read about on here, or just keep it to myself! I was not aware that the employees could not ask about what was inside of a box being shipped - in fact I honestly assumed they always asked. I had no idea that the mail system was so private, but knowing that makes me feel better about having tarantulas shipped in. I guess with the amount of people shipping reptiles and invertebrates back and forth, it isn't something to worry too much about, and I'll just be more careful next time! Thank you everyone for your responses - I feel a lot better about shipping now!

chaco

Arachnosquire
or you print the label online write fragile on the box and drop it off without saying anything but can i have an acceptance scan they scan it DONE and DONE

truly simple its what i do all the time ive have never been asked anything

this heat is killing me 0.0

Solucki

Arachnoknight
I went to FedEx yesterday and I saw him get ready to put the box into a plastic envelope and was going to seal it airtight I jumped on about but couldn't say why. I had previously said it had glass in it and it was fragile. He gave me a funny look and probably thought I was shipping a bomb or something dangerous or whatever.

Osmo

Arachnosquire
FedEx allows live animal shipments if coordinated with the Live Animal Desk.

"FedEx does not accept live animal shipments as part of its regularly scheduled service. Live animals will be accepted when the shipment is coordinated and approved by the FedEx Live Animal Desk. Acceptable shipments include, but are not limited to, zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) and horses (from gateway to gateway locations only). Household pets, such as domestic cats and dogs, and live fish are not accepted. For more information, contact the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 1.800.405.9052."

http://www.fedex.com/us/government/international/terms.html#liveanimals

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I went to FedEx yesterday and I saw him get ready to put the box into a plastic envelope and was going to seal it airtight I jumped on about but couldn't say why. I had previously said it had glass in it and it was fragile. He gave me a funny look and probably thought I was shipping a bomb or something dangerous or whatever.
That was probably the dumbest thing you could have done in that situation actually.Now he thinks something is fishy with your shipments.And just so you know being in the airtight bag would have had zero,I mean ZERO effect on the tarantulas,as they do not have respiration rates like a mammal.I have had spiders in airtight vials in shipment for 10+ days,and all were fine.Just something to keep in mind,last thing you want to do while AT the carrier's location is act like you did and start making up stories on the fly.All that does is throw up the red flags to the employees. :)

Solucki

Arachnoknight
I wish I had know that before I went. I had just thought about it going into the store "hmmm I wonder if its legal to ship a tarantula". So I was a bit freaked. I'll do better next time. There's no delays on package so no worries I guess.