Communal, yay or nay?

Communals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Nay. Is there at least one example of Ts living communal in nature?
A dwarf Phlogius species from north Queensland has been observed living in connected burrows in the wild. In captivity it seems a female can live with her offspring even when they’re well past the age they would disperse at, probably a bad idea to throw together two adults that aren’t going to mate though

I believe the “chicken spider” has also been observed living together, but I don’t know if it’s true or remember the scientific name

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I believe the “chicken spider” has also been observed living together, but I don’t know if it’s true or remember the scientific name
Pamphobeteus sp. ‘araña pollito’ are only noted to be communal by those who collected them, nothing noted scientifically though.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ohhh no. You said "chicken spider"... Now it begins.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I personally don't like communal, not saying I will never do it, if I would get my own slings of regalis or balfouri I may put some together. But buying slings just to make communal enclosure is kind of waste of money for me. Also think, it is more like forcing them to live together in nature it never, or almost never happens.
Communals are getting more and more popular here in Poland. I understand that if someone breeds species like Poe, it is just easier to throw whole eggsack into one container, faster feeding, easier caring, and some losses don't hurt. But creating it just for fun it is just not my thing.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I bought an unknown sling from a pet shop last year and when I took it out I found another one in there amongst the sphagnum woo hoo and that's about as communal as I get.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I dont think it would interest me. Would be alot of work when cleaning the tank and such to watch 6 or 7 T's. I could just see 7 OW bolting around the room at the same time, lol. Dont get me started on feeding time, HA.

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
Seems to me that it's a good way to end up with a single fat spider or a crapload of tiny ones. On one hand that's a lot of money flushed down the toilet and on the other you've suddenly got a lot of mouths to feed, and if you're not prepared for that I think a communal should be out of the question.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't believe in them because there is no scientific proof for them in the wild. Not a single scientist or even passionate T person like many of us has observed this behavior in the wild.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Thanks for all the responses. I had a feeling it would go this way but I wanted to see the results regardless. Had to explain to my wife (who wants to pick my next T) why I thought communals were a bad idea.