Common Sling enclosures for Arboreals?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So im thinking about picking up a few more slings, probabaly a few avics and a p. pulcher. my last slings were all housed in AMAC boxes. Before I order more I see alot of people using deli cups 32 oz. for 1 inch slings. Is this better than the AMAC boxes? With the AMAC I could just slide the bottom off and set the top on the table to do water fills and such. With a deli cup you have to open the top and possible mess with webbing, ect.

Whats everyone else using for arboreal slings. Pics would be awesome for ideas.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I use a couple of custom type enclosures, a couple like the AMAC boxes that you have described, and the tall deli cups work fine in most cases. Avicularia and Caribena tend to web right at the top, so you need to keep that in mind for any top opening enclosures. I try to ensure that any cork bark, or fake plants, that I use end up being more than an inch from the top to encourage them to web up a little further down than the very top. It usually doesn't work, but it's worth a try.
As youngsters, Psalmopoeus tend to be near the bottom and even sometimes burrow. It isn't until they get a bit bigger that they start heading up. I have my Psalmopoeus in front opening acrylic enclosures, but neither are spiderlings anymore.

cold blood

Staff member
I've never had issues with deli cups...the tops are pliable, so just pop an area open where the t isn't, it's not that hard.

Both delis and amex work just fine, it's more personal preference....they're probably the two most popular.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Amax boxes look really nice but for practicality i am really liking the deli cups at the moment. i recently purchased a bunch of the pre vented lids so i poke a few holes around the side and i'm done. :) Plus they are clear, come in terrestrial and arboreal types (but use the same lid), and SOOOO much cheaper than the Amac boxes. 20190102_121923.jpg

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I go to Walmart or dollar stores looking for enclosures.
Every store stocks different stuff too so you never know what you’ll find.

No idea what they’d carry in Alabama though

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks everyone, I will try out deli cups this go round. I still have a few AMAC boxes but I can get cup, wayyyyyy cheaper.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So im thinking about picking up a few more slings, probabaly a few avics and a p. pulcher. my last slings were all housed in AMAC boxes. Before I order more I see alot of people using deli cups 32 oz. for 1 inch slings. Is this better than the AMAC boxes? With the AMAC I could just slide the bottom off and set the top on the table to do water fills and such. With a deli cup you have to open the top and possible mess with webbing, ect.

Whats everyone else using for arboreal slings. Pics would be awesome for ideas.
Nothing is better. Each type of container has pros/cons, depends on you and potentially the species. Example. I use inverted AMACs for my larger Avics, e.g. 3". Think I don't deal web?? WRONG hah. They web up the container preventing me from easily removing the bottom from the top. Trust me, there's no sliding here. Do what works for you, that's what we all do. I use both delis and AMACs.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
These work also..i like that you can unscrew the lid,just until its off,then leave
it sitting on top,and found at any grocery store/Walmart or Target.Ziplock Twist and Lock.

Attachments

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Peanut butter jar enclosure for my new C. versicolor. It's the large size.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
The top open containers only have 1 down fall when they web up top. IMO. I dug out some of my old AMAC boxes today, so i think i will use them and play around with a few of the top open containers. Just hate messing up a web when they attach to the top.

Nothing is better. Each type of container has pros/cons, depends on you and potentially the species. Example. I use inverted AMACs for my larger Avics, e.g. 3". Think I don't deal web?? WRONG hah. They web up the container preventing me from easily removing the bottom from the top. Trust me, there's no sliding here. Do what works for you, that's what we all do. I use both delis and AMACs.
Im gonna try both. and a few other ideas i have. Found some old sling stuff i had a few years ago.

Pick up these today, very clear and stackable perfect sizing too. Arboreal or Terrestrial sizes.
Just gotta drill some holes, glue cork, and order more slings.
20190121_160629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I use alot of vials for slings. Avics, Lampropelma, Poecilotheria, etc. Works just fine. I don't like having giant cages for slings. I much prefer easy monitoring over losing the spider for months on end.

Deli cups are great too. Cheap, clear, and adaptable for any species.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
These work also..i like that you can unscrew the lid,just until its off,then leave
it sitting on top,and found at any grocery store/Walmart or Target.Ziplock Twist and Lock.

This is exactly what I use!

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
Theres a store by me called Dollar Tree that has these 2 for $1. I use them for all my arboreal slings.