Cobalt blue

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
Yeah this is going to be interesting. For me this is the third breed I've had, he's had at least three others when he lived In Poland. This one man....transfering her was a nightmare. It was like Escape for Alcatraz.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Yeah this is going to be interesting. For me this is the third breed I've had, he's had at least three others when he lived In Poland. This one man....transfering her was a nightmare. It was like Escape for Alcatraz.
Tarantulas have distinct species, not breeds (like dogs), I made that same mistake when I was new to the hobby.

You have taken on a tarantula many would not recommend if you are relatively new to the hobby. That said, it could end up fine *shrug* and asking for help on here is smart. :) I plan to be a NW keeper forever, so I can't give any advice about your new tarantula, but I will advise that you do some research on rehousing so you can be very cautious when you move this one into their new enclosure (if you haven't already). There have been a lot of threads about rehousing aggressive, fast OW tarantulas and you should find some ideas on there, or there are some videos out there too. Please seek out some recommendations for the seasoned OW keepers on here before you attempt to rehouse again so you and/ or your husband don't get hurt or end up with a hot tarantula on the loose.

https://tomsbigspiders.com/2015/02/15/tarantula-rehousing-tips-with-videos/

Or here is someone dealing with a C lividum rehouse gone wrong (but dealt with quite well!)

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
I definitely agree about more research. I kind of thought when attending the show that we wouldn't have a lot of options, like the last time we went...but this is what he chose and the breeder gave us some advice.

Yeah I'm not going anywhere near her unless she's confined. I think I should name her Sybil..

Yeah our stirmi died when I was I. Surgery....it was sad as hell. We think she was either really a Male or had a tumor :(

Last edited by a moderator:

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I told him to pick. This is a new hobby for me, I trust him to know better. We talked at length with the guy that sells them.....that's why I'm here. I'm nervous about this one.
Not going to bust your chops on it but please do lots of research and be carefull cobolts are not to be messed with good luck

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
When I had a Chilean Rose and an Emperor scorpion in the years before the interwebz, I had no idea of the New World/Old World thing, is that like East Coast/West Coast?

I think my options back then were Chilean Rose or Goliath Birdeater, and I had Black Widows in the shed....

I’m glad I joined, let me know if I’m heading down the wrong path...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not going to bust your chops on it but please do lots of research and be carefull cobolts are not to be messed with good luck
Kobolds as well: pretty nasty and tricksters.

With that said, I fail to realize all of your people concern about C.lividus. Sure the venom is potent and they deliver multiple bites (as other OW's do) but once they are settlled (if housed properly, set up/parameters talking) all 'you' see is a hole, mostly. Care is easy.

If a beginner, or a not prepared enough keeper, decide to buy one, chances % that something can become crappy are always present, even with less venomous, less high strung T's.

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I'm thankful for the help..I am not trying to sound like I'm talking negativity about my spouse, but he gets the spiders and I end up responsible for a lot of their care. The first t we got was our Rosie, a friend of mine knew he had ts before and Offered us a free one... Enclosure and all....the story was mad shady and involved plenty of fish...so after the answers to my questions got weirder and weirder we took the t and left lol....then we found the stirmi On CL. The third was another rosea that was found walking in a shopping mall parking lot (she died ten days later), and the last two roseas were surrendered to an animal shelter where we are friends with the adoption manager.....

So that is kinda how I got here. I fell in love with the species but I cant deny I'm moderately new to this..

We got our cobalt a plastic file box looking thing. I'll update with a pic when shes settled.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
I see. Well, I would be a bit nervous too (in a healthy, respectful way). If your husband has more experience with OW species, he should be fine. But TBH, the temporary enclosure is full of rookie mistakes (too shallow, mostly dry substrate, massive water bowl that will become hazard for a digging spider). It's okay to be a beginner, everyone should start somewhere. But I get the feeling that your husband may not be ready for this spider either, that's all. If you have the feeling your are in over your heads, try to find someone who would like to take it over from you. There is no shame in that :)
For my own reference, how come a big water bowl is a hazard to a burrowing tarantula?

sasker

Arachnoprince
For my own reference, how come a big water bowl is a hazard to a burrowing tarantula?
If they are too heavy they can collapse a burrow and squish your spider.
For the same reason, don't put any heavy rocks in your terrarium. If you insist on having something like that in your enclosure, at least make sure it rests firmly on the bottom of your enclosure and don't just put it on top of the substrate.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Your temporary enclosure is down right terrible. This is my enclosure for my female cobalt blue. Make yours like mine and you will be golden. All they need is a ton of deep moist dirt, nothing more nothing less. I will say it again deep moist dirt is all you need.
Hey! There's no need to flash your wealth in your pictures....

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
What are all the little white things shes getting in her water bowl? Is this species a bit messier with their bowl?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
What are all the little white things shes getting in her water bowl? Is this species a bit messier with their bowl?
It could be mites, poop, springtails, a bolus (food remains), or it could be a plethora of other things. Post pics and we'll be able to tell you exactly what. Whatever it is, it's probably not an issue

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
It could be poop, my N. chromatus always poops in its water bowl.