Cobalt Blue humidity

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not too familiar with cobalts, maybe thats why I find myself keeping what is now my 3rd. I know they need high temps, but what sort of humidity do these suckas need?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
humidity

i have been asking that Q, and did'en get the same awnsers. read the new thread about theraphosa blondi.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have allways heard that you moisten their substrate like a T. blondi then let it allmost completely dry then do it over again. thats what mike told me so I take it as true. glad to see you back rip... try not to make too many enemies

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep all my T's the same way.

Completely dry substrate, one large water bowl, misting every other day or every third day. I have no problems with mold, mites or baby crickets. The temps I keep everything at are 78-80*

If you keep your substrate wet, then let it dry out you will have problems with mold and other icky issues. The humidity thing is way over rated from what ive read and been told.

Species I own...

H. lividum
H. maculata (x2)
L. parahybana
P. ornata
P. regails
P. irminia
P. murinus (x2)*
B. smithi *

All are supposed higher humidity and high temps (except the *). All are kept in cages that do not have screened tops though. So if you use a screened top I would mist once a day, but avoid spraying wood, spray the side of the tank or the wood might start growing mold.

Last edited:

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's also another thread here somewhere, they filled the first two inches of the cage with pebbles then about 4-5 inches of peat providing the start of a burrow and filling the bottom (the pebble area) with water. The Cobalt would then complete the burrow to his/her liking..

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
IME, follow the above-reference thread. Martin keeps lots of these little critters. Since I put mine in that type of enclosure, they've been happy, healthy girls! I keep all my Haplopelmas like that now.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also keep mine in the same way as Martin, Volker and Ray.

I'm not a subscriber to the "bone dry tank with a waterdish" school of thought. :)