Cloth lid?

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The idea of cloth lids came to me a while back, and I'm wondering if such an idea would be feasible. It seems to me that they solve the problem of T's losing legs to screens and would also provide the neccessary ventilation, but I have yet to try it out. Any thoughts?

Derekool

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How would you attach said cloth?
Rubber bands?
And on what type of enclosures (glass, plastic?)

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
The idea of cloth lids came to me a while back, and I'm wondering if such an idea would be feasible. It seems to me that they solve the problem of T's losing legs to screens and would also provide the neccessary ventilation, but I have yet to try it out. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, tarantulas can chew through cloth. A friend of mine tried cloth lids last year when he got a few spiderlings and endured an anxious few days before he was able to locate the escapees. There have even been cases reported of determined obligate burrowers gnawing their way through plastic containers. Tarantulas can be determined escape artists, and it doesn't do to underestimate them.

Joy

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also saw a picture somewhere here. It was a picture of a chewed metal screen. It was a Nhandu chromatus I think that did it.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's interesting. I wonder if it might still be feasible for scorps seeing as how they have much less succes climbing smooth surfaces?

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
You could possibly use the cloth with a regular wire mesh lid. The clothe the bottom towards the t with mesh on top for security.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. avic has a cloth lid on it's jar.

It's the sleeve of an old cotton T shirt and it's fastened to the lip of the jar by a hair elastic. So far there hasn't been any escaping, but Trickster is still a sling and is only an inch at most.

I ended up using the cloth because the jar lid I had punched holes in turned out to be part of a different jar, and it had these extra panels in it that made it impossible to use with the current jar.

But it's getting a new enclosure soon, so in the meantime I'm just going to find something to reinforce the cloth with, or else place the small jar in a bigger enclosure like a Kritter Keeper for security.

After reading about the escaping spiderlings in this thread, I don't know why Trickster hasn't escaped. I keep him well fed and misted and he seems quite comfortable in the enclosure. He's built a nest in a fake flower and spends most of his time hanging out in there. It's pretty close to the top of the jar, but I've only seen him on the cloth once or twice.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
After reading about the escaping spiderlings in this thread, I don't know why Trickster hasn't escaped. I keep him well fed and misted and he seems quite comfortable in the enclosure. He's built a nest in a fake flower and spends most of his time hanging out in there. It's pretty close to the top of the jar, but I've only seen him on the cloth once or twice.
I wonder if it might be because yours is an arboreal. Perhaps they are less prone to gnaw through barriers. I have never seen any of my own arboreal tarantulas using their fangs on their screen lids the way some of my burrowers do.

Joy

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer