cleaned tank, shes not happy?

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so i cleaned out my rosies tank. i put in the same substrate she had in before, peat moss mixed with some virgin top soil. when i put it in, i misted it, put in her hides and water dish, then i patted the soil down and let it dry for a little bit. when i put her in there was still some drops of water on the side. when i put her in she immediatly went for the sides of the tank. she climbed all over the sides for about an hour then just sort of settled down against the glass and has been there for hours. Now its morning and she hasn't moved. is she unhappy with it? should i take the substrate out and put in new, dry soil?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It will generally take a few days or week for a tarantula to settle in after an enclosure change. In addition, your substrate may still be a bit too moist for her. It will dry out and she should settle in over the next week or so.

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'll see if i can't take the humidity in the apartment down a bit to help it dry out a little faster.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just let it dry out, dont mist at all...just use a water dish and a hide...

Regards, Mike

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
last time i changed her substrate, i misted it so that it was easier to pat down. I waited longer last time, but this time she wasn't in a good mood so i thought putting her back in and leaving her alone would be best. Shes walking around now and cleaning herself. I just put in a few crickets and she snatched one right up. She's fine now. I should have waited a couple hours before i put her in.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rosie was pretty pissed when I went from pure Peat (without added fertilizers) to a Vermiculite and Bed-A-Beast mix. She held motionless for a few days on top of a rock. Within 3-4 days I found her inside her hiding spot and rearranged the entire decor to her “liking”. She digs and eats like before. Just being a little brat like after every cage change I’ve done. :rolleyes:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Just let it dry out, dont mist at all...just use a water dish and a hide...

Regards, Mike

I agree. I also agree with Windchaser, it takes a few days to a week for a tarantula to settle after a substrate change.

-Matty

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I normally help with the situation by relocating some of my spiders webbing to the new substrate. This seems to help with familiarity and help ease the animal through the change.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i changed my rosie's setup after a molt, she had been on the same stuff about 10 years and she was pissed when it was new. she pouted and stayed atop her half log or like 3 months. but she is fine now, very happy.