Clam Shrimp, Genus Cyzicus

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the best photo I have taken so far. Camera is Canon A400, 3.2mp. These little creatures have a lifespan of about 6 months in temporary pools like fairy shrimp and Triops. When threatened they close up in their shells and look just like a tiny clam. This one is an adult about 1/2 inch long. I got 1 good pic out of about 50 blurry ones. That is a Daphnia off the right of its antenna.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that is SUCH a cool pic!

do these to the triops style make next years batch and just add water?

i remember your triops posts :)

awesome awesome pic man!

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, same deal as Triops, dry out and add water again. This is only the second time Ive had these, and I wont know if any were female for a few months more. I only have 2 this time.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I find these from time to time in vernal pools nearby (within 20 minutes of my home). Neat-o creatures....

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great pic! I've found and kept these too but mine didn't last long. I come across them seining around on a floodplain in late Spring. What can you buy to feed them?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Come on Andrew, you're hobby is "info collecting", you just messin around with us or is this one of the rare times you didn't look into it? I read they grow the shell. These freaked me out when I found them back in the early 80's. I thought they were clams, then they started swimming around, like a fairy shrimp had gotten stuck inside a clam shell. I worked in a pet store back then and we tried to sell them. But like I said, I couldn't keep them alive long. I read they eat algae and are filter feeders also.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On ebay, search for seller name dadasis. I know he sells this same species, in fact I think he uses one of my photos (with permission).

Yes, the do grow their own shell, and this species lives about 6 months. The clear shelled variety lives about 2 weeks.

The first time I ever found one of the dark shells, I thought it was a little clam too. It wasnt moving, so I put it in a bucket and drove home. I didnt know what I had till I dumped it in an aquarium and it started swimming.

I should have used common sense and realized there probably arent any molluscs in a roadside ditch, but hey, I learn something new every year.