Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens Molt

jintikki

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys,

ive got a GBB sling (about 5cm). I guess the T is about to molt but im concerned because it takes about 24h now. The T is on its back, it made the web bed and nothing happend till now. Any guesses?

Attachments

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hi Guys,

ive got a GBB sling (about 5cm). I guess the T is about to molt but im concerned because it takes about 24h now. The T is on its back, it made the web bed and nothing happend till now. Any guesses?
My best advice to give you is don't mess with it. Try not to bump the enclosure. Give it a few days before concern.

On a side note, that enclosure looks too small for that Tarantula. Could be just the picture though.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is a completely inappropriate set up for a GBB, let alone one of that size.

A sling shouldn't take 24 hours to molt... they complete the process rather quickly. I'd say something is amiss. Is the substrate wet? Is there any ventilation? Moist, stuffy conditions kill Ts.

jintikki

Arachnopeon
That is a completely inappropriate set up for a GBB, let alone one of that size.

A sling shouldn't take 24 hours to molt... they complete the process rather quickly. I'd say something is amiss. Is the substrate wet? Is there any ventilation? Moist, stuffy conditions kill Ts.
Good to know because thats the Setup from the Petshop. Substrate is dry. Ventilation is an the top. I guess ill wait another 24h.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I feel like a lot of tarantulas are kept without adequate access to water in pet stores and when you bring them home and they try to moult quickly after you bought them it almost never goes well because the loss of fluids is too great to recoup the water necessary to moult successfully. I hope yours is the exception.

jintikki

Arachnopeon
The thing is to find the right state of humidity. GBBs dont need that much of it. But slings do need a little more of it. What makes me wonder is, the abdomen doesnt look wrinkled at all. And the color of it, is a good deep black and orange... we will see tomorrow.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Good to know because thats the Setup from the Petshop. Substrate is dry. Ventilation is an the top. I guess ill wait another 24h.
The setup from the pet shop is only ideal for transport, and was probably its home at a much smaller size.

Best thing to do is wait it out. After the molt, give it some water and wait a few days. Then rehouse.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Am I the only person who doesn't think that it's in molting position? To me it looks like post a post molt position when a T. bends their legs in like that after a molt. If it were in molting position at least a good number of it's legs will be pointing straight forwards and not bent in. Who knows? Maybe the enclosure is just super small which is why it molted with bent-in legs or maybe somethings wrong.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Am I the only person who doesn't think that it's in molting position? To me it looks like post a post molt position when a T. bends their legs in like that after a molt. If it were in molting position at least a good number of it's legs will be pointing straight forwards and not bent in. Who knows? Maybe the enclosure is just super small which is why it molted with bent-in legs or maybe somethings wrong.
I think it’s not pointing its legs out because it doesn’t have the room to do that. I can see how that looks more like post molt, but that would also require the presence of a molt :troll:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That spider doesn't have the room to properly stretch out. When mine have moulted in a hammock that restricts their space, despite them having plenty of room elsewhere, then their legs can be bent like that.
That vial is too small for a spider of that size. Hopefully they moult successfully.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I think it’s not pointing its legs out because it doesn’t have the room to do that. I can see how that looks more like post molt, but that would also require the presence of a molt :troll:
That spider doesn't have the room to properly stretch out. When mine have moulted in a hammock that restricts their space, despite them having plenty of room elsewhere, then their legs can be bent like that.
That vial is too small for a spider of that size. Hopefully they moult successfully.
Yep, so then it's lack of space as I stated earlier. Man do I feel bad for that T. in such small room. :eek:

jintikki

Arachnopeon
Ok i guess the picture doesnt show the enclosure properly and maybe yes its a little small. But the T can fully stretch the legs, no problem.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Ok i guess the picture doesnt show the enclosure properly and maybe yes its a little small. But the T can fully stretch the legs, no problem.
Since this is a faster growing species, and can gain a significant amount of size after moulting, they do far better in enclosures that give them a little more space than is appropriate for slower growing species who gain less size.
You haven't seen the size of the spider coming out of that exoskeleton and they will likely require a lot more room to stretch out after moulting than they required before.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pet shops are a pretty good source of incorrect, potentionally harmful information in regards to tarantula husbandry.

The thing is to find the right state of humidity.
Humidity is not what tarantulas need, as they cannot draw moisture from the air.

Some species require damp substrate, and that also needs to be paired with adequate ventilation to avoid creating a stuffy enclosure.

GBBs do not need moist substrate. They only need a water bowl or a bit of water dribbled into the enclosure on the webbing for drinking if the enclosure is too small for a water bowl (some people go to crazy lengths to use micro water bowls... I am not one of them).

You should rehouse this sling ASAP into something with plenty of ventilation and an opportunity to drink.

jintikki

Arachnopeon
GBBs do not need moist substrate. They only need a water bowl or a bit of water dribbled into the enclosure on the webbing for drinking if the enclosure is too small for a water bowl (some people go to crazy lengths to use micro water bowls... I am not one of them).
That's what i meant with humidity. I dribbled water into the enclosure. Sorry for the wrong word.

Since the T hasnt changed this morning, but the legs are now closer to her body. I would say it is to late

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
There's really no harm in trying to move the tarantula. If it's dead, moving it into a decent sized enclosure with a bottle cap of water won't hurt it.