Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens-- Adult Container Size Survey..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Owners of Adult C. cyaneopubescens input requested.

My AF GBB is getting a rehouse, however I haven't determined the exact size, ie floor space she will get yet.

I'd like to know what size container people are keeping their Adult GBBs in, AND equally as important, are they webbing the entire container with equally as dense silk or is it localized? Pics always appreciated!

As some people have noticed, Ts kept in containers that are too small will typically define the entire floor space as their home and any disturbance into their home is suspect to them.

My AF GBB is in a container that is too small since her molt a few months ago.

I'd like to put her into something where she will define her home base/burrow etc, but hopefully will treat a portion of the container as not her home base per se and thus won't mind husbandry intrusions as much as she does now. Similar to what I have seen native GBBS do in the wild.

I suspect w/this species this may not feasible, ie it may require a lager container than I can accommodate. However, I thought I'd ask just to see what people are doing and have noticed.

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
I keep mine in hefty brand rubber storage container. Clear see through it roughly has about the same floor space as a 10 gal. Aquarium would, though maybe a bit wider. I keep a half cork round at one end half buried into the substrate and a water dish at the other end of the container. If you touch anywhere in the container there is webbing but the majority is on the half with her hide. (As in you can't see the substrate on that side!) I can lift the lid and she never moves. Also she doesn't web over or fill/bury the water dish. I'd say it's about the perfect size for an adult female. Any bigger I say is overkill.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep mine in hefty brand rubber storage container. Clear see through it roughly has about the same floor space as a 10 gal. Aquarium would, though maybe a bit wider. I keep a half cork round at one end and a water dish at the other. If you touch anywhere in the container there is webbing but the majority is on the half with her hide. (As in you can't see the substrate on that side!) I can lift the lid and she never moves. I'd say it's about the perfect size for an adult female.
Thanks for the specific information. I suspect I'll end up going this route in terms of size. I always appreciate a container that has more depth than a 10 gal.

I expect webbing trip wires across the entire substrate as with all my other Ts, but wasn't sure how far out a GBB will you go from "home". As you know they are ultra dense webbers! I love it!

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the specific information. I suspect I'll end up going this route in terms of size. I always appreciate a container that has more depth than a 10 gal.

I expect webbing trip wires across the entire substrate as with all my other Ts, but wasn't sure how far out a GBB will you go from "home". As you know they ultra dense webbers! I love it!
She leaves a string of web no matter where she goes! Lol but it's only heavy where she stays and less towards her water dish. Although the ground is fully coated you can still see substrate easily on the water dish side. I know most have problems with them filling or covering the water dish if it's too close to their "home"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She leaves a string of web no matter where she goes! Lol but it's only heavy where she stays and less towards her water dish. Although the ground is fully coated you can still see substrate easily on the water dish side. I know most have problems with them filling or covering the water dish if it's too close to their "home"
Yep, I want to give her space and ME so I can manage her water ball hahah. Fortunately she doesn't fill it, but she doesn't web over it. I think it's pretty amazing how one species evolved into such a dense webber compared to many other species in the NW.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have always housed mines (now i have only one, a juvenile 0.1) in normal KK 'medium' enclosures, the same where now are also housed my 0.1 Ceratogyrus marshalli and 0.1 Pterinochilus murinus.
I use those for 'medium' sized Theraphosidae.

Yes i "work" in the little with some T's :)

My (GBB) covered of course with web the enclosure but not completely, for instance, the water dish is (and always remained, until now ah ah, who knows tomorrow?) web-free.

The set up is basically the average one: a cork bark for hide (she "webbed" her own hide, behind the fake leaves) that she don't use but loves sometimes to investigate, fake leaves, bone dry coco fiber. Nothing more.

All of those things are in the left/center part of the enclosure, on the right a glass water dish, with only a "nothing" of web.

This is what i use:
http://reptyfood.com/it/fauna-box-dragon/618-dragon-fauna-box-medium-12lt.html

Size are (in cm): 30 X 19,5 X 21

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can tell you what's not big enough. 8"x12". Mine seemed fine in this for about 4 months after a molt, and she pretty much just stayed in the log. Ever since it warmed up, however, she's been webbing like mad. I'm actually building her a new enclosure tomorrow.
20160307_212843.jpg

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Has anyone tried mixing coco fiber and potting soil? I have super fluffy coco fiber and thought that if I get a b albopilosum it'd be happier with a more compact substrate but keep some coco fiber because of its benefits against mold. Should I do 50/50 or more of one?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Mine's not an adult yet(she's over 3"), but I keep her in a fairly large enclosure for her size(a 5 gal aquarium) and she's made most of it her home.

She has a cork hide on one side and a plant with a waterbowl next to it on the other and she's made a home that she actively use under the plant, on top of the plant(very recent), in the cork hide and over the cork hide(she's there less often now that she's bigger than she originally was, this was her first hide). Even then, she like to hang out in the only spot where there's nothing for her to hide from time to time.

At least she's not too territorial in this enclosure compared to her previous deli cup, probably due to its size, so I have no problem cleaning stuff or removing the water dish, even when she's fairly close to it(but I usually wait until she's on the other side).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Has anyone tried mixing coco fiber and potting soil?
Never use potting soil. Ever. Use topsoil, there is a huge difference. You can buy a 20lb bag of topsoil at Walmart for $2. When you buy, just make sure it has no cedar or fertilizer in it. If ingredients aren't listed on the bad (they certainly should be), then don't buy it.

To answer your question, pure topsoil is all I use for all of my tarantulas, from burrowers to arboreals. Cocofiber is great for beginners because it's pretty fool-proof, but I hate the stuff.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Yeah topsoil is what I meant oops. So I should just use topsoil or is it okay if I mix? I kinda hate cocofiber cuz it can get chunky and I've heard that some T's will spend more time on the side of the enclosure if the sub is too fluffy which my cocofiber really is.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I guess I don't understand why you would even want to mix. Cocofiber doesn't hold moisture very well, it doesn't support burrows, it's messy, it's expensive, it molds worse than wood, and slings don't seem to enjoy it at all. Once again, use straight topsoil.

Regardless, that's not what this thread is about. Viper, I'm very glad you made this thread when you did. I'm going to be making my new enclosure today, and I'll be taking into consideration what a few users said on here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has anyone tried mixing coco fiber and potting soil? I have super fluffy coco fiber and thought that if I get a b albopilosum it'd be happier with a more compact substrate but keep some coco fiber because of its benefits against mold. Should I do 50/50 or more of one?

Have you thought of NOT hijacking my thread?? :wideyed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the pics and descriptions. It seems this will be QUITE a task to have a size container where she won't web over the dish IF that's even possible as they are all individuals and do their own thing, and of course change/expand their territory over time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can tell you what's not big enough. 8"x12". Mine seemed fine in this for about 4 months after a molt, and she pretty much just stayed in the log. Ever since it warmed up, however, she's been webbing like mad. I'm actually building her a new enclosure tomorrow.
View attachment 206617
Euler her box is a "Container Store Shoe Box Special"? It looks good. I love the Really Useful Box, aren't they great!

louise f

Arachnoangel
What are the dimensions? And Louise, how does your GBB react to husbandry activities like opening the lid and more importantly cleaning out or refilling the water bowl?
She is pretty calm, either she just go inside her cork tube when i open, to clean and such things, or just sits in her web. Dimensions is 16" length 8" height x 12" debt.