Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 6CM enclosure size

FC360

Arachnopeon
I'm having a bit of a issue right now with the enclosure for a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens I'm receiving next week. I've ordered a 6CM leg span female and got a exo terra standard large faunarium which is 37 x 22 x 25cm but was told this is too big for the 6cm tarantula and was told to get a smaller enclosure and was recommended a Braplast 5.8l which is 18.5 x 18.5 x 19cm but upon posting a setup photo I was told that it is way too small so I'm at a complete loss.

I can't afford to buy yet another enclosure and even if I could I'm not sure it would arrive in time. Is the smaller enclosure ok for the 6cm leg span Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens? It's kind of frustrating being told to buy something only to then be told it's too small and really need some advice. All the information I've found is about adults so I've been asking for advice on facebook tarantula groups, but this is where the conflicting information is causing me some issue.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
6 cm is about 2-2.5” thats pretry small and at that size i would keep her in a sterilite tub about 7 liters.

based just off of the dimensions (i don’t know what they look like, Either container would probably work (at least for a while) but they both seem excessively tall IMO. This species doesn’t typically dig much so it doesn't need a ton of substrate but in those containers you will have to put a lot to likit the head space. GBB can have a bit more height than say a brachypelma and i jnow they get the “semi-arboreal” label a lot, but i treet them as a terrestrial species.

FC360

Arachnopeon
6 cm is about 2-2.5” thats pretry small and at that size i would keep her in a sterilite tub about 7 liters.

based just off of the dimensions (i don’t know what they look like, Either container would probably work (at least for a while) but they both seem excessively tall IMO. This species doesn’t typically dig much so it doesn't need a ton of substrate but in those containers you will have to put a lot to likit the head space. GBB can have a bit more height than say a brachypelma and i jnow they get the “semi-arboreal” label a lot, but i treet them as a terrestrial species.
Yeah I wasn't too sure about the height as they seemed a bit tall but I figured I could use substrate and some plants and cork bark to reduce the height a bit. I'm mainly looking at dark den on youtube and looking through loads of stuff on google search result plus facebook groups. I could get a tub that's 28.5 x 16 x 13.5 cm but I assumed that would be too big as well.

The world of tarantula keeping is very confusing with conflicting information but I'm learning :D

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I could get a tub that's 28.5 x 16 x 13.5 cm
is that L x W x H, if so that would be fine.
The braplast tub is fine to use too just add a bit more substrate most terrestrial species I give 3 x legspan for floor space and 1.5 x for height but give the GBB closer to 2 x height as there not as stocky as most NW terrestrials

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I replied on Wastebook so I'll just reiterate what I said here, the 5.8L braplast is fine, people on FB go on like you're some sort of animal abuser if you don't keep your collection in oversized glass enclosures.

The picture below shows a 5cm D. diamantinensis in a 4.5L hobby life tub (around the size of an exo terra small standard faunarium), it has tonnes of space.

Set it up in a similar fashion to this but with dry substrate.

69779277_2888757477804339_595563096093753344_n.jpg

FC360

Arachnopeon
is that L x W x H, if so that would be fine.
The braplast tub is fine to use too just add a bit more substrate most terrestrial species I give 3 x legspan for floor space and 1.5 x for height but give the GBB closer to 2 x height as there not as stocky as most NW terrestrials
I think its LxWxH, I know it's definitely 13cm high, I wish these websites would state in which order the dimensions are given.

I replied on Wastebook so I'll just reiterate what I said here, the 5.8L braplast is fine, people on FB go on like you're some sort of animal abuser if you don't keep your collection in oversized glass enclosures.

The picture below shows a 5cm D. diamantinensis in a 4.5L hobby life tub (around the size of an exo terra small standard faunarium), it has tonnes of space.

Set it up in a similar fashion to this but with dry substrate.

View attachment 319238
Ok thank you, I will change the setup later to look similar to that and yeah I glanced at your comment via notification a few seconds ago :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For that size i may use a enclosure around 15-20 cm in lenghts and width! For a Cc i use a luttle higher enclosure, say 20cm so i can fit sub and anchorpoints

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I think its LxWxH, I know it's definitely 13cm high, I wish these websites would state in which order the dimensions are given.
I think the braplast tub is going to be best for you’re T, set it up and post some pics on here and you will be advised on setup if there is anything that can be done better

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I find this hilarious, what a dumb bunch of people.
It's so stupid, people going on like you need a 24"x24" enclosure for an average sized tarantula and then turning apoplectic when you tell them that an enclosure that's half that size is more than adequate :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Although providing Ts coffee is a no-no ;)
My hamorii tries to kill me if I don't fix her up a bucket of Americano in the mornings :troll:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's so stupid, people going on like you need a 24"x24" enclosure for an average sized tarantula and then turning apoplectic when you tell them that an enclosure that's half that size is more than adequate :banghead::banghead::banghead:

My hamorii tries to kill me if I don't fix her up a bucket of Americano in the mornings :troll:
I'm telling you people are stupid. No critical thinking, parroting info they haven't even vetted-see it here all the time, I know you've seen it. I find the glass vs plastic just so stupid that I KNOW those people would not survive under Darwin's survival of the fittest; they aren't fit enough to think!

FC360

Arachnopeon
Ok so I decided to redo the enclosure as the cork bark I had didn't leave much room and this is what I've got. Not sure about the cork bark that's I've put in but if it works I'll probably use some glue to stick it down so it can't collapse although I'm a little bit concerned about the GBB getting into it as theres not much space so I might move the plants around a bit. Oh and water dish will be added in the bottom left I just haven't added it yet :)

20190902_171429.jpg 20190902_171435.jpg

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I’d move the cork bark to the empty space you have, you won’t see any of that soon when it starts webbing anyway all you need for you’re GBB are anchor points.

FC360

Arachnopeon
I’d move the cork bark to the empty space you have, you won’t see any of that soon when it starts webbing anyway all you need for you’re GBB are anchor points.
It needs more anchor points? Darn I thought the branch and plants would be enough anchor points hahaha. I guess I have to go out and get some more anchor points tomorrow.

The thing about the cork bark is it's really thick which kind of limits where I can put it and still have space for the GBB to hide. Maybe I'm overthinking this lol

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
It needs more anchor points? Darn I thought the branch and plants would be enough anchor points hahaha. I guess I have to go out and get some more anchor points tomorrow.

The thing about the cork bark is it's really thick which kind of limits where I can put it and still have space for the GBB to hide. Maybe I'm overthinking this lol
The GBB will make a hide don’t worry just place the cork bark in the empty part maybe even stand it up and submerge it in the substrate a bit and that will give you plenty of anchor points for it

FC360

Arachnopeon
The GBB will make a hide don’t worry just place the cork bark in the empty part maybe even stand it up and submerge it in the substrate a bit and that will give you plenty of anchor points for it
I prefer the enclosure with the bark where you recommended, I'm really happy with it now and hopefully the GBB likes it too.

20190902_191507.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm telling you people are stupid. No critical thinking, parroting info they haven't even vetted-see it here all the time, I know you've seen it. I find the glass vs plastic just so stupid that I KNOW those people would not survive under Darwin's survival of the fittest; they aren't fit enough to think!
The Anti-"substrate police" and "no enclosure is too big" crowds on there are hilarious.

69769369_2897919636888123_6858693567733301248_n.jpg

FC360

Arachnopeon
I feel like a idiot, did the enclosure and everything and I just realised I forgot to put ventilation holes in it lol. Should the holes be put on the lid or on the side of the tub? Nothings going to be put onto of the tub so if I do put the holes on the lid they won't get blocked but I'm not sure where they should be.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I feel like a idiot, did the enclosure and everything and I just realised I forgot to put ventilation holes in it lol. Should the holes be put on the lid or on the side of the tub? Nothings going to be put onto of the tub so if I do put the holes on the lid they won't get blocked but I'm not sure where they should be.
Holes in the lid will do for GBB