Chopped up mealworms seem superb for small slings, unless it's luck, all my latest sling...

Bailz

Arachnopeon
... aquisitions have taken to them.

Even the ones i felt would only tackle fruit flies, which I was going to head out and purchase today... trying the chopped up worms as a stop-gap, but i feel may just rear the small ones on this food source now!

What are your successes on these?

Personally I'd definitely recommended these to sling keepers; how about you?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Cut up mealworms and superworms are all I feed my small slings, they are likely the best option.

Fruit flies have no value as a feeder.

Bailz

Arachnopeon
Its widely considered to be one of the best ways to feed smaller slings.
Yeah now i understand why :).

Previously I've always had Ghost Mantis or at least some mantid nymphs, and doubled up feeding pin-heads and flies to both these and the slings...

At present i have no mantids thus tried the mealworm diet on recommendation here.

Absolutely spot on!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
most slings will gladly scavenge, only ones I have had trouble with are my P. mets, while my first was a sling it would not take scavenged food and if so it was rare. With my recent one which is an adorable sling I learned using live prey was better and more effective. So really diced up worms is fine for most slings

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
aside from avic slings, diced mealworms are my primary food source for almost all slings. They allow you to feed larger, fattier food to small slings, so i can feed infrequently and still maintain high growth rates....mealies are the low effort, high reward feeder.
Not to hijack the thread, but not overly caring about doing so, what do you feed your avic slings?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I wish I had known this trick last year when I had to "comb the hills" so to speak looking for places that sold pinhead crickets. Ended up getting 100 count in the mail just for four slings but this year with the two new slings I have I tried the diced mealworms and it works like a charm! I find that they also like the mealworm nymphs.

cold blood

Staff member
Not to hijack the thread, but not overly caring about doing so, what do you feed your avic slings?
Usually small crickets, occasionally small dubia.

@Ungoliant feeds them diced mealies with success I don't see....even with slings I bred....she has a great pic of this.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant feeds them diced mealies with success I don't see....even with slings I bred....she has a great pic of this.
They usually won't take the prey immediately, but if I leave them alone, within an hour or two (sometimes sooner), they're feeding.

I cut a mealworm in half for my two Avic slings. The side with the head kept crawling with alarming speed, and when it fell off the edge of the webbing, I thought it was lost. To my surprise, the sling caught it on the way down.

One of them is currently eating a soft-shelled (freshly molted) beetle with the head crushed.