choices of breeding food for scorp's

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i WAS going to do roaches but as soon as i bought a batch for my scorp' my roommate freaked out, and so my only choice now is for crickets... or something else, i'm not sure what else i can feed my scorp that i can breed, btw i mostly own jungle types... i would try mealworms or waxworms, but i heard waxies are way to fatty and meals aren't good for digestion and if not caught soon enough they turn into stinky beetles.... plus she's afraid of earth worms so my safest bet is she'd be afraid of these

but anyway... my roommate doesn't like roaches.... and my pet store down my street is so far horrible with keeping up with their crickets, and other nearest supplier is about half an hour away

but my main question is... what can i breed for my scorpion to feed on whenever she's hungry... that isn't a roach, or are crickets my only hope?

wraith

Arachnopeon
Get Dubia and breed them. Tell him/her that they're tropical pill bugs. They neither look nor behave like most roaches. You should be safe. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you don't have MANY animals to feed, raising your own feeders, imo, it's not worth it. It's hard to say where that line is though. And you might want to do it just for fun if you haven't done it before. For example, I'm feeding 100+ inverts and I still have too many roaches! I use doobs and hisser nymphs. But even if I only used the doobs, there would still be too many doobs.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you don't have MANY animals to feed, raising your own feeders, imo, it's not worth it. It's hard to say where that line is though. And you might want to do it just for fun if you haven't done it before. For example, I'm feeding 100+ inverts and I still have too many roaches! I use doobs and hisser nymphs. But even if I only used the doobs, there would still be too many doobs.
seriously? they'll eat hissers? i was just at butterfly pavilion and they were selling their hissers, but i didn't know if they had some defense mechanism that could repel my poor emperor

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh yeah, they will eat Hissers. I try not to feed out adults though, the immature hissers have a much softer exo. How many scorpions do you have? It sounds like you only have one. If you only have one, it's a waste to raise feeders, unless you raise something that is interesting to you and you also could take one of whatever it is and give it to your scorp now and then. Some kind of roach is the best I can think of.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i actually was thinking... what about Porcellio Scabers? they're pill bugs that grow up to 0.8 inch... i mean scorpions will eat pretty much anything they can get their greedy little claws on right? or do you think Scabers will be to small? i mean... even if they do roll into a ball, my scorpion will crush them!

Last edited:

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My scorpions are starting to love B. dubia, meatier and more nutrition, plus they have more of a scuffle with the roach which I find fun to watch(crix would just go "spluuch").

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what if i do get a colony of roaches, how many should i get? i currently have only one scorpion, but planning on getting a few T's and more scorpions when i move out, planning to be in about january, which is when i'll probably get the roaches, most likely hissers, or even if i do get Dubias, if she doesn't eat them that night, will they attack her as she rests? because i read crickets will do that

Last edited:

mike12348

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unless you plan on have 5 or more T's/Scorpions then 100 dubia should be fine. It can take a few months to have a stable colony, but if you have few animals to feed you won't need many dubia anyways. Also dubias are more likely to burrow and hide rather than attack anything.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unless you plan on have 5 or more T's/Scorpions then 100 dubia should be fine. It can take a few months to have a stable colony, but if you have few animals to feed you won't need many dubia anyways. Also dubias are more likely to burrow and hide rather than attack anything.
yeah... when i move out i'm thinking of starting slow.. maybe a scorp or two, a tarantula... MAYBE a centipede

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry for double post, didn't let me edit but i'm wondering.... would i be able to breed locusts? or would that cause any trouble since locusts roam during the day and scorpions roam the night?

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry, once again... i couldn't edit... i was thinking of meal/superworms? i heard they are bad for REPTILES because they can't digest the hard exoskeleton... but what about arachnids? tarantula's only suck out the fluids, and i think i read somewhere that scorpions also only digest flesh in the form of liquids, ofcourse.... scorpions eat the actual body

so would meal/super worms be bad for a staple diet?

i really need help.... i spend more money on the trip to petstores then than the actual crickets and can't stand the constant chirping at night, roaches are just a symbol of germs, disease, and infestation to my roommate, can't with locusts because they commit cannibalism... and super/meals are bad for digestion i'd try phoenix worms but they look too much like maggots, hornworms just seem like a total pain in the butt... and expensive

Last edited: