Chincobolus spinigerus Care

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! I absolutely love milli's and have always wanted to keep my own colony, but every time I've tried, the colony fails and all the milli's die off. I'm trying yet again, this time with my favorite species: Florida ivories.

I'm going to purchase "millipede substrate" from an online retailer instead of making my own sub. I live in a very dry cllimate and keep things moist (not wet) by having a little less circulation.

So now my biggest decision is picking what temp to keep the enclosure at. I have two options: a room that stays at 65F or a room that varies from 70-80F (lower end at night, higher end during day). Would any of these work? Or will both options kill my milli's?

I really, really hope to have this work out this time. Any advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I live in a very humid climate, but I keep all my millis, including some Florida ivories, at my room temperature which is 75-80F or 69-77F depending on the season. I don't know how they'd fare at 65F, that's too cold for me, lol. I generally try not to let the tanks fall out of 70 degrees F. I think I read somewhere that the 70s were best, I forget.
I can only offer this as anecdotal evidence, but they all seem to be staying alive at these temps.

SFA

Arachnoknight
70-80 for Ivories will be fine. Just make sure they have plenty of substrate to burrow in if it gets too warm for them, and that you don’t ever let the substrate dry out. I keep mine in the upper 70’s and they are happy as can be.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with @SFA and @BepopCola, Ivories like the temperature in the 70-80s range, so your second option would probably work the best. From my experience, once the temperature gets below roughly 68F, Ivories start to die, usually starting with the babies, and then the adults will just be found dead on the surface.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts