CHILOBRACHYS DYSCOLUS ( VIETNAM BLUE

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hello there! I have got 2 CHILOBRACHYS DYSCOLUS ( VIETNAM BLUE ) I found the " male " kinda of tapping on the glass, the "female" is in the tank next to it and it was also out, was wondering, is this sort of " TAPPING " when they want to mate ? I have got both of them since February 2011 and they were sling like 1-2cm .... Are they already in the ADULT STAGE or is still to early?
Please find attached the video of the tapping/size of him.
Thank you for your attention!

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2022-10-22 at 00.14.23.mp4

pandaking

Arachnopeon
Yes! When males are mature they will do that when they want to mate, and females will generally respond.

Maratt

Arachnopeon
2011? <edit> Yes, that is common in mature males.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
For years I've been tapping my fingers trying to emulate species-specific rhythms to entice receptive females. They haven't ever responded to me. I guess I just don't know how to speak tarantula yet. That's what I've been telling myself anyway, instead of facing the likely much harsher truth: that female tarantulas don't find me attractive :sad::bigtears:

codicez

Arachnosquire
Yes! When males are mature they will do that when they want to mate, and females will generally respond.

2011? <edit> Yes, that is common in mature males.

Thank you so much... So is him MATURE already,I thught it would take another half year or so...

So what is your guy recommendation ? I have never breed any tarantula, should I rush the pairing or they can wait for a while?

Should I feed them both or only the female to try to avoid that she will eat the male ?

Any recommendation ?

Thank you!

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
For years I've been tapping my fingers trying to emulate species-specific rhythms to entice receptive females. They haven't ever responded to me. I guess I just don't know how to speak tarantula yet. That's what I've been telling myself anyway, instead of facing the likely much harsher truth: that female tarantulas don't find me attractive :sad::bigtears:
Back when I was a kid and my mum's Ts would tap, I didn't know what they were doing but I always tapped back, just in case it was a secret code.
They stopped when I did, bringing my dopey kid-self some relief: I was just another T and they weren't going to eat me.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Are they already in the ADULT STAGE or is still to early?
According to the coloration of that male in the vid, that male seems to be mature.
As for the female, check the spermethecae:
Mature females have sclerotized spermathecas (hard, brown, defined).Juveniles and subadults have more of a "transparent" spermatheca.

codicez

Arachnosquire
According to the coloration of that male in the vid, that male seems to be mature.
As for the female, check the spermethecae:
Mature females have sclerotized spermathecas (hard, brown, defined).Juveniles and subadults have more of a "transparent" spermatheca.
Not sure how to check this, the last 2 molts are in the burrow but I think the female is also adult, I got them at the same time.
Please find attached a video of last month...

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2022-10-22 at 17.25.40.mp4

My question is "What is the procedure ? "

How long will the Male live for once he is mature? Should I feed them both before pairing them ?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That’s remarkable that it took your male 11 years to mature. My Chilobrachys males matured in 11 months.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
We can't judge how mature the female is without a view of the bottom of the abdomen, where the first set of booklungs are. But if you got them at the same time, were they the same seller? The same sac?

If someone else can chime in, I thought the reason they often matured at different rates was to prevent inbreeding. Is it not something that keepers try to avoid?