chillian rose spider

crazy_lady89

Arachnopeon
we have just got a chillan rose spider and im a bit worried about it biting me but i really wanna hold it. can anyone help me out!!! i just wanna no if its dangerous???

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You should know that before you buy a theraposidae.
Your Grammostola rosea is not dangerous but i would not recommend you to handle it when you are inexperienced, if you drop it it can be fatal.

Last edited:

crazy_lady89

Arachnopeon
well its my boyfriends tbh! its only a baby but i dont really wanna hold it if its gunna bite me! is there anything i can do to try and calm my nerves

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why hold it?
Tarantulas wanna live in solitude and to be left alone and so there is really no reason to hold it.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do applaud you for taking an interest in the T, thats very cool. Couple things to keep in mind, the T doesn't necessarily get anything out of being held, it isn't looking for affection. If you do want to hold it, thats fine but keep in mind that they are very fragile. And they can bite. You need to have confidence before you attempt to hold it. If you do, and it gets startled, bite or no bite, you might jerk and fling it. That will probably kill it. You should get more familiar with the spider, watch its behaviors, its movements, to get comfortable with it. Lightly touch it with a paint brush and see how it reacts. Work from there. I don't hold mine, much as I want to, because I'm not sure how I would react to a bite or escape attempt.

pearson340

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if its really small there normaly really fast so i wouldnt handle it untill its much bigger just incase it fell and died and we dont want that but its worth while because u get great pics like this :

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Just a couple of handling tips:

1) Keep it low to the ground.
2) Make only slow movements.
3) And most importantly, stay calm.

Tarantulas don't need to be handled, but if you must keep in mind that they are more afraid of you than you are of them, and they are "entrusting" you with their lives.

Zebo777

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does he hold it? If so have him help you maybe over a bed or something soft if it falls. What size is it?

crazy_lady89

Arachnopeon
thanx guys shes only small but my b/f cant really hold her incase she does bite coz he has problems with his heart! she moves around alot in her cage and seems quite happy when we open the cage (which makes a bit of a click sound) she doesnt flinch but idk if its coz shes scared!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
we have just got a chillan rose spider and im a bit worried about it biting me but i really wanna hold it. can anyone help me out!!! i just wanna no if its dangerous???
search for "I am a big dummy" and read what can happen to a T during a fall.
anyway if you choose to hold it be sure to sit on the floor preferably one that has carpet . keep it low so it doesn't splat. and if you are worried about getting bitten, dont do it. some day you will get bit.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if its really small there normaly really fast so i wouldnt handle it untill its much bigger just incase it fell and died and we dont want that but its worth while because u get great pics like this :
Alright...

First of all, I would't necessarily call that a 'great' pic... :}

Smaller spiders are less likely to be injured during a fall than larger ones.

And it's "they're", not there.

Also, great pics can be taken of a spider in its enclosure just as easily (if not more easily) than when they are on your hand. No risk of being tagged that way, either.

And to the OP, if you heed Drachen's advice and run that search, look in the announcements section, not here. ;)

Also, it's a 'Chilean Rose Hair'. Grammostola rosea.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, if you don't feel confident that you won't flinch, don't do it. That flinch could be fatal to the T, whether it be you knocking it off your hand or the T startling and falling. You making jerky movements or breathing on it(we purposefully turn our heads when breathing out) can cause the T to hurry/ bolt forward a few/ a lot of steps.

Someone already said that you need to observe its behavior and that is good advice. You can gently touch its legs with a paintbrush/ chopstick. Sometimes a paintbrush is not liked by our smaller Ts, so we use a chopstick instead. Do some research, have your boyfriend do some if he hasn't. You really should learn about an animal, before you go running to hold it.

Edit: Other people have already given you good handling tips for that day in the future, when you do hold the T.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Also, it's a 'Chilean Rose Hair'. Grammostola rosea.

Alright...

not according to Stan Schultz (quoted from the sticky on Chilean rose tarantulas):

"The tarantula you refer to is Grammostola rosea. While everybody has their own favorite variations for the common name, the official American Arachnological Society Committee on Common Names name for them is 'Chilean rose.' Capital 'Chilean,' lower case 'rose.' The plural is 'roses,' not 'rosies' although I have to admit that I sometimes use the latter. There is no such thing as a 'rose hair' or 'rosehair.' Tarantulas have bristles, not hair. (All right, 'picky picky picky.' :)"

Pretty simple mistake if you ask me. I am putting you on ignore because, while I've seen a lot of "advice" and criticism in your posts, I've seen almost no CONSTRUCTIVE advice or criticism. Don't bother replying to this post thinking that you'll have any affect on me. I won't see it.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i consider 'Chilean rose' to be the proper common name, but "hair" always seems to slip out at the end when i say it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright...

not according to Stan Schultz (quoted from the sticky on Chilean rose tarantulas):

"The tarantula you refer to is Grammostola rosea. While everybody has their own favorite variations for the common name, the official American Arachnological Society Committee on Common Names name for them is 'Chilean rose.' Capital 'Chilean,' lower case 'rose.' The plural is 'roses,' not 'rosies' although I have to admit that I sometimes use the latter. There is no such thing as a 'rose hair' or 'rosehair.' Tarantulas have bristles, not hair. (All right, 'picky picky picky.' :)"

Pretty simple mistake if you ask me. I am putting you on ignore because, while I've seen a lot of "advice" and criticism in your posts, I've seen almost no CONSTRUCTIVE advice or criticism. Don't bother replying to this post thinking that you'll have any affect on me. I won't see it.
I'm not really concerned with my effect on you. Trust me.

But if you do happen to read this (and to everyone else who does read it), I was referring to the misspelling of 'Chilean', not whether or not they put 'hair' at the end. But hey, thanks for your constructive advice. :rolleyes:

Always a pleasure making someone's ignore list. :D

Last edited: