Chilean rose temperature recommendation on caresheets' accuracy

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about that. My seemanni is an adult, and doesn't really want to eat anything else except prekilled food.

I'm no expert, but I would guess that different situational attributes affect the spider's desire to scavenge. Hunger, possible difficulties in killing live prey, etc. After all, there are people who have nursed wounded adult spiders back to health with "insect soup", which is certainly dead :D

Blinx

Arachnopeon
This is what I found online:"All tarantulas must have distinct day and night periods in their enclosure to maintain their biological rhythms. Rose hair tarantulas need 8-12 hours of daytime and 8-12 hours of nighttime. However, as the daylight hours change seasonally outside, daylight hours inside the tank should reflect the same."

"This species will do best if you maintain the enclosure at 78° to 82° F. The humidity is best kept at between 60 to 80%." -
"They are quite happy living at temperatures of around 25-30°C (77-86°F),"
"Warm side - 75-90 ℉"

Mine has a temp range of 70-88 in it's habitat. Give or take a few degrees. It goes to whatever temp it wants.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
This is what I found online:"All tarantulas must have distinct day and night periods in their enclosure to maintain their biological rhythms. Rose hair tarantulas need 8-12 hours of daytime and 8-12 hours of nighttime. However, as the daylight hours change seasonally outside, daylight hours inside the tank should reflect the same."

"This species will do best if you maintain the enclosure at 78° to 82° F. The humidity is best kept at between 60 to 80%." -
"Warm side - 75-90 ℉"

Mine has a temp range of 70-88 in it's habitat. Give or take a few degrees. It goes to whatever temp it wants.
Wow Lol, your on a thread reviving streak!

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Warm side - 75-90 ℉"

I would be very VERY wary of believing any information on the so called caresheets that abound on the internet.
Most are just absolute junk and it is very obvious that many of the so called authors of these 'caresheets' have absolutely no idea at all what they are writing about.

You do realise that G rosea live in a cool environment where 77F is the HOTTEST day that they would normally encounter and temps in the mid 60's is their average summer temps ?

Temperature for Atacama Desert, Antofagasta, Chile

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The desert of Chile is pretty cold at night (not that the other deserts around the world are so hot night time, lol) so for a Grammostola rosea the normal room temperature is fine, and for the humidity water dish only is even enough (necessary, however).
That's a "caresheet" along with a hide, for those T's.

The thing we could discuss is what we mean for normal room temperatures because if someone is Mr. Freeze, then there's an issue. Jok, long live zombie threads.

Blinx

Arachnopeon
I would be very VERY wary of believing any information on the so called caresheets that abound on the internet.
Most are just absolute junk and it is very obvious that many of the so called authors of these 'caresheets' have absolutely no idea at all what they are writing about.

You do realise that G rosea live in a cool environment where 77F is the HOTTEST day that they would normally encounter and temps in the mid 60's is their average summer temps ?

Temperature for Atacama Desert, Antofagasta, Chile

THANKS.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My seemanni is an adult, and doesn't really want to eat anything else except prekilled food.
That is nowhere near the norm. I've had a number of seemani forms over the decades (Costa Rican blue, Honduran brown, & Guatemalan grey) and all are/were avid eaters of live prey.

cold blood

Staff member
Rosehairs have absolutely, positively no humidity requirement, and as wide of a temp tolerance of any t you are likely to ever keep. Anything between 55 and 95 and you are good.

Caresheets=fecal matter

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Just for fun as much for anything else, I have a weather program that I run. It allows you to add different areas and keep them in tabs so you can check the conditions of the area of your choice. I've included a few places that a couple of my species live. Currently, in Santarem Brazil, it is 93 degrees. If my research was correct, A. geniculata calls the area home.
I also plugged in Maricopa, Arizona because I was curious in regard to the extremes in which my Smeringurus mesaensis (dune scorpion) lives. As of this writing, the temperature there is 55 degrees. Of course in the summer it gets blazing hot. In regard to the genic, the data is pretty useless, obviously I'm not going to try to keep the temperatures at 93 degrees in her enclosure, she seems to be doing fine in the low 70's. However in the case of the scorpion, it has kept me from worrying about maintaining ultra-hot temperatures for it, it too does just fine at room temperature it seems and if I was going to interpret anything, it would be that the species ought to have a cooling period in the winter months as opposed to trying to maintain blistering temperatures year round.

None of this is meant to be even remotely scientific or necessary, there are way too many variables to consider, like differences between night and day, etc. It's just kind of interesting to see what the conditions are like for my critter's wild relatives.

If anybody is interested in playing with it like I do, here is a link to a download location which has seemed to be a pretty dependable site for freeware. Of course, I bear no responsibility, blah, blah, blah, but I've gotten quite a bit of freeware stuff here and haven't had any issues that I can recall.
Weathermate

Last edited: