Chilean Rose hasn't ate in over a year...

Corbet

Arachnopeon
I've had a Chillean Rose for over 3 years now and this past year he hasn't ate, at all. He's only molted once and every couple weeks, when I get crickets for my Bearded Dragon, I'll drop a few in his container. Even if the crickets go directly under him or climb on him he does nothing.

A week or so after I feed him I usually find the cricket's bodies dead in the cage. Why is this happening? Shouldn't I be worrying? He seems to be in good health.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you say 'he' are you just saying that or is he actually a male? If he's a mature male he won't eat alot, so that could be it. Grammostola rosea are also the weirdos of the T world and actually fast for awhile.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are extreme fasters, i guess caus not only are they slow growers and slow feeds aswell caus there metabolisum is slow also if you in a colder part of the country that doesnt help there metabolisum, mine hasnt eaten if whats got to be 3 months her last molt was in march of this year so she might be pre-molt

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When you say 'he' are you just saying that or is he actually a male? If he's a mature male he won't eat alot, so that could be it. Grammostola rosea are also the weirdos of the T world and actually fast for awhile.
I agree. Does your T have " hooks and gloves " Hooks on the front two legs on the underside ? And rounded glove like pedipalps ?

Do you have a pic ?

Corbet

Arachnopeon
First thing tomorrow I'll take a picture of his top, front, and bottom (through glass).

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea all those angles will be fine.

These are different types of tarantulas, but if your male has these...
hooks

and bulbs

..then it is a mature male tarantula.

Heres an old mature male G.rosea making a sperm web..

tarantula3898

Arachnopeon
The entire 1.5 years I had my Rosie, she never ate traditional food. The only thing she ever ate was one male Rosie(2 stupid kids thinking they knew how to breed them) and one Costa Rican Zebra(we left the tops of both of the cages open thinking that neither of them could climb walls and apparently the corners of a cage have more grip than you expect.

Lived for a total of 2.5 years after i got her and I got her full grown 6in for 20$, who knows how long it was before she ate at the pet store.

Sadly Rosie died trying to molt.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I can see it's definately not a mature male, but it does have a nice big abdomen for not eating over a year. Its colors are kind dull too so I say a molt should be around the corner sometime.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Novak

Click on the second picture. It gets bigger. Those look like hooks to me. I think we have a mature male here.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Novak

Click on the second picture. It gets bigger. Those look like hooks to me. I think we have a mature male here.
I don't see any hooks..:? Also if there was then it would have bulbs which you clearly see that it doesn't. I think I know what you see in that picture that you might think are hooks, but they aren't.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Novak

that is questionable
and there is NOTHING else that suggests Mature Male.

Looks very female to me.. and teh abdomen looks like it's getting dark under the mirror patch..

I say impending molt.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that is questionable

Looks very female to me.. and teh abdomen looks like it's getting dark under the mirror patch..

I say impending molt.

I'm glad I said " think ".... I guess I thought wrong :(

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that is questionable

I say impending molt.
There is nothing there that suggests female either. I'm leaving it as unesexed, in need of a molt.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is it wrong that I clicked on the thread because there was an 'ate' instead of an 'eaten' in the title?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a female Aphonopelma (collected in CA) that hasn't eaten in over 2-years and her abdomen hasn't changed size at all. Still very healthy and active.

I have an ultimate male G. rosea (over 5 years past his ultimate molt) who may eat every 6-12 months.

Eric