Chilean Rose Hair availability?

Steve28885

Arachnopeon
I need a Rose Hair badly. Does anyone know if or when Chile will be open for business again?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
It likely wont open, but it doesnt need to. They are readily available, just shop dealer lists, or the classifieds or even place a want to buy ad. Craigslist is a good place to find rosies as well.

These things practically live forever, current stock will be around for decades.

Steve28885

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks. I cannot seem to find any, at all for sale. I’ll keep on looking though.

I bought a CB sub-adult a week ago from a "regular" pet store. They are less commonly available in recent years but you should still find one with relative ease.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I need a Rose Hair badly.
That's not something you hear every day :D

I don't want to speak badly about this species as I have never owned one, but many with experience keeping these tarantulas agree that they are not the most exciting species in the hobby. Another thing that this tarantulas are infamous for is their tendency to stop eating for months. This is annoying for most keepers, but can be quite stressful for beginners (is it sick, am I doing anything wrong?). They are in general a calm species, but there are individuals that are quite 'moody' (some might say aggressive). Although they are often recommended as a first tarantula, I think they are not the best choice.

What is the exact reason why you want this particular animal? If it is because you are new to keeping Ts and you are looking for a good beginner species, there are other IMO better options that are some more interesting options, such as:

- Most tarantulas of the Brachipelma genus (for example, the B. hamorii);
- any of the Aphonpelma genus;
- Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens;
- Grammostola pulchripes.

I hope this helps :)

Another thing that this tarantulas are infamous for is their tendency to stop eating for months.
In a way, they are the perfect "lazy-man's tarantula" ;)

I don't mind that my rosea does next to nothing most of the time, they are a beautiful species that, IMO, really capture the "Tarantula" look :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
I quite like the look of the red one (is that the true G. rosea as opposed to G. porteri, or the RCF, I am still not completely sure). If I see one for a normal price, I might buy one myself. I am still reluctant to recommend this as a first T, though.

Steve28885

Arachnopeon

I don't want to speak badly about this species as I have never owned one, but many with experience keeping these tarantulas agree that they are not the most exciting species in the hobby. Another thing that this tarantulas are infamous for is their tendency to stop eating for months. This is annoying for most keepers, but can be quite stressful for beginners (is it sick, am I doing anything wrong?). They are in general a calm species, but there are individuals that are quite 'moody' (some might say aggressive). Although they are often recommended as a first tarantula, I think they are not the best choice.

What is the exact reason why you want this particular animal? If it is because you are new to keeping Ts and you are looking for a good beginner species, there are other IMO better options that are some more interesting options, such as:

Thanks for the info! So I have a ton of Ts and other critters, but I have been offered a wonderful job to teach basic entomology to schools/groups/mostly kids etc, and one of the main requirements is to have an adult female rose hair tarantula, due to their calm temperament. I have been searching forever, and this morning I may have finally tracked one down in Cincinnati. It sucks how difficult these are to acquire nowadays!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ah, I see! Still, I would prefer a B. albopilosum instead of a G. rosea as not all are that calm :)

Success with the job! :D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! So I have a ton of Ts and other critters, but I have been offered a wonderful job to teach basic entomology to schools/groups/mostly kids etc, and one of the main requirements is to have an adult female rose hair tarantula, due to their calm temperament. I have been searching forever, and this morning I may have finally tracked one down in Cincinnati. It sucks how difficult these are to acquire nowadays!
You aren't going to be handling the T, are you?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
... and one of the main requirements is to have an adult female rose hair tarantula, due to their calm temperament.
If it's a requirement, it's a requirement, but that's incredibly ill-informed of them. Rosies are a bit infamous for mood swings. My first ever tarantula is a rosie, and she's in the top five of most defensive spiders I own. As a side, the term "rose hair" refers to both G. porteri and G. rosea. They look and act nearly identical, but they are very much distinct species.

Check mom-and-pop exotic pet stores near you. I have trouble believing not a single place has one in stock.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Net-bug.net has them in stock, they are slings.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really regret that i sold

I like them actually, sure they are boring to some degree but they certainly have their personality! I like thst they are so incredibly hardy aswell. I think they are beutiful. I am bummed that i sold off all slings i got from breeding my female. It would have been nice to have some offspring left from her! I got te get her another male!:angelic: Shes a G porteri by the way!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It’s possible. Not very often if so.
Then I'd like to recommend a nice pet rock.

Handling a tarantula in a presentation to young people teaches them it is okay to handle a tarantula, which is the exact opposite of the information they should be receiving. This whole program sounds gravely uneducated about spider husbandry.

Not a true statement. Handling CAN kill a tarantula would be a more accurate statement.
It IS a true statement. He didn't say a spider dies from any handling, he said handling kills spiders. Which it does. A lot.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
It IS a true statement. He didn't say a spider dies from any handling, he said handling kills spiders. Which it does. A lot.
I don't see it the same way, its not the handling, handing a tarantula has never caused a death, its the fall that kills them. Cause of death the fall. A fall could be from anything, too tall of cage ect. Like saying motorcycles kill people, they don't, its the wreck that kills people.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't see it the same way, its not the handling, handing a tarantula has never caused a death, its the fall that kills them. Cause of death the fall. A fall could be from anything, too tall of cage ect. Like saying motorcycles kill people, they don't, its the wreck that kills people.
A fall is ONE way for a T to die as a result of handling. Chemical exposure is another. And if you think a T has never been killed by bare hands themselves, you missed the recent thread on here about that very thing. The "It isn't the tool/weapon, it is the person wielding it" argument doesn't work on me... I am a hunter, a motorcyclist, an equestrian, a working dog handler... I work every day in close quarters with animals and objects that have great potential to kill. One does their best to follow safety procedures and ensure nothing bad happens, but accidents and unforeseen circumstances are always a possibility. What one has to do is weigh the rewards versus the risks... and in the case of handling a T, there are ZERO rewards and MULTIPLE risks.