Chilean Flame

Karl.Hudson@hot

Arachnopeon
Hello, Im new to arachnid keeping & I recently aquired a juvinile Chilie Flame Tarantula and was hoping someone here might be able to tell me a bit about them or any sources of info that might help. :confused:

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Common names are really hard to go by. Do you know the scientific name, or can you post a picture? We'd be able to give you more specific info. Where did you get the T?

Cheers!
Soup

beardslykrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Grammastola sp. chillean flame. not too much experience with these but i would keep it the same way i would a rose hair

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It could also be Euathlus sp. "red", what does it look like?

Art

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not me

with all the recent importation of these i would say it is what he says.
a chilean flame grammostola sp.
there has been a ton impoted.but they can be kept the same as a rose hair.
real easy tarantula,and great looking as well.
post some pics.beautiful tarantula,
andy

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have seen the Euathlus sp. "chilean flame". I don't really know much about them other than they are small (almost dwarf) and they are really beautiful. I heard somewhere that they are opportunistic burrowers.

I wonder though if what you have is a the Euathlus sp. or the Grammastola species.

Guess you'll know when it grows up.

Ricki123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehe, Carl actually works with me in the pet store and what he purchased was a Euathlus sp. "Red" .

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Euathlus sp "red" is also know as Chilean Flame or Chile Flame. as far as i know they are really slow growers. nice coloration.

Karl.Hudson@hot

Arachnopeon
It is the Euathlus sp. "Red" (Cheers Ricky) I will post a pic as soon as I can, till then it is browny in colour with a vivid red patch of hairs just after the carapace on the abdomen. Gorgous lil spider, do they grow big? I have handled it with no problems and fed it twice since I got it. Any ideas on habitat, humidity etc??? Im currently keeping it on safe-peat with a bit of cork bark for decor. How often should I be spraying, Ive heard they are relativly dry terrestrial Ts is this right? Cheers for comments so far, keep em coming.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
If it is like rosie, only add water to the water dish and do not spray the tank.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Karl, congrats on the new T. I'd say read the care sheets for rosea, and keep your new kiddo in a similar set up.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it is like rosie, only add water to the water dish and do not spray the tank.
Unless you get one like mine(it buries its water dish), they just slightly moisten one spot in the tank weekly. I think they are actually more of a pet rock than roseas are, but this could just be my experience as I only have one of each.

Good luck,

Art

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
keep it in the same conditions as a chilean rose with slightly higher humidity. theyr really nice but only grow to around 10cm.... but still nice and usually quite docile