Cherry Shrimp With Goldfish?

MES

Arachnosquire
Hello!
I am thinking about adding a few cherry shrimp in with my comet goldfish. I realize they will most likely be eaten, but I'm wondering, if they aren't eaten, will they do alright in a cold-water tank? Also, do they provide any help with algae control?
Thanks!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Snails do a better job controlling algae. Regarding temps, it really depends on what you mean by cold water. They’ll likely be ok unless it dips below 70F.

MES

Arachnosquire
Snails do a better job controlling algae. Regarding temps, it really depends on what you mean by cold water. They’ll likely be ok unless it dips below 70F.
Thanks!
It does usually get below 70°, about 64°-68° most of the time. Is there anything that I could add that would control algae and be okay in those temps?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Thanks!
It does usually get below 70°, about 64°-68° most of the time. Is there anything that I could add that would control algae and be okay in those temps?
Yup. Snails work. I believe nerite snails can take colder water, but you might wanna research a bit more on that. Or you could check your nitrate and phosphate levels. Those are nutrients that increase algae growth.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
It sounds a little cooler than nerites really like. Shrimp and otos will be eaten by the goldfish (and also would prefer it to be at least 68F / 20C). The best way to control algae is just to keep the light hours a bit shorter, don't overfeed, and keep up with your water changes.

I'd note that newer tanks often experience a series of algae blooms no matter what you do. It can take six months to a year for the tank to really settle down. It'll still have algae at that point, but a slow stable growth of it. This is a lot easier to remove by hand if needed.

There's also the option of learning to love a bit of algae. It's part of a natural tank and you'll never completely stop it growing. I've gone entirely that way, as I keep otos, so I keep the light hours long to encourage algae for them to eat. Even the sorts they don't eat provide a surface for other algae and microorganisms to grow.