check this out....SpiderX

Lucretia

Arachnopeon
It's sad when people make money with fear.

You've got a much much higher chance of getting in a car crash but I don't see people abandoning their cars.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wanna hear what Code Monkey says about it, that should be interesting.:D

later

dale

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, not everyone likes spiders and dont want them indoors. The site do say "Usually a bite will look like an ant bite and not be particularly painful." etc. even if you need to scroll down.
I dont find it worse then a mousetrap.

/Lelle

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
I dont find it worse then a mousetrap
Mice are an important economic pest. They cause structural damage, damage to belongings, and spoilage of food through gnawing into containers along with subsequent soiling of foodstuffs. Additionally, prolonged infestations result in difficult to remove odors because of the accumulation of mouse urine in their harborage area.

Spiders, um, kill pest insects and leave easily removed webs in corners.

Functionally, they both just kill unwanted invaders but also serve completely opposite purposes - one is a product for which there is a genuine need, the other is selling you something that doesn't work to begin with, and what little it does is not only not needed but also not in your best interests.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderFood
I wanna hear what Code Monkey says about it, that should be interesting.:D
Their active ingredient, dimazinol 7, is as best I can tell 100% fake - it's not in the literature anywhere. All they are doing is selling you a sticky trap at a huge markup with some sort of additive they *claim* attracts spiders. I do not know of any evidence for a single chemical that would work on so many species of spiders. Even if such an attractant existed at all, all it would be attracting is wandering males which are generally not a threat. It's the larger females that cause whatever problems there are and they, unless the trap just happens to capture one accidentally while it moves to another completely out of the way location, are sedentary in their webs. The whole notion of the device is based upon ignorance: that the "dangerous" spiders are active predators out to get you.

Sticky traps do have their place for legitimate *monitoring* in cases of brown recluse infestations as they do actually move about a decent amount as well as reach high numbers in condusive conditions. However, the traps are merely indicative of population, not a control measure by any stretch. Control is achieved through control of humidity, exclusion, silica dusts, and micro-encapsulated pesticides.

It's a junk product aimed at the ignorance of the public.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's kind of like the "Snake Away" products (mostly granulated sulfer) they sell at hardware stores. Utterly useless; although sulfer does repel snakes (and almost everything else), a very large quantity would be needed to actually keep them away, and even then it would only work until it rains.

Wade

bbbmidsouth

Arachnopeon
Diamazinol 7

I am researching this company's website and found this thread about it. So dimazinol 7 doesn't exist? I have not found it on any search I have done so far.

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's the larger females that cause whatever problems there are and they, unless the trap just happens to capture one accidentally while it moves to another completely out of the way location, are sedentary in their webs.
I thought recluse spiders were active nocturnal hunters? From what I understand, they don't make much of a web, not one that would be able to capture passing prey anyway. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to learn about the critters. There's been a few recluse in my parents' house lately and they are only seen in the evening. Are these only males? When do the females eat? Thanks for the info!
-Nick

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought recluse spiders were active nocturnal hunters? From what I understand, they don't make much of a web, not one that would be able to capture passing prey anyway. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to learn about the critters. There's been a few recluse in my parents' house lately and they are only seen in the evening. Are these only males? When do the females eat? Thanks for the info!
-Nick
his second paragraph said that they would be functional for recluse spider in the case of infestation i think.. anyways. yeah I dont see why everyone is so freaked out about the spiders.. they arent doing anything unless you like to go shoving youre hands in webs.. and even then. hobo spiders will run down their funnel and hide. a widow will likely do the same (some fall and play dead) I just dont think it is something to be that afraid of. if anything just be aware of what is in your area and use caution if you are gonna go pokin about anywhere in the house they may be. cause even if the sticky trap caught something (like a wandering male) there is most likely a fat egg sac just waiting to release hundreds more into your house.

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When are people gonna realise how important spiders are?
I know many who hate flies flying round their kitchen, yet without the inherant spiders that live with us there'd be a lot more flies!
And no mattter how good the product is I doubt you'd get rid of even half the spiders tyat share our homes!
Mind you its easy for me to rant on as we dont have venomous spiders in the UK, unles you count Tegenaria gigantea, which is supposed to deliver a nasty bite-I believe thats the Hobo spider in the US?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tegenaria agrestis is the hobo spider.. Tegenaria duellica (gigantea) is harmless. we have both.. so do you. (they are from there) and yes I agree spiders are ontop of the food chain.. they are VERY important to maintain balance. just like all predators.

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I stand corrected! I should know better, i have T duellica in a vertical tank(candy jar)

edventurous77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
woah woah woah. mice are large economic pests they damage food containers blah blah blah. humans are the biggest pests in the world we destroy huge area of rainforest and have caused so much damage that raises in temeperature in the poles could cause fatal consiquences to the world within 5o yrs. now which is the worst pest us who are wasting away the world and its resources or mice that eat a bit of grain:?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
now that is a whole other topic right there. Mice are a pest. they are a feed source on the food chain.. Humans are the ONLY thing on the planet that could be removed without having an effect on the ecosystem. everything else is part of the balance of nature.. and although we have the power to ensure that the balance is kept. we choose to destroy it for our personal gain and entertainment. but this has nothing to do with spider traps.:D

Last edited:

cb45

Arachnopeon
The trap would be useless. I live in an area that is over run with recluces. My husband has been bitten twice in 2 weeks before, and let me tell you that the medicine for the bites is not cheap. We love tarantulas and other arachnids, but I don't care for brown recluses (other than catch them to trade them:).

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Our old home (ca. 1850's) was infested with brown recluses, they were everywhere. For being a spider lover, they are one species I, and the world, could truly live without I'm pretty sure. ;)

I bought some of those traps, not from that company, though. They did work, and mostly on recluses...and not just males, either. I don't have any of the traps at our new home as I haven't seen one since we moved, but I don't remember what they listed as the "active ingredient", but I do remember them saying it was an attractant. I used them in the closets and under shorter/darker pieces of furniture along walls.

I think people are wise to have a certain amount of fear from recluses, I've personally seen the damage their bites can do. What I despise is the common ignorant person lumping ALL spiders into the recluse boat and systematically killing all spiders they come in contact with. That is the unfortunate side.

Me personally, I transport all spiders I find in my home outdoors. Recluses fall in the category of CBS, Creepy Brown Spiders. If its a recluse or looks like it might be a recluse, I smoosh it, no questions asked. All it took was for me was:

- Sitting at my computer chair and have 2 of them run across my lap as I leaned back, and upon flipping my recliner over to find 4 more underneath...

OR

- To put on a pair of pants that I had folded in a laundry basket and to see one tumble out of the leg. No thank you... :eek:

OR

- Grabbing a bath towel off of a towel bar after getting out of the shower and rubbing down and finding one in the cuff of the towel not too pleased with being used as a drying agent...