Chealean Rose Problem

Carmen

Arachnopeon
Please help me with a problem with my Rose hair!

"Fuzzy" molted On Jan. 15th. When I woke up he had built a web and was on his back. By that evening he was back up and had shed. All seemed well until I noticed a growth attached to his "butt" that was not there before the molt. He has eaten one cricket since then but often stands high on his legs and scratches that growh.

He is in an all glass tank and is fed gut loaded crickets. The humidity was around 80 during and just before the molt.

He is my favorite spider and I want to help him but don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it's a little difficult to tell what that is from the picture. is it a piece of the excuvium that didn't come off (like the blondi in this thread)? If so then your spider will probably be fine, but runs the risk of having a problem in the same area next time it molts.

IMO, 80% humidity is too high for a rosie. I would just keep it dry and provide a water dish. It's not impossible that the problem was caused by too much humidity.

Good luck with your rosie!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can take a small paintbrush, dip it in water, and "brush" off the skin that's stuck. It happens sometimes.

Good luck! :)

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That patch of whatever it is seems to be causing the spider some itching perhaps? Maybe its just trying to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling. I wonder is some warm water (skin temp) applied with a brush might loosen it? Hope the rosie makes it through this. :cool:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That happened to my N.carapoensis and I let nature do it's thing. Most of it wore off and it was 100% gone after it's next molt. I wouldn't worry about it, or you can try get it off - either way it shouldn't hurt your T.

Mark

Carmen

Arachnopeon
Thank you all

1-29-06. Just wanted to thank all of you for your help. I took your advice and got screen top yesterday. The area that I mentioned fell off last night and "Fuzzy" ate a crickert AND SEEMS MUCH MORE ACTIVE. The humidty level has dropped down to desert. THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Make sure your screen top is NOT WOVEN. The small claws on the bottom of the T's feet can get stuck in it. I've had one of my T's hanging by one leg from one before.

Mark