Chaco sling is dying...sad and frustrated.

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Well the little Chaco sling with the DKS symptoms is dying/dead despite looking like it was gonna pull through.
It rallied and was looking really good, but I just couldn't get it to eat.

Pretty bummed out.

This is the third...wait no...sixth? spider that I've bought from a certain vendor that I've had problems with. Not amused with this.
Either the spider isn't packed properly, or 'well it looks like crap but it's due to molt....' but never does or it won't eat or...
*grumbles*

SarahBRei

Arachnopeon
Which vendor? In Canada I assume you're pretty limited? I bought an LP from Tarantulas Canada who is beautiful and a B. Albopalosum from Arachnopilliacs with no issues

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Oh no Amanda and Martin are amazing, I've never had problems with any of the Tarantula Canada stuff. In terms of the guy who runs Arachnophiliacs his spiders have been OK but I have other concerns so I don't give him my business anymore. I feel like I'm not supposed to name names but argh...just not impressed. To be fair, I cannot prove that this vendor is responsible for what happened but given my past experiences with them as well as some other things that came to light when I began looking into it... I'll no longer be doing business with them.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Is it in a death curl -- or looking dehydrated? Just not moving or moving spastically still? I always like to be hopeful -- hope your fellow pulls through.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Must've head a lot of forgiveness to go back 5 times more after the first trouble. Sorry to hear of the impending loss (although fingers crossed for the better outcome), if nothing else better to lose a sling than an adult your attached to.

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Ellenantula----originally there was spastic movement, fluctuating leg position (sometimes death curled, sometimes normal position) but only minor unresponsiveness.
As of late---no responsiveness, curled legs and no movement at all. Not even a reflex.
I think the little sling is beginning to smell...so we all know what that means unfortunately.

TsunamiSpike---I tend to buy in groups if that makes any sense. So it was 2 spiders at a time type of thing. The original spiders finally pulled through...so I made the stupid error of forgiving and going back---and now this. The problem of course is that tarantula vendors and the stock are pretty limited here, so it's pretty much this person, TarantulaCanada and Arachnophiliacs. Guess I've learned my lesson and will be staying with TarantulaCanada from now on.
Like I said---it's not that I can directly link the vendor to this, but between past experiences (slings not packed properly, damaged/missing legs, improper housing ie why the hell do you have 1/4 inch slings in a deli-cup? etc) it just makes me wonder and while I'm not saying I've never lost a sling (I have) the fact that the rest of my collection is fine and that it's a g. pulchripes and not say an avic sling makes me question. When I've lost slings, regardless of vendor it's been down to a notable error on my part or a species that can be finicky.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I am so sorry. :( It doesn't sound hopeful at all now. Such a shame, just such a waste. :(

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I feel like I'm not supposed to name names but argh...just not impressed.
Honestly I think it's responsible to name names if you've had multiple bad experiences. Saves people the heart/head ache of having to deal with dying/dead tarantulas. I think there's actually a review section for this very purpose :).

And yeah Amanda and Martin are awesome :D.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your misfortune. I understand your hesitation to name names in this litigation happy society. I've purchased about 15 tarantulas from Bruce Carr of Arachnophiliacs and am happy with all of them. Haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Tarantula Canada yet but am looking forward to the spring to do so, or if anyone in lower BC wants to do a group buy even better ;-) Cheers Canadian spider lovers!