Chaco identity crisis

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the substrate moist? Mine used to do that before I realized he didnt like moist soil. Many will suggest not giving it the height to climb that far for fear of a fall. It may be getting ready to molt and isnt happy with the hides it has or, again, the substrate. If you could tell us what the cage conditions are like we could help more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
How much substrate is in there? That's a vertically oriented enclosure that seems to have way more height than width. I'd say it's less an identity crisis and more the spider making due.

cold blood

Staff member
How much substrate is in there? That's a vertically oriented enclosure that seems to have way more height than width. I'd say it's less an identity crisis and more the spider making due.
+1 It sure seems like an arboreal enclosure. Chaco needs more ground space, and almost no vertical space. As mentioned, that vertical space can be dangerous. The species love to burrow and move earth around, but need room to do it. When I got mine a while back, it took a while to get comfortable (maybe a week), before it did, it climbed a lot. Once it became comfortable it started its own construction business and now spends more time below the original ground level.

Hard to tell from a pic, but how big (DLS) is it exactly?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That T needs to be in a terrestrial oriented container- that's a container suited for arboreals.

As for climbing around- terrestrials do it more than most people think/expect. It isn't always a substrate issue either. I had an adult female Chilean Copper for many years and in a KK - then one day it went vertical for about a year- then came back down one day no changes to its environment or mine at all.

That looks like 1" vent and setup from Jamie's Tarantulas.

DLS maybe 1.5-1.75" is my guess

Solidus106

Arachnopeon
Yea it is the terrestrial sling setup up from Jamies .. He's just about outgrown it, I'm about to purchase the juvenile set. I only mist slightly 2 times a week and he's grown steadily since November of last year when I got him. I know this post was made light heartedly but trust me, when I saw him climb the top, I panicked .. I know all about the possibility of him falling and what could potentially happen. He's about a little over an inch now and I haven't changed his living conditions at all. He was always burrowed and bulldozed his way around the enclosure. Now he's just very active and what looks like webbing the top.