Chaco Golden knee not eating after molt 3 weeks ago

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
I do not know the sex yet; as he/she is only 7cm, but Isabelle molted 3 weeks ago and has not eaten.. I do know that they grow slowly and have taken it into consideration. Yesterday Isabelle was hovering over her water bowl for half of the day so I increased the humidity by spraying into her enclosure. She has been curling up in the corner - not a death curl. But she's still webbing at night as usual, should I be concerned yet, as her abdomen seems fine (it is not hollow or indented, just small and a bit almond shaped). Thanks in advance!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They are from drier regions. Humidity could be causing the issue or may make it worse. If it has open source to water it should be fine but keep enclosure relatively dry.

How long after moult did you first try to feed it?

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
I tried to feed her a week after her molt, she usually climbs up the enclosure walls when I mist if that is anything weird? I only mist twice a week and do not make the peat damp, just thought if she was hovering over her water she wanted more humidity.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah, she climbs up on the walls when you mist because she doesn't want to touch the wet substrate. G. pulchripes are from arid regions and don't benefit from extra moisture in their enclosures. Just a water dish is fine. Be patient, she'll eat when she's ready. She might have an issue with her sucking stomach, but I wouldn't jump to that just yet. Even if that is the case, I've heard of tarantulas with that issue making it to their next molt and the issue resolving itself.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If her abdomen is a good size I wouldn't worry. Sounds like my male juvenile G. pulchripes. He didn't eat until two months after his last molt. Granted his abdomen was quite large, even after the molt.

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
Yeah, she climbs up on the walls when you mist because she doesn't want to touch the wet substrate. G. pulchripes are from arid regions and don't benefit from extra moisture in their enclosures. Just a water dish is fine. Be patient, she'll eat when she's ready. She might have an issue with her sucking stomach, but I wouldn't jump to that just yet. Even if that is the case, I've heard of tarantulas with that issue making it to their next molt and the issue resolving itself.
I have no idea what "sucking stomach" is..

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
If her abdomen is a good size I wouldn't worry. Sounds like my male juvenile G. pulchripes. He didn't eat until two months after his last molt. Granted his abdomen was quite large, even after the molt.
Thank you, I'll just watch her abdomen until she eats :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's how they eat. They don't have a mouth per se, they have an external orifice that they use to suck the liquefied prey.
They have a mouth, they just don't have 'teeth' or a tongue or chew the way most animals do.

The sucking stomach allows them to eat. It's pretty much in the name-- it's an organ that provides suction to get their food from the outside of their body to the inside of their body. You would never be able to see if there was a problem with it, OP, because it is an internal organ. Signs of a defunct sucking stomach is a tarantula who grabs prey, kills it, holds onto it, and doesn't get any fatter.

It's somewhat like if you no longer had control of the muscles in your throat so you couldn't swallow.

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
They have a mouth, they just don't have 'teeth' or a tongue or chew the way most animals do.

The sucking stomach allows them to eat. It's pretty much in the name-- it's an organ that provides suction to get their food from the outside of their body to the inside of their body. You would never be able to see if there was a problem with it, OP, because it is an internal organ. Signs of a defunct sucking stomach is a tarantula who grabs prey, kills it, holds onto it, and doesn't get any fatter.

It's somewhat like if you no longer had control of the muscles in your throat so you couldn't swallow.
So they would be born with this? Or this happens if their molt doesn't go well?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So they would be born with this? Or this happens if their molt doesn't go well?
A molt gone wrong. I mean I'm sure there have been slings born with a messed up sucking stomach that have either died or made it to the next molt, but as far as I know it's based on a molt. They can get it back after the next molt and be just fine for the rest of their lives, or it could happen again. It's just a thing that happens sometimes.

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
A molt gone wrong. I mean I'm sure there have been slings born with a messed up sucking stomach that have either died or made it to the next molt, but as far as I know it's based on a molt. They can get it back after the next molt and be just fine for the rest of their lives, or it could happen again. It's just a thing that happens sometimes.
So if that is the case, how would i help the spider? I can't? Because even if I make it into a paste, they can't suck up the food?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So if that is the case, how would i help the spider? I can't? Because even if I make it into a paste, they can't suck up the food?
If that is the case, then yes. I wouldn't stop trying to feed them, however. Perhaps they're just being a fuss bucket. Just keep dropping in pre killed food every few days. Remember to remove it after 24 hours, or else it will mold and attract pests.

ashleigh

Arachnopeon
If that is the case, then yes. I wouldn't stop trying to feed them, however. Perhaps they're just being a fuss bucket. Just keep dropping in pre killed food every few days. Remember to remove it after 24 hours, or else it will mold and attract pests.
She is large, and we feed her live cockroaches - which she ate before her molt. So I am thinking she's just not hungry, and perfectly fine because she's been webbing her home every night and drinking water normally.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
She is large, and we feed her live cockroaches - which she ate before her molt. So I am thinking she's just not hungry, and perfectly fine because she's been webbing her home every night and drinking water normally.
Well if she's fat and does end up having a sucking stomach issue, I wouldn't worry. She won't starve before her next molt.

cold blood

Staff member
While possible, it isn't too likely, I would move forward and only consider this if the t dies.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
View attachment 259626 this is the size of her abdomen
Yeah, she's a fatty. Like @cold blood said, it's not that common, but I have seen it two or three times on the boards in the past few months so it does happen. More than likely, she's just had her fill and isn't interested. If she continues not to eat, or exhibits the behavior of holding onto food without the food getting smaller or her abdomen getting bigger, then I would say that she's got a sucking stomach issue. For now just treat her like normal, and I'm sure everything will be fine.