Ceratogyrus vs. Poecilotheria Species

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Alright, I have a debacle of sorts. I'm am planning an order very soon, and I'm not sure which species to get. I more or less specialize in African Baboons so you would figure I'd jump for the C. marshalli. However, here's the issue...
I don't have any Pokies and I love them! I had a 0.75" P. pederseni that passed due to a molting issue, and I REALLY want another Pokie! So I'm going to be ordering a 2.5" P. regalis. That's for sure! But now (due to the limit of how many T's I can bring in), I need to decide do I get another Pokie or another Horned Baboon?

In short here are my 2 questions: (Please keep in mind this is between a 0.5" C. marshalli and a 1.5" P. ornata).
1) I am already going to be ordering a 2.5" P. regalis. How different is an ornata compared to a regalis? Attitude, Speed, Size, ect.
2) I already have a 3" C. darlingi, but I don't have a C. marshalli. I would like to (eventually) get all the Baboons in the hobby, however, is another Horned Baboon (0.5" for that matter) really worth getting over another Pokie (1.5")? I know I can watch it "grow up" which is a big plus. But over another Pokie?

And on a personal side note question - 1 H. mac's or 2? They're only .5"

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get the C marshelli, P ornata are easier to find.

Totally get the P ornata later though, they have very striking colors.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
Get the C marshelli, P ornata are easier to find.

Totally get the P ornata later though, they have very striking colors.
I agree. Get the marshalli. I love mine!

Oh and snag up 2 H. macs!:D
I presume you're ordering from P. B. ?

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I agree. Get the marshalli. I love mine!

Oh and snag up 2 H. macs!:D
I presume you're ordering from P. B. ?
That I am sir. Which brings up another question. What does everyone know about the N.chromatus? I just called and asked about getting something else (like an OW) as a freebie, but this is all that's offered. :(

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
C. marshalli is on my most wanted list. I'm waiting until I can find some c.b. from Swifty or a reputable hobbyist. They really have seemed to be very hard to find as of late and ornatas seem to be available out the wazoo.

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
C. marshalli is on my most wanted list. I'm waiting until I can find some c.b. from Swifty or a reputable hobbyist. They really have seemed to be very hard to find as of late and ornatas seem to be available out the wazoo.
You should really check out my dealer (P.B.) then. I'm sorry I can't give more. I don't think I'm allowed to post names here. IM me if you need help. Anyway, he has 0.5" slings for a VERY fair price!!!

Also on a final note, I think I might be able to pull both the marshalli and ornata! So here's how my order stands as of now:

1 Ceratogyrus marshalli (0.5"-0.75")
1 (maybe 2) Heteroscroda maculata (0.75"-1")
1 Poecilotheria ornata (1.5"+)
1 Poecilotheria regalis (2.5"-3")
1 Stromatopelma calceatum (0.75"-1")

Any thoughts or advice on my list?

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
Thats almost Identicle to my first order from him!
I'd still suggest getting 2 macs as they are so cheap. you wouldn't want to end up with a male. :(

Thats a fun group of Ts you have there.

Peace

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Your suggestion conflicts with my criteria.
You lost me for a moment. Please elaborate if you will?

Alright since this thread is still alive for the moment, I will post my order in full for everyone to :drool: over. I will be placing this order Wednesday or there a bouts. This order has been revised many times over the past day or so, but I finally have it figured out! So without further delay, let's take a look at my order:

1 Avicularia versicolor (0.5"-0.75")
1 Ceratogyrus marshalli (0.5"-0.75")
2 Heteroscroda maculata (0.75"-1")
1 Nhandu chromatus (0.5")
1 Poecilotheria ornata (1.5"+)
1 Poecilotheria pederseni (1"-1.5")
1 Poecilotheria regalis (2.5"-3")
1 Stromatopelma calceatum (0.75"-1")

Please leave thought, suggestions, or whatever else you like for me. Thanks.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You lost me for a moment. Please elaborate if you will?
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Swifty. If I'm going to buy a tarantula from a dealer, he gets my business. The other option is that I buy a tarantula from a hobbyist. These are the people who like me, just raise tarantulas for their own personal pleasure, but that as part of the hobby, may breed their tarantulas and therefore have a surplus of slings that they sell back into the hobby. It is however not their primary means of income. I would only consider someone who has 1 - a good track record of positive reviews and 2 - an active member of this forum.

Your suggestion did not fit into either criteria that I listed. Keep in mind, that everyone has their own criteria for everything they do and this criteria is my own. Please don't take it as an attempt to persuade anyone into taking my point of view.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

p.s. There are a few hobbyists that are quite active on the site and that may also be considered dealers that I would also consider buying from, such as the nice folks over at Netbug.

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
the ornatas definitely have attitude ;) my c darlingi is a mature male and only about 3 inches.. ornatas can grow to 8+. IMO i like my ornata more han my darlingi, because it is out alot and is alot larger. However the darlingi is different from marshalli so idk about the size. Both are great eaters though :}

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Swifty. If I'm going to buy a tarantula from a dealer, he gets my business. The other option is that I buy a tarantula from a hobbyist. These are the people who like me, just raise tarantulas for their own personal pleasure, but that as part of the hobby, may breed their tarantulas and therefore have a surplus of slings that they sell back into the hobby. It is however not their primary means of income. I would only consider someone who has 1 - a good track record of positive reviews and 2 - an active member of this forum.

Your suggestion did not fit into either criteria that I listed. Keep in mind, that everyone has their own criteria for everything they do and this criteria is my own. Please don't take it as an attempt to persuade anyone into taking my point of view.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

p.s. There are a few hobbyists that are quite active on the site and that may also be considered dealers that I would also consider buying from, such as the nice folks over at Netbug.
A+! Very well said sir! I understand you 100%. I've dealt with pretty much every online dealer (never bought through the forum yet), and I won't mention any names whatsoever, but I will say there are a couple in which I won't go to. And a couple in which I will. Swift fits into the will category! My order was a day late due to them getting held up on the plane in Jackson, MS (completely no one's fault), and Kelly refunded my shipping 100%! I didn't even mention, or ask for it! So I understand completely and I would never push a dealer onto someone. Just stating personal preference and experiences. {D