Ceratogyrus Q's

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been looking at these guys a lot recently, and reading as much as I can find about them. I'm seriously thinking about adding one of these T's to my collection at some point in the future. The only OW T that's seriously attracted my attention.

Would one of these T's be a good starter OW species? Anybody care to share their experiences with these T's?

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the link. :)

It mentioned the species I've been looking at the most, C. marshalli. Think I have a direction to go in now. :D

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was looking at those too. I have been thinking amount getting one. :D

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I've said many times before, the ceratos are great ts! My C. brachycephalus always comes out in the evening. She's feisty and fast, but it's mostly bluff. They're big webbers and burrowers.

Easy to care for, tough as nails.

I can't say enough good things about them, some of my favorite ts.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
galeogirl said:
As I've said many times before, the ceratos are great ts! My C. brachycephalus always comes out in the evening. She's feisty and fast, but it's mostly bluff. They're big webbers and burrowers.

Easy to care for, tough as nails.

I can't say enough good things about them, some of my favorite ts.
OOOO!~ U devil's advocate. :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are indeed awesome spiders. I have brachycephalus and marshalli. They like dry conditions and seem to be as tuff as P murinus. Very easy to keep. I would go for it ;)

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best part about them is they all have party hats! (I know some people insist they are horns, but they are wrong) How can you not love spiders that wear party hats?

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MilkmanWes said:
The best part about them is they all have party hats! (I know some people insist they are horns, but they are wrong) How can you not love spiders that wear party hats?
:embarrassed: there are exceptions, here's one. C.meridionalis

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That one must have partied so hard it fell off.

On a more serious note, do the horns ever present a molting problem?

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The more I read the more I like. {D

How quickly do these guys grow? How long does it take before the horn starts showing?

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cryptly said:
The more I read the more I like. {D

How quickly do these guys grow? How long does it take before the horn starts showing?
Ceratogyrus grow very quickly, a male can mature as quick as 1 year depending on temp and feeding, females will breed at around 2.5 to 3 inches, long before they are fully grown. the horn is usually visible at around 1 inch, less in brachycephalus and sanderi. A truely excellent addition to any hobby :)

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just recently got a Ceratogyrus from a local pet store. it was in a high stress situation. under light all the time w/ some sort of shell bedding. no hide. i could not tell how big it was as it was pressed into a corner with its legs pulled in to shade its back. i purchased it and made the seller pack a damp paper towel in with it. (i did this on my lunch hour) i kept it in a dark paper bag at work. it looked a lot more relaxed with its legs stretched by the time i got it home. enthusiastic eater. very fast. real pretty markings. you need one!

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
ahh yes they grow very very fast indeed i keep C brachycephalus it molted twice in december once on the 8th and then again on the 31st, it has also molted again already in late january and is now 1.25" here are some pics for comparison look at the container it is in for size comparison it has still not been moved the first pic is on dec 10 04 the next pic i took is from beginning of feb 05...and yes they are awsome T's.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, great pics! :clap:

Definatly gonna be adding one of these guys to my collection. Not sure if it's gonna be a C. marshalli or C. brachycephalus, probably end up just flipping a coin since I like them both equally. Then again, there's C.meridionalis, love the colors on that one, what a beauty. {D

I've got pleanty of time to decide. . .change my mind. . .change my mind again. . . :rolleyes:

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is my C.Bechuanicus I got about a week ago, it is about 2.5". I haven't messed with it much so I don't know if it is aggressive, I didn't get not threat display transferring it to it's new enclosure but that might be because it just molted and fangs might not have been Hard yet. I'm thinking about getting another ceratogyrus specie but not sure which one I want. So far mine is pretty active. I'm not sure If I would recommend one for a First OW species, because I have heard they can be just as aggressive as an Usambara, but any OW species you get is going to be Aggressive and more than likely Fast so go for it......... well worth it.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40176

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil said:
Ceratogyrus grow very quickly, a male can mature as quick as 1 year depending on temp and feeding, females will breed at around 2.5 to 3 inches, long before they are fully grown
Is that why they are pretty cheap? Are they hardy babies?

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome T, Gusto! I ordered a C. Bechuanicus just the other day. Nice to see I'm not the only one with Ceratogyrus fever lately.