Centruroides communal observations

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Yep I found a 5 gallon with a good locking lid. Gonna go with that for these hot little buggers. Thanks for the help. Btw this is a very interesting thread. Great info. Bravo
Yea thatl definitely work. I have a 55 gallon waiting for me to set up with my C. gracilis and all of their babies..im just waiting on some more males. But thanks glad you enjoyed it

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Yea thatl definitely work. I have a 55 gallon waiting for me to set up with my C. gracilis and all of their babies..im just waiting on some more males. But thanks glad you enjoyed it
Definitely post some pics when u have the 55 up and stocked

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Definitely post some pics when u have the 55 up and stocked
Will do i just have to plan out few more aspects in terms of logistics. Thats alot of space to heat so im leaning towards live plants that way transpiration will give off humidity and keep it from drying out. Just things of that nature

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
9B3D62D8-C0FC-4C4B-ACB3-E42086ADA08E.jpeg Sounds like an amazing project. Here’s what I ended up with for my sculpturatus when they arrive

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
View attachment 300067 Sounds like an amazing project. Here’s what I ended up with for my sculpturatus when they arrive
Thats a great set up for them, sadly youll probably never see them. They are extremely photosensitive and the better the enclosure the less you seem them unless youre a night owl and are up at 2-3 am. The only time i see mine now is when i have a gravid female being aggressive towards her cage mates or unless i catch them breeding.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Yeah fingers crossed I’ll see them out and about of an evening. I’m kinda used to not seeing my scorps but I just can’t not give them a good hide. I feel they will be stressed and more prone to not exhibiting natural behavior. Most I only see with a black light but they don’t seem to appreciate being spotlighted lol

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Yeah fingers crossed I’ll see them out and about of an evening. I’m kinda used to not seeing my scorps but I just can’t not give them a good hide. I feel they will be stressed and more prone to not exhibiting natural behavior. Most I only see with a black light but they don’t seem to appreciate being spotlighted. Do u ever see them late at night with house lights on or they hide with any light in your experience?

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Yeah fingers crossed I’ll see them out and about of an evening. I’m kinda used to not seeing my scorps but I just can’t not give them a good hide. I feel they will be stressed and more prone to not exhibiting natural behavior. Most I only see with a black light but they don’t seem to appreciate being spotlighted lol
Keeping them warm definitely helps keep them more active and gives you more of a chance to get a glimpse of them. Although i do see some interesting social behaviors at night if im up late. Idk if its a hierarchy going on or what but i do observe dominance behaviors and things of that nature.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I wonder how long it takes to get a colony of Arizona bark scorpions going. I have a few die offs, although several are doing well. I'm not sure how to induce them to give birth and how to raise the slings of the scorpions.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
I wonder how long it takes to get a colony of Arizona bark scorpions going. I have a few die offs, although several are doing well. I'm not sure how to induce them to give birth and how to raise the slings of the scorpions.
Well for me i started off with about 10-15 WC scorpions. Initially some of them died as not all of them were healthy due to them being WC. About 8 months after getting them i had babies. These scorpions seem to need heat as they from a hot climate. Not saying they cant survive witbout one but i noticed mine thriving once i added heat. This is just my personal experience and recommendation. The heat source i use a heat mat on one wall of the enclosure and they seem to love it. I give them ability to thermoregulate by putting barks and hides at different levels and distances from the heat mat. I use a smaller heat mat so the heat doesn't radiate extremely far out into the tank. Just enough for them to have a hot wall of the tank. The gravid scorpions sat on the bark near the heat all day only moving to get water and food.Then when she had the babies on her back i seperated her into her own container (gently of course) and i keep all the babies separately but communally. I feed them pre killed crickets pin heads and FF. Once they reach about half a inch i throw them in with the adults. I have a decent size colony filled with healthy adults and juvies. Theyre prolific breeders, ive even seen the scorpions with babies on their back mating. The age of the breeders does matter though i had an older girl have 2-3 broods in my care and the last one was like 4 babies and they all died. This is naturaljust due to old age of the mother she died soon after. The slings i keep a little differently than the adults i keep a quarter of their enclosure moist at all times just for a tad of humidity and water for them to drink off the glass. I also keep them at room temperature. I also gut load all of my feeders with repashy Bug burger as i have reptiles.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
And as far as inducing birth they have a pretty long gestation period especially at room temps, but if they are truly gravid and you have males. They'll breed on their own and the females will gestate and give birth to the babies on their own. Its just an extremely long waiting game. Hope this stuff helps feel free to ask anymore questions.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
And as far as inducing birth they have a pretty long gestation period especially at room temps, but if they are truly gravid and you have males. They'll breed on their own and the females will gestate and give birth to the babies on their own. Its just an extremely long waiting game. Hope this stuff helps feel free to ask anymore questions.
Do u keep any moisture in the substrate for the adults or is it totally dry?

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Do u keep any moisture in the substrate for the adults or is it totally dry?
Its totally dry except for the two areas near the water bowl. I only use bottle caps as they like to get all the way in it and soak and clean themselves. I see them do it almost every night i look in there. The babies do it too and i had one almost drown so since then for the babies no water bowls. However if there are alot of scorpions in pre molt ill give them a very light misting just to help them in case they molt and they normally drink off the surface when this is done.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Its totally dry except for the two areas near the water bowl. I only use bottle caps as they like to get all the way in it and soak and clean themselves. I see them do it almost every night i look in there. The babies do it too and i had one almost drown so since then for the babies no water bowls. However if there are alot of scorpions in pre molt ill give them a very light misting just to help them in case they molt and they normally drink off the surface when this is done.
How do u remove females with babies without the babies coming off of her?

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
How do u remove females with babies without the babies coming off of her?
Its quite simple just tedious. I gently prod her onto a plastic spoon and then just slide her into the new enclosure. I use a paint brush to prod her the key is to use her agression against her as she will turn to what ever direction the prodding is coming from and usually move in a predictable dirextio and and before she knows it shes on the spoon..ive used to method to seperate all of my mother scorpions from their communals no matter the species and havent lost one brood or mother doing this. I put the mothers and their new enclosures in a dark environment to let them settle bc they're usually pissed afterwards as expected

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Well got my 7 Arizona barks this morning. All transferred and at least 2 already took down crickets. Stoked!!