Centipede sizes

Tanaksaes

Arachnopeon
I’ve been keeping centipedes for a while now and I’m just curious as to which asian species tends to grow the largest and do the maximum attainable sizes differ from specific color morphs? I have heard of Scolopendra dehanni “black flames” being able to reach larger than the standard yellow legged morph. The Thai reds seem to reach similar size ranges as well.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Dehaani and spinosissima can all get very large. I’ve seen 10-11 inch dehaani, although these are likely outliers.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If this helps. In Thailand, Huaa Daeng, 'red head', S. Mutilans, are found supposedly up to 20 cm. I only seen them up to ~6+", 15-17 cm
Appropriate coloration. That red dot in the leaf mold announces 'Hot coming through. Move it or get tagged'.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
If this helps. In Thailand, Huaa Daeng, 'red head', S. Mutilans, are found supposedly up to 20 cm. I only seen them up to ~6+", 15-17 cm

That sounds about right. I think mutalins don’t normally get that large though. The size you see is about as big as they usually get.

The Snark

Old Timer
I've seen a pretty large one in So. Cal. Any idea which one that is? About 17-18 cm. Correction, I've seen 2. Double hand span long. Switzer canyon-Chaney Trail area, about 12 inches deep in sand-gravel-decomposed granite soil disturbed by erosion.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
I've seen a pretty large one in So. Cal. Any idea which one that is? About 17-18 cm. Correction, I've seen 2. Double hand span long. Switzer canyon-Chaney Trail area, about 12 inches deep in sand-gravel-decomposed granite soil disturbed by erosion.
Scolopendra aztecorum and polymorpha are the two native species in the area. I would guess the former as they get the largest. What did it look like?

The Snark

Old Timer
What did it look like?
Yellow. Just checked Polymorpha. You nailed it. They moved FAST. I remember chasing one all over the place trying to get a size estimate.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yellow. Just checked Polymorpha. You nailed it. They moved FAST. I remember chasing one all over the place trying to get a size estimate.
Yeah. I think Pedes in general are fast and uncooperative.

The Snark

Old Timer
Yeah. I think Pedes in general are fast and uncooperative.
Just conjecture. I think what we usually see of them is the fight-fright-flight mode. How they hunt in the dark in the detritus may be a completely different ballgame. Around here any visible crawlers are instant Myna meal. Am I good at tangents and thread derailing or what?

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Just conjecture. I think what we usually see of them is the fight-fright-flight mode. How they hunt in the dark in the detritus may be a completely different ballgame.

Usually when I see them they are calm. If I disturb them too much they will go into flight mode. I’ve never seen one wandering out in nature though.

The Snark

Old Timer
Usually when I see them they are calm. If I disturb them too much they will go into flight mode. I’ve never seen one wandering out in nature though.
Interesting. If seen here they are always in blitz mode. Environment dependent it seems. Saw one the other day crossing our porch. Nothing disturbing it but still full throttle.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Interesting. If seen here they are always in blitz mode. Environment dependent it seems. Saw one the other day crossing our porch. Nothing disturbing it but still full throttle.
Sounds like it could be out on the hunt or maybe searching for a mate.

The Snark

Old Timer
Sounds like it could be out on the hunt or maybe searching for a mate.
Mate. Never thought of that. It's major game on mating time for all sorts of critters around here right now. I'm stopping my bike ride every few hundred feet to get a road kill moved to the verge. :(

NYAN

Arachnoking
Mate. Never thought of that. It's major game on mating time for all sorts of critters around here right now. I'm stopping my bike ride every few hundred feet to get a road kill moved to the verge. :(
Damn. That sucks. There’s a bunch here also.