Centipede ID Plz

pimpin_posey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive had this one for bout a month. It lived with a 3 in. Wolf Spider with no problems from either. I saw both of them out roaming once it was cool. They bumped into each other once with no real reaction. She recently had a sac so i decided to move the pede for both safety. I decided to shoot a pic. I'm curious what kind this is. His name is Charlie by the way.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok ... wolf spider and centipede together ... you really think they will co-habit ? its just a question of time IMO

Plus, from these pic I doubt you will get an ID

and what are those little thing on your pede ?

This said, it looks a lot like my specimen ive here, it is also unidintified actually because we need pic of the back leg , from ventral view, what I could'nt do because I did'nt see my specimen for over 1 month lol ...

Last edited:

pimpin_posey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how do ya get such clear pics. i have a 4 mega pixle digi cam from SamSung. the white things are jus bits of soil i had just transfered it

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you get just a little movement, especially with digitals, while using no flash, well I always get blurry pics unless I'm using a stand. I always use a flash or ALLOT of light. And pedes don't like allot of light, so they try to hide when I use lights. So most of the time I use a flash. And I try to brace my hand or camera next to the inside of the container or wherever I can to minimize any movement. Maybe my camera just sucks but that's the way I have to do it. Most of my pics taken with artificial light are washed out with an orange color.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hemiscolopendra marginata

I think it might prove to be:

Hemiscolopendra marginata

Todd

pimpin_posey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i live in 29 palms by the way. its southern california for all those who dont know. it is right next to Joshua Tree National Park. i wennt hunting today and caught a big one bout 4-5 in. of the same kind. its bout 1/4 in. across as well fattest one if seen locally.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Scolopendra viridis

If found in CA, then it could be Scolopendra viridis.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
xenesthis said:
If found in CA, then it could be Scolopendra viridis.
according to Shelley viridis doesn't push that far west... BUT that part of CA would be like 100-200 miles from the edge and dear GODS i want viridis in CA!!!

you know, you might want to get in contact with Rowland Shelley if that does turn out to be a viridis :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
pimpin_posey said:
how do ya get such clear pics. i have a 4 mega pixle digi cam from SamSung. the white things are jus bits of soil i had just transfered it
take pics through a magnifying glass

it takes some work, but you can really get awesome pics

also, does your cam have a macro mode? it should be a little flower icon or button... if it does, engage that puppy!

and like gala said... brace your hand... i shake so dang bad i pretty much have to use a tripod or brace :)