Centipede Enclosure

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! She's beautiful! The moss in your tank looks great. Mine still hasn't burrowed yet. I wonder if my substrate is too hard. It's just potting soil. What kind of substrate did you use?

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
substrate

xenobug said:
Wow! She's beautiful! The moss in your tank looks great. Mine still hasn't burrowed yet. I wonder if my substrate is too hard. It's just potting soil. What kind of substrate did you use?
I used potting soil as well, but it has some sphagum moss and a little sand mixed in as well, and some of that "eco-earth" coconut stuff. I figure that all that will help the moss and the plants grow, as well as make the pede's tunnels more stable.

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought her from a seller in michigan named John Apple, he's really easy to deal with and very helpful. You should be able to find a thread on the sellers w/o websites portion of this site if you do a search.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dude that is one of the prettiest pedes I have seen, great colour! :)

@xenobug:

The Venus' Flytraps in your tank are a very cool touch, I forgot they grow in peat bogs, I guess they would grow well enough in peat moss.... Or would potting soil be better? You seem to know your plants, may I ask how easy the Venus are to grow? Would they be difficult to set up/maintain in a scorp or pede enclosure? :?

Last edited:

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They're actually begonias growing in there although I am going to get some venus fly traps and other bog plants to replace the begonias with. Venus fly traps are pretty easy to grow, but they need high humidity so as long as you have a bug that likes humidity you should be fine. I get my plants from a place called California Carnivores: http://www.californiacarnivores.com/
As long as your bug is too big to get "trapped" it should be ok. Just don't put any sticky plants in there like sundews.
Pedes seem to like to climb on the plants a lot so you should find ones that are pretty sturdy. Venus fly traps can be a bit delicate.
Here is a website with a list of non carnivorous bog plants you could try: http://www.backyardgardener.com/bog/index.html

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thing you have to be careful though with Venus Flytraps is if you want them to live for a long time, you have to hibernate them. They're a temperate plant and if not given a period of decreased temp., light and moisture they'll eventually just exhaust themselves and die. I've had one growing now for almost 21 years. Every winter it goes down in my basement, and every spring, summer and fall....it sits out on my deck and grubs on passing by bugs and soaks up the sun. :cool: Also you have to watch what water you use for them....you want to use RO or distilled or rain water for them. The minerals in regular tap water will eventually kill them. Hope this helps, I just love my VFT, it's like another pet!{D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a nice, thick centipede! Looks wider than most I've seen. Very nice setup.

BugBoyX said:
Thing you have to be careful though with Venus Flytraps is if you want them to live for a long time, you have to hibernate them. They're a temperate plant and if not given a period of decreased temp., light and moisture they'll eventually just exhaust themselves and die. I've had one growing now for almost 21 years. Every winter it goes down in my basement, and every spring, summer and fall....it sits out on my deck and grubs on passing by bugs and soaks up the sun. :cool: Also you have to watch what water you use for them....you want to use RO or distilled or rain water for them. The minerals in regular tap water will eventually kill them. Hope this helps, I just love my VFT, it's like another pet!{D
:eek: . 21 years! That's awesome! I think I've had mine 4 years now. I just keep them outside here in Tx. Have them in a big container that sits in a tub of water. They are blooming now. Haven't seen any seeds though. Wondering if they aren't fertile(?). Got most of them from Home Depot. Ha, 21 years, that's encouraging.

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
even more...

Lol, last night she came out and sat on the log with her jaws outstretched, I guess waiting for prey, so I had the prime opportunity for pix. The only downside I'm seeing to this setup is that it may be TOO naturalistic; I only see the pede when she wanders around hunting during the wee hours of the night. I guess thats a good thing, though since it probly makes her feel more at home :eek:

note: you can see she did a number on the moss while she was burrowing around in there :wall:

Attachments

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Man, that is a STELLAR-looking pede. That first pic is my new desktop. :D

Good to see the girl's doing well... :)

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maxident213 said:
Man, that is a STELLAR-looking pede. That first pic is my new desktop. :D

Good to see the girl's doing well... :)
Heh heh, thanks for the compliments :D So far so good, i will keep you guys informed. I hope to get a better camera soon to take some really good shots to share, if I can scrounge up the cash {D

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
:eek: . 21 years! That's awesome! I think I've had mine 4 years now. I just keep them outside here in Tx. Have them in a big container that sits in a tub of water. They are blooming now. Haven't seen any seeds though. Wondering if they aren't fertile(?). Got most of them from Home Depot. Ha, 21 years, that's encouraging.

Yeah mine just came from a local nursery. Mine are also getting spikes on them too....but I cut them off. I've heard they can have an exhausting affect on the plant. Mine tend to divide a lot as is, so every other year when I repot them, I usually end up with lots of offshoots. I think there are little clones of my flytrap all over the place now, with as many as I've give away!{D