Centipede Communal Question

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just sended specs about my Wood Drawer on top i be replacing my TV it measures 22in/16inHALF WIDTH/DEPTH to http://terra5designs.com/ Which ones should i best display and im not looking to just put one lousy animal in their im looking to put all of the same sp in!!! and if it would be wise to.

0.0.5 Scolopendra sp. "Tanzania Red Head Green Leg Centipede"
0.0.8 Scolopendra subspinipes de haani "Yellow-Legg"
0.0.2 Scolopendra subspinipes "Barbados"
0.0.1 Scolopendra subspinipes "Vanuatu"
0.0.3 Scolopendra viridis “Florida Blue Centipede”
0.0.7 Scolopendra cingulata "Egypt"
0.0.2 Scolopendra sp. "Tanzania Tiger Centipede"

Thanks

Robert

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
none of those are all that communal that i know of

for things that seem to reliably group communal, i think Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans is the only thing i know of for sure

Alipes grandideri you can get 1.1 for sure, maybe 1.2 but i don't think a big group would work

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
swatc1h said:
0.0.5 Scolopendra sp. "Tanzania Red Head Green Leg Centipede"
Are these from Chris over at Krazy 8's?

If they are I'm pretty sure in his description he said they seemed pretty tolerant to eachother.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
krazy 8's has all those? wow. caco, did you get my pm from yesterday:confused:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not all those.... Not too long ago he was selling some Scolopendra sp. "Red head green leg" or something like that and said they were pretty tolerant of each other when kept together.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh yes, i remember! the red head green leg or something. i also remember someone on here putting a few together, i myself am into the big pedes, not those lil 4 inchers. if i had about $150 id buy some "S. Heros castinceps" they are big, mean, and have a lot of legs:razz:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scorp_Lver said:
oh yes, i remember! the red head green leg or something. i also remember someone on here putting a few together, i myself am into the big pedes, not those lil 4 inchers. if i had about $150 id buy some "S. Heros castinceps" they are big, mean, and have a lot of legs:razz:
"If" you're talking about the idea of putting S. h. castaneiceps together, You might be mixing the sp up with S. s. mutilans mentioned earlier in the thread. When just looking at pics, the two look allot alike. I haven't had S. s. mutilans, but I don't think they get nearly as big as S. h. castaneiceps. S. h. castaneiceps don't tolerate anybody else. I've had many of these. If they are with something alive, they either eat it, or run away. I don't know, maybe I'm reading something unintended in your post. Maybe you just meant you want some S. h. heros. They DO ROCK! I like them anyway. I've done allot of Googling in the past and S. s. mutilans seems to be the most communal from what I've read on the net, but since I've never had them, I really don't know. Anybody on the AB keeping mutilans together right now? Seems like I remember a couple of posts from people about how keeping them together didn't work out. I like the idea though. Sounds pretty cool if it works.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks for correcting me:D im not sure...the "chinese red head" is what i mean...

do the S. heros get as big aand stocky as the subspinipes do? like, if they were both 6" would they BOTH be as wide or as big? i was quite surprised when i opened up the package the other day, and a tiny lil morsiatns (R.I.P., unkown death) was there. my subspinipes are about 1" thick or "wide" while the morsitans were abour 1/4"

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
"If" you're talking about the idea of putting S. h. castaneiceps together, You might be mixing the sp up with S. s. mutilans mentioned earlier in the thread. When just looking at pics, the two look allot alike. I haven't had S. s. mutilans, but I don't think they get nearly as big as S. h. castaneiceps. S. h. castaneiceps don't tolerate anybody else. I've had many of these. If they are with something alive, they either eat it, or run away. I don't know, maybe I'm reading something unintended in your post. Maybe you just meant you want some S. h. heros. They DO ROCK! I like them anyway. I've done allot of Googling in the past and S. s. mutilans seems to be the most communal from what I've read on the net, but since I've never had them, I really don't know. Anybody on the AB keeping mutilans together right now? Seems like I remember a couple of posts from people about how keeping them together didn't work out. I like the idea though. Sounds pretty cool if it works.
From pictures I've seen of S.s.mutilans and S.h.castaneiceps S.s.mutilans have yellowish reddish terminal legs and S.h.castaneiceps has black terminals with the tips being orange.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scorp_Lver said:
thanks for correcting me:D im not sure...the "chinese red head" is what i mean...

do the S. heros get as big aand stocky as the subspinipes do? like, if they were both 6" would they BOTH be as wide or as big? i was quite surprised when i opened up the package the other day, and a tiny lil morsiatns (R.I.P., unkown death) was there. my subspinipes are about 1" thick or "wide" while the morsitans were abour 1/4"
I've personally seen a S. h. castaneiceps that was 9 inches at a small zoo close to where I live. Someone here at a pet store said they had one in the store that was 10 inches. I need to see to believe though. I've been catching and keeping heros sp since the late 80's but only just bought my first exotics within the last year. I haven't had much to compare the native stuff to. I have one subspinipes from Malaysia right now. It's the first and only sub I've bought. I've got a dozen S. h. cast right now. ..definitely can reach an impressive size. Three of them are 7 to 8 inches. But most are babies. I'm sure it depends on the sub when it comes to massiveness. The Malaysia sub I have definitely has longer and more narrow tergites than the S. h. castaneiceps I have. Shaped more like a pencil than the S. h. cast.

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guys much appreciate your thoughts and yes i was the one with the PIX reguarding them Red-Head Green-leg i've keep them before i bought some new container in plastic 3drawer type without any problems and most of the time i digg for them at least 2-3 are together. As for 10XS. s. mutilans ill be getting, dam i could barely pay people hehe in about 3weeks+ i've seen steven S. s. mutilans communal tank man literally dozen or more housing them i could just picture it!!!

kerensky

Arachnopeon
From my observations so far, my two S. mutilans are still living happily together, and I'm not sure if there are any other communal centipedes out there.

However, my pedes do fight when it comes to food if the prey in question is too small to be shared among two of them . It came to a point when it got quite violent, so I separated them every feeding time from then onwards.