Ccan anyone explain what the hell is going on?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
**coughs and looks around nervously**

Hello. My name is Rochelle and I am a Tarantula addict, too.
Three years ago I was an arachnophobe...now I have over 50 tanks of them (some of them communal) and I'm doing T. RESCUE for the local vet hospital.....
I somehow got mixed up with the wrong crowd and then I hit rock bottom.....
I now also collect cockroaches and *embarrassed smile* have even acquired a really vicious centapede....
I don't know if there's a cure. I'm jones-ing for more as soon as I get a new one....:8o
It's been tough; but the folks here on the board are wonderful enablers - so we just take it day by day....

**sits down and drums fingers**

Welcome to the party.....:D

mekkababble

Arachnopeon
This is going to sound far more terrible than I mean it, but one of the best things about zeh spideys is that you can neglect them and not feel bad about it!

Hell, I haven't seen my N. Chromatus all week, so I checked on it by peeking into its burrow. Needless to say, my tweezers got a thorough slapping :}

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If my boyfriend didn't give me a cap, who knows how many inverts I'd have right now. Apparently I was accumulating them too fast (for him) 8 T's since July '06? That's probably nothing to you guys
He doesn't want me to turn into one of you freaks ;P

Although in my heart, I already have! {D
;)

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I haven't seen my N. Chromatus all week, so I checked on it by peeking into its burrow. Needless to say, my tweezers got a thorough slapping :}

I wonder what's with my N. chromatus, it's just as meek as my G. rosea sling, and it loves its little mini clay pot hide. :D

-Sarah

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife has put a cap on my T collection... at 4. She doesn't know about the other two I have AND one that I've already got money down on at the reptile center close by. I'm also shopping around for a Singapore Blue and a Venezuelan Sun Tiger and an Indian Ornamental.... LOL.

tarantula3898

Arachnopeon
6 weeks ago the word Tarantula meant "A Big hairy scary thing that the world was afraid of. Now after Joining this forum, and being the careful owner of a few species. I cant get enough of it!! Are T,S the new Heroin?? the same as the "staying in" is the new "going out"
I don't know if this counts, but I I'm a recovering Arachnoholic. Within 2 years I had purchased 12 T's(kept 9 alive) and had over a hundred true spider with dozens of regular and makeshift cages. Sadly my parents made me give almost the entire lot away when we moved. But I am in my own place now and am building back up.

brindle

Arachnopeon
I can tell this hobby is going to be a bad one from me to start into...

I get my first T on Monday, a Chaco.

My second T, which I will wait several months for *cough*, will likely be an A. Versicolor.

Though, since behavior interests me, I may have to throw one old world in as well...

Three's my cap. Though I said that about betta fish, and I now have nine of those.{D

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can tell this hobby is going to be a bad one from me to start into...

I get my first T on Monday, a Chaco.

My second T, which I will wait several months for *cough*, will likely be an A. Versicolor.

Though, since behavior interests me, I may have to throw one old world in as well...

Three's my cap. Though I said that about betta fish, and I now have nine of those.{D

Definitely check around for that second tarantula - pet stores might have an A. versicolor or they can get one, call around and see if they can quote you a price. Although some places are over-priced, sometimes they don't know what their tarantulas are really worth. I went into a pet store one day for crickets and I got a 3"-4" juvenile female A. versicolor for around $20 ;) The deals are out there!

-Sarah

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My hubby HAD a cap for me too, 10 I think it was. I now have more than 50, a year and 1/2 later. Either he accepts the spiders or it's divorce. :D

brindle

Arachnopeon
Definitely check around for that second tarantula - pet stores might have an A. versicolor or they can get one, call around and see if they can quote you a price. Although some places are over-priced, sometimes they don't know what their tarantulas are really worth. I went into a pet store one day for crickets and I got a 3"-4" juvenile female A. versicolor for around $20 ;) The deals are out there!

-Sarah
That is a good deal. :)

I hope I can stumble across something like that...I know I will be looking around that's for sure. And I'll have to keep reminding myself about that three tarantula cap I've put on myself.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I hope I can stumble across something like that...I know I will be looking around that's for sure. And I'll have to keep reminding myself about that three tarantula cap I've put on myself.
Haha, have fun with that one..:rolleyes: {D

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
6 weeks ago the word Tarantula meant "A Big hairy scary thing that the world was afraid of. Now after Joining this forum, and being the careful owner of a few species. I cant get enough of it!! Are T,S the new Heroin?? the same as the "staying in" is the new "going out"
Hapolopus
Ephebopus
Reversopelma
Ornithoctonus
Iridopelma
Nhandu

Come on just try one, everyone here is doing it{D .

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like those potato chips, you can't have just one!

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Oh, trust me, you will :) Even though good deals are hard to come by (and with how many good deals I've actually come across, I thought I was dreaming!), just keep an eye out and keep checking those price lists, whether they're from an internet dealer or from a pet store. Chances are your pet stores will be higher in price, but if you look around online and find out what a certain species of tarantula is selling for, you might be able to get a super deal. That same pet store I got that A. versicolor from? They now have an A. avicularia for about the same price {D

-Sarah

P.S. ~ Oh, forget the three tarantula cap! ;) :D I've told myself time and time again, "Okay, I'm going to stop now. I have enough..." Well, that hasn't worked yet. I think I'll stop when the only space I have in my room is just big enough to throw down a cot in.

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P.S. ~ Oh, forget the three tarantula cap! ;) :D I've told myself time and time again, "Okay, I'm going to stop now. I have enough..." Well, that hasn't worked yet. I think I'll stop when the only space I have in my room is just big enough to throw down a cot in.
I can totally relate. I was at Ikea yesterday with my roommate to look for a coffee table, and I saw this great shelving setup that I could put my Ts on. My roommate literally had to drag me away to keep me from buying it. But now I've got it into my head that the top shelf of my bookcase just isn't going to be enough room...

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
You can find a lot of good deals on here too. Especially from the little guys just breeding a couple species.. I can buy about 7 T's on here for the price of one of my pet shop T's.. I paid $70 for a 1" B smithi sling locally. Here, you could buy 7 of em for that price and probably get a freebie. I just bought some H. maculata at $4 a piece. Plus, I haven't had my slings or spiders purchased online turn out to be anything but what they were supposed to be. I bought a L parahybana locally that turned out to be a Nhandu Chromatus. Sure, got the better end of the deal with that one, but, what if my B smithi had turned out to be a Nhandu Chromatus for $70? I probably would've been really disappointed.
Only redeeming part of that is that the B smithi turned out to be a girl.
I also had 3 pet store T's turn out to be mature males. 2 of which are already dead, though, my g. rosea is doing just fine even though he's been matured over 2 years now.

PaulT

Arachnopeon
Hapolopus
Ephebopus
Reversopelma
Ornithoctonus
Iridopelma
Nhandu

Come on just try one, everyone here is doing it .

Nice work Dom. I Truly believe T,s are just as addictive!!!!

Chilobrachys
Orpnaecus
Cyrtopholis
Avicularia
Iridopelma
Nhandu
Ephebopus

Last edited:

oOINOVAIOo

Arachnopeon
A Petco by Kupo969's house offered me a H.Lividum 3'' juvi unsexed for 80$. Good deal or no?

I seriously wouldn't mind having another one besides my H.Lividum sling. I'm just curious is the price was a good deal or not. :p

AaronT

Arachnopeon
Hapolopus
Ephebopus
Reversopelma
Ornithoctonus
Iridopelma
Nhandu

Come on just try one, everyone here is doing it .

Nice work Dom. I Truly believe T,s are just as addictive!!!!

Chilobrachys
Orpnaecus
Cyrtopholis
Avicularia
Iridopelma
Nhandu
Ephebopus
Nice posts guys... Effort noted. I just hope the true addiction is indeed T's and not drugs, tho in sure T's are a drug;)