Cats and pain...

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...thats right pain and fair amounts of it. I have now learned what it is like to give a cat a flea bath and for those who have not tried it is not fun. I would rank it right about the same as getting a tooth pulled. They are flexible and man do those claws hurt when they sink into your arm. You can all have a nice chuckle at my expense.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try trying to do a vet procedure on a cat that doesn't wanna be there. I'd rather bathe every cat in the world than try and put an IV drip into a p!ssed off cat ever again!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Next time trim the cats claws. I give my cats baths from the time they are young, they still don't like it but at least they don't try to rip my face off.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You should never ever trim your cats claws (unless they are a 100% inside cat). The moment your clawless cat goes outside he will be shredded

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, there is a way to do what you did and not get shredded. You take gauze bandages and wrap kitties feet in layers of it, the tie the bandages together loose enough so kitty cans still feel her feet, but tight enough she can't get it off, then bathe. Do it quickly and have everything you need right there.
I used to work at a vet's office and that is what we did to flea dip or bathe kitties.
I know, useless information now. I'm very sorry for your pain and discomfort, maybe this could help next time.

OTwolfe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like to use the type of thick gloves that people use to handle wild animals (raccoons and the like) when I bathe my kitty. Also, wrapping kitty in a towel for transport can help you from getting shredded. I also have the bathtub about 1/4 full of warm water ready, the soap ready to go (if it can be diluted, try putting it in a gallon jug of some type for easy pouring), and tons of towels on hand. Good luck next time!! Btw, cat scratches and bites can easily become infected, make sure you wash and use something like neosporin.

Mudskipper

Arachnopeon
Or you could get a topical flea treatment like Frontline, Advantage, Revolution etc. No bathing required (it's just a few drops of fluid on the back of the neck) plus it's far safer and longer lasting than any flea-dip bath. All vets and some pet stores sell the stuff. Most cats hardly even notice when you put it on them. =p

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should never ever trim your cats claws (unless they are a 100% inside cat). The moment your clawless cat goes outside he will be shredded
Not true. My cat was 16 when he died. He was declawed (front only) when he was a kitten and brought me too many presents from his outdoor conquests. The only thing that ever shredded him was cancer.

brindle

Arachnopeon
I'm so glad my cat sits still for baths. She's not happy about it, but she grudgingly accepts it.

Since your cat has such an issue with bathing, I recommend getting Frontline or Advantage as a monthly preventative so you won't have to worry about it. Stay away from Hartz brand though...there have been quite a few bad reactions from it. And be careful about getting the right strength (based on weight). Cats are very sensitive to the chemicals in them.

If you absolutely have to bathe it, wrapping it paws and always make sure it is facing away from you are good ideas.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I let the vets do it. One of my cats was just the opposite when we tried to give her a bath. Her legs were literally buckling and if we didnt hold her she would have just collapsed in the water, thats how afraid she was. No hissing or biting, just stood there terrified. So now the vets give her a bath in shallow water, and she decides to be agressive towards them, but she gets a bath at least and is less afraid now.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two cats that I've bathed since they were little. My black and white cat Simon is the best kitty when it comes to baths. He pretty much just gives up and lets me wash him. He'll even step into the water by himself and play with his rubber ducky while I get him all soaped up.
My other cat hates baths. He used to struggle and ripped one of my fav shirts one time. He got used to it though. He doesn't struggle anymore. He just cries. He sounds like a little munchkin. It's kind of funny. He never makes a sound other than when he's being washed.
I heard it helps to have a mat under then so they can hang on. Sometimes it scares them even more when it's too slippery. I don't think any cat really likes being washed but they get used to the water torture after a while :)

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not true. My cat was 16 when he died. He was declawed (front only) when he was a kitten and brought me too many presents from his outdoor conquests. The only thing that ever shredded him was cancer.
AHH! I'm sorry, but have you ever had your fingers broken and your nails pulled out, and then been expected to walk on them afterwords? That's what cats go through. I used to work with cats and the ones that were declawed were always scared of everything. They have no defense. They also tend to not be able to climb fences to get away from anything. Most vets where I live refuse to declaw cats because it's so cruel. Pleeeeeaase don't declaw :( :eek:

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can also buy kitty claw caps. Little plastic covers to put on their claws for bath time. You can take them off when the bath is over, available at most pet stores.
No amputations needed =)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
"I gave my cat a bath the other day ... they love it. He sat there, he enjoyed it, it was fun for me. The fur would stick to my tongue, but other than that..."-Steve Martin

Here are some helpful instructions that made the e-mail rounds some time back.

METHOD #1: CAT BATHING AS A MARTIAL ART

1. Know that although the kitty cat has the advantage of quickness and lack of concern for human life, you have the advantage of strength. Capitalize on that advantage by selecting the battlefield. Don't try to bathe him in an open area where he can force you to chase him. Pick a very small bathroom. If your bathroom is more than four feet square, we recommend that you get in the tub with the cat and close the sliding-glass doors as if you were about to take a shower. (A simple shower curtain will not do. A berserk cat can shred a three-ply rubber shower curtain quicker than a politician can shift positions.)

2. Know that a cat has claws and will not hesitate to remove all the skin from your body. Your advantage here is that you are smart and know how to dress to protect yourself. We recommend canvas overalls tucked into high-top construction boots, a pair of steel-mesh gloves, an army helmet, a hockey face-mask, and a long-sleeved flak jacket.

3. Use the element of surprise. Pick up your cat nonchalantly, as if to simply carry him to his supper dish. (Cats will not usually notice your strange attire. They have little or no interest in fashion as a rule.)

4. Once you are inside the bathroom, speed is essential to survival. In a single liquid motion, shut the bathroom door, step into the tub enclosure, slide the glass door shut, dip the cat in the water and squirt him with shampoo. You have now begun one of the wildest 45 seconds of your life.

5. Cats have no handles. Add the fact that he now has soapy fur, and the problem is radically compounded. Do not expect to hold on to him for more than two or three seconds at a time. When you have him, however, you must remember to give him another squirt of shampoo and rub like crazy. He'll then spring free and fall back into the water, thereby rinsing himself off. (The national record for cats is three latherings, so don't expect too much.)

6. Next, the cat must be dried. Novice cat bathers always assume this part will be the most difficult, for humans generally are worn out at this point and the cat is just getting really determined. In fact, the drying is simple compared with what you have just been through. That's because by now the cat is semi-permanently affixed to your right leg.

7. You simply pop the drain plug with your foot, reach for your towel and wait. (Occasionally, however, the cat will end up clinging to the top of your army helmet. If this happens, the best thing you can do is to shake him loose and to encourage him toward your leg.) After all the water is drained from the tub, it is a simple matter to just reach down and dry the cat.
In a few days the cat will relax enough to be removed from your leg. He will usually have nothing to say for about three weeks and will spend a lot of time sitting with his back to you. He might even become psychoceramic and develop the fixed stare of a plaster figurine.
You will be tempted to assume he is angry. This isn't usually the case. As a rule he is simply plotting ways to get through your defenses and injure you for life the next time you decide to give him a bath. But at least now he smells a lot better.

METHOD #2: FLUSH 'N FLUFF

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.
2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.
3. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.
4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape).
CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.
5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power wash and rinse' which I have found to be quite effective.
6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.
7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.
8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely,

The Dog

ta2edpop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They make a mesh bag that you can put the cat in and it zips up to their head. Then you can just lather it up and let it sit there till you rinse it off. Keeps 'um from tearing you up.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's why they make products like Advantage and Frontline! Either that, or get a bobcat; believe it or not, they LOVE water, like Labs in feline costumes! You can't keep one out of the toilet, though, and both bobcats and Maine Coons will learn to turn a faucet on, but not off. Regular ole' cats can be conditioned to accept bathing IF you start 'em out when they are kittens, but most people don't bother and it's only when they have to give the now-adult cat a bath that they wish they'd known that.

pitbulllady

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There's no real reason to bathe cats anyway.. they do that themselves with their tongues. Get Advantage/Frontline as mentioned by someone earlier. Much more effiient, no hassles, lasts longer, and you won't have to clip your cats claws.

Bengal cats love water, and they're ppuurrttyy

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cats are not clean animals. They're always covered in spit. Gross.:D

Throw the cat in a pool, by the time it reaches the side, it should be fairly clean.:D

We had a cat that had been declawed by the previous owner. He made up for it by biting. A lot. Hard. Very loving cat when he wasn't biting, though.

~Mikey

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Cat Keeper:

If you want to bathe your cat because of fleas I'd suggest that you find a
"Happy Jack" (or similar) flea flypaper trap and learn how to use it.

Fleas are attracted to light...but they can't fly.
The trap has to be set where fleas can reach it...and where cats can't.
And it works best on indoor cats that do NOT go outside because outdoor
fleas can hitch "rides" on animals that just don't know.

Even if arrivals from outdoors are not a problem you will have to retrap
because fleas act as if they are vampire cowboys.
They drink blood while they are riding around...
-and then they go to sleep off your pet...and out of sight.

Well...when they do that...
Once will not be enough.
You just have to keep at it.

Good luck!

Yours very truly,

Louise Esther Rothstein.