Caring for an Octoplegic

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She seems to be making steady improvement! Do you plan to keep her or release her if she recovers?
I'm torn on whether or not I should. I can't guarantee her safety unless I see her dig a burrow, and even then another wasp could get her. I was planning on offering her to my roommate who found her and named her Charlotte, if he's actually interested in keeping her. So far he's declined the offer. I'd love to keep her though I already have three A. chalcodes, one adult female, an immature male, and a tiny .5" sling. There is an abandoned burrow in my backyard that another A. chalcodes dug. I know this for a fact. There's a lot to consider. I welcome your opinions.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I like the name and understand the concerns with releasing. How is the poor little one doing?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I shall be the first to offer her a good home, should you wish to find a good home for her.

You have done so well with her. I hope she continues to improve! :)
She thanks you for the well wishes, and continually improves a little each day. She's even spreading her chelicerae when I touch her to roll her over. I'd like for her to have a successful molt and be completely back to normal before considering shipping her.

I like the name and understand the concerns with releasing. How is the poor little one doing?
She seems to be doing well, and is holding herself up like a normal spider, sans the walking. She's only getting stronger. I think I'll make up some roach soup for her this weekend and feed her like the rest of my Ts. Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. :biggrin:

When I watered her yesterday, the light hit her just right and I noticed what appeared to be a puncture wound on her sternum. This just about confirms the theory of a pepsis wasp attack.
DSCF1410 - Copy.jpg
Zoomed in
DSCF1412.JPG

Last edited:

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
She thanks you for the well wishes, and continually improves a little each day. She's even spreading her chelicerae when I touch her to roll her over. I'd like for her to have a successful molt and be completely back to normal before considering shipping her.
I am glad she is doing so well! :clap:

Also agree with waiting for a molt. She should fully recover after this, and I look forward to hearing of it! :D

Roach soup will do her good and help a great deal with getting much-needed nutrition. Keep us posted on how she does!

I am thinking you should keep this young T... she is a fighter and should stay with the one who is caring for her so well. ;)

Sana

Arachnoprince
+1 on keeping her with you though I'm on the long list of people that I'm sure would love to adopt your little miracle.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First of all, good on ya. Document all you can. Second, there are success stories on the ATS website.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you think this experience could permanently effect the Ts behavior? It's certainly an unusual one, but bugs presumably aren't shaped by their experiences as much as vertebrates.

FaaFaa

Arachnopeon
This has been great to read and watch. I can't imagine how time consuming this has been for you. I agree with the others that say you should keep her. You have worked hard to nurse her back to health and she deserves to stay with you.

Methal

Arachnosquire
How are things going with the little girl?
Do you think that scar on her carapace will make it difficult to break free of her molt?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you think this experience could permanently affect the Ts behavior? It's certainly an unusual one, but bugs presumably aren't shaped by their experiences as much as vertebrates.
I doubt it. A molt should clear everything up, and she'll likely be just like any other A. chaclodes, calm and sweet.
This has been great to read and watch. I can't imagine how time consuming this has been for you. I agree with the others that say you should keep her. You have worked hard to nurse her back to health and she deserves to stay with you.
It's really not that time-consuming. I just roll her over in the morning and put a drop of water in her mouth then come back 15 minutes later and do another one. She usually doesn't drink more than three a day. Once she's watered, I open her legs back up from underneath her, whisper encouragement and go about my day.
I appreciate the sentiment. She'll be loved wherever she ends up; with me or another keeper.
How are things going with the little girl?
Do you think that scar on her carapace will make it difficult to break free of her molt?
Progress is slow, but she seems to be doing fine. I don't think it will make much of a difference. I think she'll molt just fine when the time comes.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Been doing some reading if in fact it has been stung by a pepsis wasp, the effects will last for several weeks at least, if they ever wear off.

The sting of the female pepsis wasp:
"…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt sting pain index,
- wiki

The tarantula would have to remain paralized long enough for the egg of the wasp to hatch, feed, pupate and leave. When they feed they avoid vital organs 'as long as possible'
does not sound fun at all.

You might be with that little lady for a while. I've never heard, and cant find anything on recovery for a tarantula post pepsis sting.
Youre a pioneer there myfriend. Document well =D

EDIT: what kind of pepsis wasps live in your area?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Again, I am in awe of ur kindness - what a lucky little one!! Let us know if she molts!!!

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
EDIT: what kind of pepsis wasps live in your area?
Big ones! I actually posted this picture in another picture thread of a pepsis wasp dragging off a T. I couldn't save it because there were a bunch of naturalists all around it taking pictures following it around and saying how awesome it was. This photo was taken two days before my little angel came to me. At the time I thought that spider was a goner anyway.
Photo Oct 25, 4 46 35 PM.jpg

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt it. A molt should clear everything up, and she'll likely be just like any other A. chaclodes, calm and sweet.
I was wondering more if she'd become less reactive to human interference. When she gets a little better and more mobile, I'm curious to find out if she'll be less receptive to being tended to, or if she'll just become used to being picked up and flipped over all the time.

How do you know when she's had enough to drink?

Search for "Pat's Miracle"... Story is documented on several tarantula forums.
I can't find the story in it's entirety, only mentions of it. Do I need an ATSHQ account to read it?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering more if she'd become less reactive to human interference. When she gets a little better and more mobile, I'm curious to find out if she'll be less receptive to being tended to, or if she'll just become used to being picked up and flipped over all the time.
I'll let you know!

How do you know when she's had enough to drink?
She simply stops drinking. The droplet just sits on her mouthparts until I touch a napkin to it to absorb the water.

I can't find the story in it's entirety, only mentions of it. Do I need an ATSHQ account to read it?
I believe you do need to sign up for an account. I can't access it either.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Big ones! I actually posted this picture in another picture thread of a pepsis wasp dragging off a T. I couldn't save it because there were a bunch of naturalists all around it taking pictures following it around and saying how awesome it was. This photo was taken two days before my little angel came to me. At the time I thought that spider was a goner anyway.
View attachment 132237
What do these wasps do for the environment ? Could You help Out T population by hunting down & Exterminating some of there nests?
I guess god make the pepsis wasp so it must be good, but it is killing Ts. It needs Exterminated to in areas with small T populations.

Cannot use pesticides , id rather leave pepsis wasp Alone then use them they will kill everything & cause cancer in humans. :eek:
These wasps are the size of birds !! 2-3"?? body-length and 5" wingspan Huge!!!