caribena versicolor

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
So I’ve had my caribena versicolor for less than 2 years now (could be wrong I’m horrid with time) and I would say they’re juvenile now. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I’m not sure if they’re (not sure if male/female yet) just not hungry or doesn’t like mealworms anymore. But they have refused to eat for weeks now. They keep moving around and doing tarantula things, but every time I try to feed them they either run away or flick hairs at me. I know the older a T gets the less they eat so I was wondering if that’s the case or just doesn’t like the food I’m feeding anymore.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I’ve had my caribena versicolor for less than 2 years now (could be wrong I’m horrid with time) and I would say they’re juvenile now. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I’m not sure if they’re (not sure if male/female yet) just not hungry or doesn’t like mealworms anymore. But they have refused to eat for weeks now. They keep moving around and doing tarantula things, but every time I try to feed them they either run away or flick hairs at me. I know the older a T gets the less they eat so I was wondering if that’s the case or just doesn’t like the food I’m feeding anymore.
Post images of spider and setup.

Generally speaking, fasting in and of itself is not an issue so long as the abdomen is sufficiently sized. However, there are a number of factors that, if present, could pose an issue.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I’m thinking it could be a MM, can you post a pic of the pedipalps and front legs? By the coloration and size, if it’s not an adult it’s close

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
drinking water.
Drinking water is a very good sign. If she is refusing to each mealworms try switching it up a little. Maybe some crickets or roaches, she might be more inclined to go after something that moves more then a mealworm. If she still refuses to eat, there is a good chance she is going to molt eventually. It looks like she has a nice plump rump, I wouldn't be too concerned. Ts go on hunger strikes all the time, most common is a molt in the future. I've had a T not eat for 6-7 months, and one day she just decided she wanted to eat again.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
They’re “rump” is very plump so I wasn’t to too concerned. I have been killing the mealworms before feeding but I will try switching it up. I didn’t want the critters roaming around the enclosure and possibly harming them

I’m thinking it could be a MM, can you post a pic of the pedipalps and front legs? By the coloration and size, if it’s not an adult it’s close
I really hope they’re not a male 😭!
I can try but they like to hide and I’d have to wait til they’re chilling on the side of the enclosure to take a picture of the underside

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Crush the head of the mealworms. You can try something else, but if it’s a MM it’s not gonna eat much anymore

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Crush the head of the mealworms. You can try something else, but if it’s a MM it’s not gonna eat much anymore
I e been crushing the head so they still move about a wee bit. I just looked and they’re hiding so I can’t take a picture of the underside. Really hope they’re not a MM, and I’ll still try feeding them periodically, and if they don’t eat I’ll assume MM.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
The underside won’t be super helpful unless you get someone good at centrally sexing, but if you see it building a sperm web it would also be an indication. The pedipalps and front couple legs are the tell

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
The underside won’t be super helpful unless you get someone good at centrally sexing, but if you see it building a sperm web it would also be an indication. The pedipalps and front couple legs are the tell

I’ll have to keep a lookout when they come out of hiding to look at the pedipalps and front legs. So far don’t see any sign of a sperm web. But thanks everyone for the help! I’m not as concerned anymore

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
C. versicolor does not kick urticating bristles. They have type 2 urticating setea and they raise their abdomen to try and rub them on you. Actually if you touch them, they don't seek you out trying to rub them on you. Only when they feel threaten.

Just a recommendation but I would replace the screen top with acryllic. It's a nice setup overall I like it.

Well don't fret over your versi not eating. I have a 4 inch one that fast for extended periods. Yours looks healthy from what I can make out from the photos just let it be. It'll eat when it's ready.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought versi could only rub UrS against a subject, not flick them.

Eiki

Arachnopeon
Yes, C. versicolor can indeed kick hairs, it's true. I have seen mine do it, though it's not very common.
There's a paper on it somewhere IIRC, I'll see if I can find it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yes, C. versicolor can indeed kick hairs, it's true. I have seen mine do it, though it's not very common.

Nice one, I went to make breakfast and forgot to look for it lol. Yeah, they're more likely to poop snipe you IME.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Anubis2 Try some appropriate sized crickets or B. lateralis roaches, they elicit a much stronger hunting response and least in my experience they have. You can have them in there just don’t leave them in for more than 24hrs

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

Well looks like I stand corrected thanks for the link. I never read from anyone that kept versi's that they kick setea.

I have to say mine never has, not once. It would be a very rare occasion, majority would flee, jump or shoot poop at you. Mine never even raised it's abdomen to me.

On the flip side I do not screw with it so that would be why I never get any defensive nature.

Water and food is about it. It just shoots into it's web cocoon that's it.

Last edited:

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Well looks like I stand corrected thanks for the link. I never read from anyone that kept versi's that they kick setea.

I have to say mine never has, not once. It would be a very rare occasion, majority would flee, jump or shoot poop at you. Mine never even raised it's abdomen to me.

On the flip side I do not screw with it so that would be why I never get any defensive nature.

Water and food is about it. It just shoots into it's web cocoon that's it.
I’ve gotten the web cocoon before and I’ve even gotten threat posture when trying to feed a worm and I guess they didn’t like the worm that day. I chucked it up to being a moody teenager lol

@Anubis2 Try some appropriate sized crickets or B. lateralis roaches, they elicit a much stronger hunting response and least in my experience they have. You can have them in there just don’t leave them in for more than 24hrs
I will definitely try those!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I’ve gotten the web cocoon before and I’ve even gotten threat posture when trying to feed a worm and I guess they didn’t like the worm that day. I chucked it up to being a moody teenager lol
Oh my you do have a moody one. You don't try handling it do you?

It's not out of the norm for any T to become defensive, no matter how docile a genus and species is overall.

I have plans on buying at least 5 or more T's. The ones I want are spicier in temperament. However everytime I plan on making purchases I have other financial obligations that pop up. Like just paying off my car last weekend.

Then there's the matter on space. Sure slings take up no room. I'm looking at the bigger picture like when they are adults with larger enclosures and where to keep them, it's an issue.

There is also the issue that I do not have a bath tub or confined area to rehouse Fiesty tarantulas.

Oh the dilemas