Caribena versicolor molting?

Sae Kuro

Arachnopeon
I got two C. versicolor half inch slings around a week ago. Both have been taking cut up mealworms until two days ago and now I found one of them midair on their backs in a silk hammock like structure. Just want to confirm if it is currently undergoing a molt.

Current conditions: 32 oz deli cup tall with a bottle cap water dish at the bottom for humidity (I do not sprat). Peat moss substrate approx 1.5 inches, lots of plastic plants, long fiber sphagnum moss at the top and three black nylon elastic chords attached from side to side (wood and organic matter molds too easily in my house). Ventilation is three to four rows on the sides, three rows on top and three rows going down until the top of the substrate on both sides.

Any input or suggestions?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Just want to confirm if it is currently undergoing a molt.
yep
Current conditions: 32 oz deli cup tall with a bottle cap water dish at the bottom for humidity (I do not sprat). Peat moss substrate approx 1.5 inches, lots of plastic plants, long fiber sphagnum moss at the top and three black nylon elastic chords attached from side to side (wood and organic matter molds too easily in my house). Ventilation is three to four rows on the sides, three rows on top and three rows going down until the top of the substrate on both sides
Set up looks really good. The only thing i would add would be a larger flat piece of wood...this allows them a hunting and stretching platform.

Sae Kuro

Arachnopeon
Would a large, flat silk plant leave do the trick? Wood molds really easily for me (swapped out a few pieces of bamboo and coconut shell out on the third day when i saw mold and converted it to plastic only enclosure)

Are there any wood substitutes I could use that is made of plastic?

And literally it just flipped itself back over.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Would a large, flat silk plant leave do the trick? Wood molds really easily for me (swapped out a few pieces of bamboo and coconut shell out on the third day when i saw mold and converted it to plastic only enclosure)

Are there any wood substitutes I could use that is made of plastic?
Cork is pretty mold resistant...as is drift wood.

Your mold issue lies with your lack of ventilation. With better venting and a dry enclosure, mold should not be an issue.

Also, if any wood is too fresh, it will hold moisture and become a beacon for molt...so its imperative to make sure the wood is dry....fresh wood is never gong to work (not saying that's what you were using, just sayin').

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's easy to tell if versi slings are going to molt as the dorso-anterior portion of abdomen color change is easy to spot against their brilliant blue.

Sae Kuro

Arachnopeon
What color do they change to? The sides of the abdomen look maroon/brownish color

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What color do they change to? The sides of the abdomen look maroon/brownish color
Varies with size. Also what I see as X color, you may see a different color because color is often subjective.