Species Caribena versicolor (a.k.a. Avicularia versicolor)

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Becca, are you making any changes to the environmental conditions to encourage the female to lay? I understand that getting conditions condusive to laying a healthy sack can be quite the challenge.

I wish you the very best success.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Keef said:
Becca, are you making any changes to the environmental conditions to encourage the female to lay? I understand that getting conditions condusive to laying a healthy sack can be quite the challenge.

I wish you the very best success.
Honestly, I've been doing some reading on what others have done, but I haven't really found anything definitive on what I should be doing. Pretty much, I'm trying to feed her well (although she hasn't eaten anything since just before mating), keep her warm, and make sure that there is appropriate moisture/humidity.

If anyone has any special tips, I'd love to hear them. :)

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, i finally got around to getting some pictures of this little guy. It looks amazing under natural light, but under the flash, the irridescence really shows up well. I got this about a month and a half ago from my brother. The thing is REALLY quick! It took a while for it to calm down enough to get a couple pictures, but here is the best one. Right now it is a little under 1/2", so I'm expecting that I'll have plenty more opportunities for pictures as it gets older.

-philip

Attachments

mybabyhasfangs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aww, they are so cute at this age. I have a few slings a little bigger than yours, and love them! Great pic!

Chris

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
nice t! i just finally got my first versi a few days ago and its the same size. heh yea i let it crawl on my hand when moving it and it did a few little short sprints if my hand moved a little quick for it...was easy getting it on there..but was a little tricky getting it to crawl off me and into its new home.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice looking T you have there !
Some day i will own one , thanks for sharing ! :clap:

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
xgrafcorex said:
nice t! i just finally got my first versi a few days ago and its the same size. heh yea i let it crawl on my hand when moving it and it did a few little short sprints if my hand moved a little quick for it...was easy getting it on there..but was a little tricky getting it to crawl off me and into its new home.
yeah, i was misting the container it's in right now, a ~2"x2"x2"plastic cube and it decided not to stay on the bottom, but explore the outside. i got it just as it was climbing over the edge of the container, and spent about 5 minutes trying to get it to calm down enough to sit 5 seconds for a flash...mine did the sprinting thing a bit, and i swear sometimes it would jump from hand to hand. it then took another 5 minutes trying to get it to go back into its container.

it did prompt a "let's take pictures of holding the bugs" spree though, and i got a couple with one of my G. aureostriata and WC scolopendra polymorpha.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She's staying now behind the corkbark in her tank and I have a piece of black posterboard covering the entire section. I checked on her this evening and found that she's doing some extra webbing. I don't know if it means anything or not.

BPruett

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow

Just amazing, best of luck with the breeding!:worship:

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How many days since the female last molted and you introduced the male.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's awesome!:clap: Hope all goes well with the sac.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
...and we have a sac :D :D :D

:clap: :clap: Good luck, make sure you keep the humidity at a decent level and all should go well, all my little avics have been good little mommies unlike those evil irminia's... Greg

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks, everyone!

What you see in the picture is actually the back of the tank. There is black posterboard over that area which I opened to take the picture. I stupidly glued the corkbark to the back of the tank when I set everything up, so there's no way to get to the sac. :eek:

I just hope this sac goes well... :)

slingshot71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My versi molted last week and is finally showing some adult colors:

You gotta love those furry purple legs!

He she is back in mid January:

Thanks for looking.
Kevin